IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No.
The context is very plain.

"They" is the same context, every time, there.

And what I said, stands.

Addison
New No. No No

For the sake of clarity let me illustrate a point re 'they' ...

If we see a TV report that shows a bearded muslim being interviewed and he is asked what he thinks of the Sept 11th attack & he obviously is anti US & replies

"America got what was coming to them - they were asking for it" (I use these words because they are exactly what one idiot said)

We would both be justified in arguing that this guy was ill informed & really doesn't know what he is saying. He obviously doesn't know who 'they' really are that he is specifically referring to or, is just too stupid to really think about what he said.

His 'they' turn out to be women, children men, pilots, passengers, wives, Christians, Muslims, Hindus and from many nations. No armed soldiers, no leaders & not all Americans.

So in his logic just who does he really mean deserved 'it' ??? - I doubt it is those just mentioned, especially the muslims.

You say I am nit-picking in criticising your broad use of 'they' - what I am attemting to point out is that the 'they' in Afghanistan are many groups as explained elsewhere and also this thread was to do with Ramadan and the possible hostility that might erupt if the west is seen as causing collateral damage & mayhem to innocent 'collaterals' during a special period in these peoples lives. Your use of they clearly covers more than just the terrorists.

My further accusation is that you are forgetting that US has gone into Afghanistan to destroy terrorist bases & try to capture Bin Laden. The Taliban are a pheripheral target because their leader wouldn't hand over OBL. But even Colin Powell is saying that the next governement may need to contain Taliban moderates so lets cut out any argument that implys all Taliban are US enemies or should be hunted & killed - the only Taliban that are our legitimate targets are those that get in the way of the real goal of attacking terrorism & getting OBL. It doesn't mean that it is a turkey shoot.

US is *not* invading Afghanistan. US is conducting raids in Afghanistan in pursuit of its legitimate goals as stated. Even accidentaly pissing on Afghan citizens during Ramadan is not a clever neither a friend winning tactic neither is it neccesary in winning these anti-terrorist goals.

The cynical motive here is not love of humanity but self-preservation, our self-preservation. Applying black-white rules such as - 'they' are enemy, fu** Ramadan, bad luck mr & mrs collateral, will whip up a sh** load of Muslim reaction that might just be enough to topple Pakistan, Indonesia & drag in India, etc: etc: etc: (Bin Laden's dream come true). I don't want to be dragged into fight WW3 or a Muslim vs West war or any war, if it can be avoided by sensibly pusuing our goals.

In summary I repeat how grateful I am that Colin Powell is calling the shots.
Cheers

Doug Marker

New Alas, I'm afraid that in US - it will likely be about
amorphous theys. It is the easier path, and the one most often followed in politics here (in what now replaces: what was once actual debate - long ago - with real speakers and real debate rules. Orators even, understood by listeners with a vocabularly of more than 200 words).

Remember - our actual President can only manage about two-syllable words, extemporaneously - 90% of those.. slogans. (He can read longer ones, though)

I suppose that it shall devolve on the usual Luck, and the hope that faith in Colin Powell was not misplaced (and that he possesses sufficient moxie in the reborn Bush-I executive branch - to prevail).

{sigh}

I don't look for there being lengthy and profound congressional debate, consultation with open-minded Admin chiefs -- just sound bytes intoduced by the Popular talking heads on Tee Vee and.. slogans. Lots of slogans with they in them. The inanity of local talking-heads has to be experienced, to believe. They speak almost entirely in cliches (as in the Tom Tomorrow cartoon).

And action. Must be action or - well, there's got to be an election coming up, and 'being soft on Islam' is not an unthinkable next slogan. Here.

Sorry - it's gonna be a crap shoot - no matter what is at stake in this mine field. Subtlety is not typically us. (This could be a first, though. Many thought precipitate action would already have occurred...)

Ashton
New Re: No. No No
The Taliban are a pheripheral target because their leader wouldn't hand over OBL.

No. They're a main target because they've protected, sponsored, and nurtured him.

How much was who running who is obviously, in some debate.

The Taliban as it stands now, must fall, according to US doctrine. And I don't really disagree with that.

Taliban moderates

I *really* suggest you read up on the Taliban you want to spare.

Of course, your use of "Taliban" is subject to question, but *I* won't get into that contest with you, since there are bigger issues on the table.

Applying black-white rules such as - 'they' are enemy, fu** Ramadan, bad luck mr & mrs collateral, will whip up a sh** load of Muslim reaction that might just be enough to topple Pakistan, Indonesia

Which isn't what *I've* said, and your inability to read that isn't my fault.

