IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: 'Too cheap to meter' . . .
Why do you have to build huge gigawatt reactor complexes? Why not smaller ones, say enough to run a part of town (or an entire small town), with a backup on site? The hydro plants could be diverted to "big jobs" or supply a part of the overall grid.

Waste disposal - this is bear, yes - but I still can't see why some of the huge savings of an established, distributed nuke grid could not be plowed into digging extremely deep storage mines.

Mines need not be wide, just very deep. Automated drillers could bore down for miles - even to the aesthenosphere (remember the "Moho" project?). Once in place you only need throw the waste in and cap the mine when at some determined capacity.

Also, since you've been around the whole time, when did people *really* start to think of nukes as evil? Even I remember as a kid talks of "free unlimited energy" from nukes.

edit: Project Mohole [link|http://www7.nationalacademies.org/archives/amsoc.html|http://www7.national...chives/amsoc.html]

It also occurs to me you could use hydrogen devices for mining storage cavities - drill a very deep hole, set off a really big nuke, instant spherical chamber :)
-drl
Expand Edited by deSitter Jan. 25, 2004, 11:21:00 PM EST
New Problems of scale.
If you're going to have all the technology for safety in place, and the monitoring, and highly trained staff and other overhead required to run dangerous high technology, and expensive insurance, you've got to be running on a scale that can pay for that. The overhead for a small nuke isn't going to be that much different from a big nuke, so bigger is better.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
     Should we redevelop nuclear power? - (deSitter) - (35)
         Depends. - (Another Scott)
         'Too cheap to meter' . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (6)
             Alternative sources of energy - (orion) - (3)
                 Landfills - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                     Problem with landfills - (orion) - (1)
                         I'm not saying use it for fuel . . - (Andrew Grygus)
             Re: 'Too cheap to meter' . . . - (deSitter) - (1)
                 Problems of scale. - (Andrew Grygus)
         strontium ninety reactors - (boxley)
         Some pro-nuke information - (deSitter)
         Re: Should we redevelop nuclear power? NO - (Ashton) - (10)
             Biggest reason for a resounding No Way in Hell! - (Silverlock) - (6)
                 Re: Biggest reason for a resounding No Way in Hell! - (deSitter) - (5)
                     Strange - (Silverlock) - (4)
                         There are really no alternatives - (deSitter) - (3)
                             There will be foxhole conversions... - (inthane-chan)
                             You're not looking - (tuberculosis)
                             Re: There are really no alternatives - in haste - (Ashton)
             Remember this, you can never put too much water in a nuclear - (orion)
             Little comparison - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                 Point >|< missed - (Ashton)
         'potentially unacceptable consequences' - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
             ROFL - (deSitter) - (11)
                 And in other historic proud moments... - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Speaking of bombing SC: remember "Special Bulletin"? - (Another Scott) - (1)
                         And on that serious note - (deSitter)
                 Commercial reactors would be much safer . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (7)
                     ROFL! - (deSitter)
                     Remember flic re nuke sub, ship in 'conflict'? - (Ashton) - (5)
                         The Bedford Incident - (altmann)
                         Hunt For Red October, IIRC. -NT - (pwhysall) - (3)
                             Nope. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 Definitely "The Bedford Incident" - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                     Ah.. "The Bells of St. Mary's" - (Ashton)
         "Is there any hope for nuclear power?" - (jb4)

I was trying to read your bio when it got chucked clear off the screen by a Jimmy Dean sausage pancake.
109 ms