IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've met you and you act like you don't give a shit
I read your article. I've read enough articles that seriously misreport what scientists say to never accept quotes out of context. I've also read articles from scientists who are pissed off and frustrated over being constantly misquoted. That is so even when you don't add possible language difficulties (bad translations, etc) to the possibilities for misinterpretation. Plus we have the prospect of some hacks in The Communist Party who don't understand what they are talking about but see the opportunity for some publicity. Ugly mix.

OK, it is in The Boston Globe, which limits how intentionally misreported things are. However my impression of reporters is that they generally don't understand the subject that they are reporting, and show a combination of looking for sensational angles to stories while doing as little actual work as possible. The result is not particularly accurate.

In this particular case, Chen could easily have been talking about a classic gradualism vs rapid evolution debate, and his "harmony" could be rapid co-evolution. I don't know that. I don't have his papers available. But when I googled for more, the best that I could find was [link|http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&frame=right&rnum=1&thl=0,1624866489,1624808500,1624791143,1624782978,1624735252,1624726748,1624695954,1623996043,1624542267,1624524504,1624506909&seekm=dY%3DPN6LVWnCXP%3Dk2%3D1WQJoEhV3Te%404ax.com#link1|this thread] which includes the quotes in the Globe article and lots of links to this paleontologist's work, all of which are now broken.

However comments made in that thread suggest that people who got to put some context around the quotes felt that his conclusions were misinterpreted badly. Furthermore his conclusions could simply be wrong. For instance suppose that the Cambrian explosion took place in shallow seas around one continent over an extended time period. We don't have many deposits from that time, and so have no records from that continent. When drift pushed that continent near enough to others, the ecosystem exploded out. Voila! Tons of animals and no trace of ancestors anywhere that we can find!

This becomes reasonable hypothesis when you consider that we have evidence that the end of the Pre-Cambrian saw a major continental collision, and all areas which we have record of saw massive ice in the Pre-Cambrian.

Incidentally there are theories that might explain why evolution should be particularly rapid through the Cambrian explosion. For a random instance see [link|http://pr.caltech.edu/media/lead/072497JLK.html|this hypothesis].

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New good link pole shifts can and do explain a lot
stick a spork in it.

questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Hey - You can't do THAT!
This is supposed to be flames.
You take a position, stupid or not, and argue until someone dies.
You can't even hint about the possibilty the the previous post
was misguided.

STICK TO YOUR POSITION DAMMIT!

Or take the thread to someone like science.
New naw busy trying to find the link
where ben said he didnt think pole shifts took place, memory is going though, Although that link supports m position, ever try a potters wheel, try a cosmic one.
thanx,
bill
stick a spork in it.

New Dream on
I think that there was such a discussion..but the pole shifts under discussion then were so different in time frames (both when they happened, and the speed with which they happened) that none of my objections apply to the article that I just linked on the pre-Cambrian.

But feel free to dream that somewhere there is a post that says whatever you want it to. Just don't confuse that with reality.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New a squint in yer eye
now I member I had confused a pole shift with a magnetic pole shift and you set me straight, back to work
grr,
bill
stick a spork in it.

New Poleax shifts..
Eons ago, I saw a letter from a guy who described self as a "Gyroscope Tinkerer". He'd sent his 'work' to a physicist friend, and we examined it.

It consisted of a series of Amazing Coincidences\ufffd.. wherein he tended to divide certain Large Numbers into other Large Numbers (like the mean distance Sun-Earth, Earth diameter, a value for G, pi, etc. etc.) Of course all these divisions were without regard to the Units, number of significant digits in the 'values' etc.