But *not* doing what we're there to do because its Ramadan makes *no sense*. Not even from a standpoint that you're taking it. The "moderates" understand the attack. Anybody who doesn't, wouldn't care.

I'll ask you again: How will the US definately benefit - no "mights" or anything, *what* part of the Islamic world would be "impressed" with us not attacking?

And so you're saying its *OK* to bomb as long as its NOT a holiday?

Addison
"No. They're a main target because they've protected, sponsored, and nurtured him. "

We will never make progress in any discussion as long as generic labels gat applied and there are no boundaries around the.

"The Taliban as it stands now, must fall, according to US doctrine. And I don't really disagree with that."

That is an given !!! - this whole thread is about how & when & who gets included - during Ramadan!!!

Applying black-white rules such as - 'they' are enemy, fu** Ramadan, bad luck mr & mrs collateral, will
whip up a sh** load of Muslim reaction that might just be enough to topple Pakistan, Indonesia
"Which isn't what *I've* said, and your inability to read that isn't my fault."

You are saying that bombing should continue no matter what special time it is. I have agreed except I added that civillian areas should be avoided during Ramadan so as to clearly avoid collateral casualties - you countered that that makes no difference as Taliban are moving their soldiers into civillian areas and any one who does that & any civilians that let it happen are bad luck targets - I reminded you that the US went into Afghanistan to attack terrorist bases & capture Bin Laden. So I restated the case bluntly - now contradict the above paragraph.

"But *not* doing what we're there to do because its Ramadan makes *no sense*. Not even from a
standpoint that you're taking it. The "moderates" understand the attack. Anybody who doesn't, wouldn't
care."

I certainly *never* said we shouldn't stop hitting OBL bases & going after Bin Laden during Ramadan. I have said that we need to show sensitivity to the effect on civillians.

You have ignored the points re the instability of Pakistan & the potential to trigger a wider crisis if we don't show care during Ramadan ****re the civilians*****
You keep stating that Taliban are all targets but you won't qualify why you believe the assault should switch from terorists & OBL & el qaeda - since when did ordinary Taliban soldiers attack New York. No one is arguing that if they try to stop the pusuit of primary goals they will have to be dealt with. US plan is to weaken Taliban & allow other groups to move in but to allow a settlement that includes moderates if Bin Laden is handed over. It seems you would rather burn all our negotiating bridges as well as risk a wider crisis by allowing collateral casualties during Ramadan.

I will again say thank god Colin Powell is calling the shots. He has the maturity and experience to deal with the Ramadan issue. I am willing to bet on it.

Cheers

Doug
I certainly *never* said we shouldn't stop hitting OBL bases & going after Bin Laden during Ramadan. I have said that we need to show sensitivity to the effect on civillians.

So...

What's the *difference* then?

We're showing sensitivity *now*?

But its OK not to, as long as its not a Holiday?

Addison

Good boy !!

'Your' sensitivity overwhelms me.

Again - thank god Powell is in charge.

