IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The problem with Java model is that I cannot
declare exception "not thrown" in the implementation of interface. I do not think a solution is possible within the confines of static type checking, and that makes Java's checked exceptions bad.
--

The number of the beast - vi vi vi
--[link|http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?QuotesOnComputers|Delexa Jones]
New Re: The problem with Java model is that I cannot
I'm not sure why you think that's "bad." I'm assuming it's because, since your implementation of the interface doesn't actually throw the exception, that it would be nice to not have to declare it. However, the client of that interface should view your implemetation as just that interface, in which case, the designer of the interface made the decision that it should be part of the signature (whether they were correct or not is another thing).

In other words, a checked exception in a signature helps define that method, regardless of whether it's used or not (just like parameters can be ignored, but are still there). My point is that it may be the poor design of the interface, or it may be that the designer wanted the user of that interface to be aware (and effectively force them to handle the interface a certain way). I don't see it as a problem with the concept of checked exceptions, though.

Dan
     Exception Handling Policy - (JimWeirich) - (48)
         Possibly it depends on what level of code you are writing... - (Simon_Jester) - (38)
             Ditto. - (admin) - (37)
                 Because checked exceptions are STOOPID! - (tuberculosis) - (35)
                     One reason I like Spring Framework - (admin) - (1)
                         Absolutely - (bluke)
                     Re: Because checked exceptions are STOOPID! - (dshellman) - (23)
                         One respectable reason - (admin) - (13)
                             Re: One respectable reason - (dshellman) - (12)
                                 The problem with Java model is that I cannot - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                     Re: The problem with Java model is that I cannot - (dshellman)
                                 But that would (i.e, *does*) defeat the whole purpose! - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                     ICLRPD (new thread) - (drewk)
                                     Re: But that would (i.e, *does*) defeat the whole purpose! - (dshellman) - (1)
                                         Sorry, either I don't get your meaning, or you didn't mine. - (CRConrad)
                                 What ends up happening ... - (bluke) - (5)
                                     Re: What ends up happening ... - (dshellman) - (4)
                                         Re: What ends up happening ... - (tuberculosis)
                                         You didn't answer the question ... - (bluke) - (2)
                                             Re: You didn't answer the question ... - (dshellman) - (1)
                                                 A number of comments - (bluke)
                         We already discussed this - (ben_tilly) - (8)
                             Re: We already discussed this - (dshellman) - (7)
                                 Blame the tool - (tuberculosis)
                                 You're right, that is unfortunate - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                                     Re: You're right, that is unfortunate - (dshellman) - (4)
                                         You have to balance benefit/cost - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                             s/Knuth/Dijkstra/ - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
                                                 I had it right the first time - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                     I stand corrected then. - (a6l6e6x)
                     Re: Because checked exceptions are STOOPID! - (dshellman) - (8)
                         Hmm... - (CRConrad)
                         One phrase says it all. - (Arkadiy) - (6)
                             Caught my eye too - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: One phrase says it all. - (dshellman) - (4)
                                 I remain unconvinced - (tuberculosis)
                                 A Further Question on the Code Example - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                                     Re: A Further Question on the Code Example - (dshellman)
                                 Bad for class libraries? - (Arkadiy)
                 Re: Ditto. - (JimWeirich)
         I meant Exception the class - (bluke) - (7)
             Don't catch null pointer exceptions? - (JimWeirich) - (6)
                 In development yes - (bluke) - (5)
                     Re: In development yes - (JimWeirich) - (4)
                         Agreed - (bluke) - (3)
                             So wouldn't the remedy be... - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 cf. Spring Framework :-) -NT - (admin)
                                 I agree ... - (bluke)
         Another reason to catch specifics - (jb4)

Better than a kick to the head with a frozen mukluk.
70 ms