He would find that, sometimes he'd get a similar number.. apparently he'd heard of magnetic pole shifts (even back than) and his theory was that,

The Earth Flipped, whenever such might occur. .. .. tidal waves, buried pre-SUVs yada yada. Sounded then, a lot like ID. Don't think it ever hit any classrooms, though. 'Course now: we gots our very own US Messiah aDoin Xian Gawd's Work.. so he might stand a better chance of publication in '04

{Of course too, that there's anything! including *us*, IS The Mystery..
Anthropomorphize away - it'll still be Gyroscope Tinkering\ufffd for fun, profit and sanctimonious Righteousness cha cha cha}
     In other words (Ben is such a fucking wuss)... - (CRConrad) - (70)
         Learn some history, asshole - (ben_tilly) - (69)
             Ben is right - (deSitter)
             Learn to read, Fuck-face. - (CRConrad) - (27)
                 Learn to read yourself - (ben_tilly) - (26)
                     You learn first. - (CRConrad) - (25)
                         Of course I have further advice to give - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             You'd need to assume? - (CRConrad)
                         Thank you... I knew you weren't really completely a lamer - (danreck) - (22)
                             On that side bet - (ben_tilly) - (19)
                                 Re: On that side bet - (danreck) - (18)
                                     Dumbass. - (admin) - (11)
                                         Ouch... - (danreck)
                                         Oh, and by the way... - (danreck) - (9)
                                             Re: Oh, and by the way... - (deSitter)
                                             Re: Oh, and by the way... - (admin) - (7)
                                                 Old English UNIX - (deSitter) - (6)
                                                     If yer gonna Old English, do it right, dufus - (jb4) - (5)
                                                         That's not Old English, fuckwit. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                                             Dorkus Maximus... - (danreck)
                                                             Ignorant? -NT - (folkert) - (1)
                                                                 I once ahad a coworker - (Arkadiy)
                                                             And damn proud of it too, butthole! -NT - (jb4)
                                     Re: On that side bet - (deSitter)
                                     Who chooses the book? - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                         Re: Who chooses the book? - (danreck) - (3)
                                             And *that* is a sucker bet - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                 An apology from the FLAME FORUM? - (hnick)
                                                 Fair enough... - (danreck)
                             [Edit: Typo] Been going to say this for a while: - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                 ICLRPD (new thread) - (Silverlock)
             bah, what crap, creationism is correct - (boxley) - (39)
                 Yes indeed - (orion) - (12)
                     You might want to read this. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                         FUD plain and simple -NT - (orion) - (8)
                             This post left blank because there's nothing one can say. -NT - (CRConrad) - (6)
                                 Imagine that - (orion) - (5)
                                     By your fuckwittery, yes. -NT - (pwhysall) - (4)
                                         Just can't get over it can you - (orion) - (3)
                                             And also unlike Peter, you're just plain fucking STUPID. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                 I don't have the time to waste combating fud. - (orion) - (1)
                                                     That was an excerpt. Read the linked article for the proofs. -NT - (Another Scott)
                             Facts, Understanding and Demonstration? Yup, it is. :-\ufffd -NT - (Another Scott)
                     the accidental ape is not nescessarily in the design - (boxley) - (1)
                         Indeed - (orion)
                 What a carefully thought out and informed position... -NT - (ben_tilly) - (25)
                     yup - (boxley) - (24)
                         Nice little gap in that reasoning - (ben_tilly) - (23)
                             Eyes? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 No mystery there. - (admin) - (3)
                                     An honest question - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                                         Yes - (ben_tilly)
                                     Thanks. - (mmoffitt)
                             ok lets start with a carbon based life form - (boxley) - (17)
                                 Chaos theory as misunderstood, you mean? - (ben_tilly) - (16)
                                     More non-sequiteurs - (jake123) - (2)
                                         Body piercings don't have this kind of torque, though. -NT - (admin)
                                         ICLRPD! (new thread) - (jb4)
                                     large phlem dripping from a donkeys ass - (boxley) - (12)
                                         I'll amend that statement - (ben_tilly) - (11)
                                             NON SEQUITUR - (admin) - (1)
                                                 Sorry, boxley's spelin is werng off - (ben_tilly)
                                             Of course, you have met me, do I act at all reasonable? - (boxley) - (8)
                                                 But, I see no mention of extinctions. - (a6l6e6x)
                                                 I've met you and you act like you don't give a shit - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                     good link pole shifts can and do explain a lot -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                                                         Hey - You can't do THAT! - (broomberg) - (3)
                                                             naw busy trying to find the link - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                 Dream on - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                                                     a squint in yer eye - (boxley)
                                                         Poleax shifts.. - (Ashton)

Why not just name him Hitler B. Evil?
96 ms