I would say that everyone has their own reasons for celebrating Christmas. For Christians, like me, it IS about Jesus and his birth. Maybe he was not really born in the winter time, but since it isn't completely known to the exact date, that is what was adopted for whatever reason.

But celebrating Christmas, for Christians, anyway, isn't about gifts, trees or mistletoe. What it really is about for them is the gift of God's Son to save them. The other things, trees, cards, decorations, etc, are part of the world's view of celebrating Christmas, and can be integrated into the Christian view of it as long as the focus stays on the birth of Christ.

However, in regards to the sign that started this thread, I see it more that the poster depicts Jesus with the CD halo and price tag, as a way to demonstrate to the Christians that they have FORGOTTEN about Jesus being the "reason for the season" for Christians. And possibly a way to demonstrate to the world the Christian view of Christmas. The CD halo and price tag are showing the world's attempts to obscure the "true" meaning of Christmas (as held by those aforementioned Christians).

But just to be fair also, I know of Christians that did NOT celebrate Christmas on December 25th, or at all in any commercial sense. I knew one lady who was so adamant that there was no "day" to celebrate Christ's birth, that if you sent her a Christmas card, it had better say something about "Happy Holidays" (Winter Solstice, New Years Eve), or "Season's Greetings" (Winter wishes). If it said Christmas anywhere, she was hotly insulted.

Ironically, before even READING this thread today, I had awakened thinking about all the Christmas cards I meticulously picked out and stacked up in a nice ordered pile to write soon, and that woman came to mind, as I wondered where she is today and how she is... she's since moved out of my life for other reasons.

Funny how life imitates thought or memory.

Nightowl >8#