November 17th deadline for military action - (bluke) - (112)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (addison) - (10)
             Sensitivity is very important here - (Steven A S) - (9)
                 I don't think so. - (addison) - (8)
                     But what of sensitivity toward Islam itself? - (marlowe) - (6)
                         Ah, the tolerance of the man. - (Silverlock)
                         Missing the point - (hnick)
                         Other ways to look at it.. - (addison) - (3)
                             I'm presuming that we can keep an eye on the situation... - (marlowe) - (2)
                                 Problem is... - (addison) - (1)
                                     I can't parse it any better than that either. - (Ashton)
                     I see the fence sitters as - (Steven A S)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (rsf) - (40)
             Tend to agree. Remember the Tet Offensive? - (drewk) - (39)
                 Thank you for reading my mind. - (jb4)
                 Fool me twice, shame on me. - (marlowe) - (37)
                     Re: Fool me twice, shame on me. - (addison) - (36)
                         Re: Wakeup call: So many missing the point - (dmarker2) - (35)
                             !Vietnam - (kmself) - (30)
                                 Re: Not the same debate ??? - (dmarker2)
                                 Death toll majority non-citizens? - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                     Wikipedia - (kmself) - (1)
                                         The numbers are in flux. AP story. - (Another Scott)
                                 Where thugs come from - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     Yep. But not as late as the 20th century - (admin) - (3)
                                         to google or not to google - (Silverlock) - (2)
                                             My own faulty memory... - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Vaguely remember a movie about this - (Silverlock)
                                 Tremendous analogy! - (jb4) - (1)
                                     Cancer - (kmself)
                                 You make me look moderate by comparison! - (marlowe) - (17)
                                     Its a common sense approach. - (addison) - (16)
                                         Re: who is the 'they' you write of ? - (dmarker2) - (15)
                                             They is somewhat fluid, depending on context. - (addison) - (14)
                                                 Re: I think you have lost sight of who - (dmarker2) - (13)
                                                     No, its not I with the lost sight. - (addison) - (12)
                                                         Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                                             Re: Springing Bin Laden's trap - (addison) - (10)
                                                                 Re: Consider this ... - (dmarker2) - (9)
                                                                     Re: Consider this ... - (addison) - (8)
                                                                         Re: stick to the facts - (dmarker2) - (7)
                                                                             I'm not the one moving away from them - (addison) - (6)
                                                                                 Re: wrapping up - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                                                                     Re: wrapping up - (addison) - (4)
                                                                                         Re: wrapping up - another try - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                                                             Retch out? - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                                                                 Ah.. the 1+1 certain logic of the unwarranted kewl buttinski -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                                                 Re: Retch out? - (dmarker2)
                                 OT: thugs. And comments. - (Another Scott)
                             Getting into possible Godwin territory, but... - (jb4) - (3)
                                 Also, Nazism wasn't backed by an ancient and venerable... - (marlowe)
                                 Re: Getting into possible Godwin territory, Headfirst !!! - (dmarker2)
                                 Point of order. Godwin. - (Ashton)
         Good time - (JayMehaffey) - (2)
             We'll have a great advantage in winter though. - (admin) - (1)
                 Possibly. - (addison)
         Re: November 17th deadline for military action - (gtall) - (56)
             Re: It is simpler than that - (dmarker2) - (55)
                 Less simple. - (addison) - (8)
                     Re: 'they' - yet again - (dmarker2) - (7)
                         No. - (addison) - (6)
                             No. No No - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                 Alas, I'm afraid that in US - it will likely be about - (Ashton)
                                 Re: No. No No - (addison) - (3)
                                     Re: No. No No - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                         Re: No. No No - (addison) - (1)
                                             Re: No. No No - (dmarker2)
                 Re: It is simpler than that - (gtall) - (45)
                     Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (44)
                         You're not seeing something very important. - (addison) - (1)
                             Re: maybe we are honing in on something here - (dmarker2)
                         Re: Cant even you see ... - (gtall) - (22)
                             Heh.. luck? - (Ashton)
                             Re: Cant even you see ... - (dmarker2) - (20)
                                 Ashton has a kernel of a good idea ... - (gtall) - (19)
                                     Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (Ashton) - (3)
                                         Re: Heh.. nice lateral pass near the (endzone?) - (gtall) - (2)
                                             I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                 Re: I'm *certain* that you know my fav academia quote (!) - (gtall)
                                     Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (dmarker2) - (14)
                                         Re: Greatly enjoyed that ... - (gtall) - (13)
                                             OK.. Spike Jones! (In Der F\ufffdehrer's Face)____:-\ufffd - (Ashton) - (12)
                                                 Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                     Re: OK.. Spike Jones! & the city slickers - beetlebomb - (gtall) - (2)
                                                         Also, Car Talk on NPR - "Click & Clack the Tappit brothers" -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                                                         They seemed closest that.. '50s Murican culture could abide - (Ashton)
                                                 Dinner music for people who aren't really hungry - (wharris2) - (7)
                                                     Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (6)
                                                         Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (5)
                                                             Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                 Re: Ear candy for the noise hungry - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                     Re: We live in interesting times - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                         cackle - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                             Re: cackle - (dmarker2)
                         Human Shields, Information Warfare - (kmself) - (18)
                             Is there reason to believe US means to stifle al-Jazeera? - (Ashton) - (5)
                                 Yes - (kmself) - (4)
                                     No less disturbing, for being so utterly unsurprising :[ -NT - (Ashton)
                                     What? - (addison) - (2)
                                         Well.. both are still in bizness - (Ashton)
                                         Mahr was publicly censured, Onion commented on it - (kmself)
                             Re: A well argued and reasoned case - thanks - (dmarker2) - (11)
                                 I think you're missing something. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                     Re: I think you're missing something. - (dmarker2)
                                 Taliban troops - (kmself) - (8)
                                     Re: Taliban troops - US invasion ? - (dmarker2) - (5)
                                         Occupation - (kmself) - (4)
                                             Re: Occupation - (wharris2) - (2)
                                                 Bosnia - (kmself)
                                                 Kosovo - (Arkadiy)
                                             Occupation update: SF Chron, US to base ops in Afghanistan - (kmself)
                                     Who is going to deal with these refugees? - (bluke) - (1)
                                         Changes like a kaleidoscope daily.. - (Ashton)

We know better than to wear plaid and stripes together.
130 ms