IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I didn't miss that.
1) Whether or not Peter's comment to RM was a suggestion.. or a threat. RM was not going-with-the-program.

It was a request, as clarified. I'd stated my opinion, Rick had stated his. They don't meet in the middle, and no amount of argumentation will ever change that.

Karsten's error in judgment re banning seems.. to have occurred following too little sleep [??] and during the onset of breathless personal excoriations. I've met Karsten. Karsten is Not an irrational vengeance-seeking person. Normally. Period. That is my circumstantial evidence.

Unfortunately one of the consequences of being an admin of anything is that one's hissy fits have magnified consequences.

The dudgeon wasn't about some imaginary damage already done -- but much more about Not Asking Permission.. of The List. Mother, May I?

How about, "guys, mind if I do this thing?"?

Nice work, mob. And screw the very much work he has contributed over the years, not just in the n-hours refining TWiki. Not to mention the lore which would make him a National Treasure in any small country. And, even where I don't care to employ the subject matter - I can damn well discern an excellent tech writer. That he is.

I can't say I'm exactly pleased with this outcome, myself.

AND THIS AIN'T TRIVIAL: at least insofar as links to IWE appear to be morphing into Google; are a springboard to (among other things) Andrew's Opus Maximus - of All the skinny on M$, presented in readable form .. by Anyone with half a brain. And ""we"" [but not *I*] just fired a Writer, in this diminishing pool.

No, he fired himself. He took a decision. I respect him for doing that, even though I think it's the wrong decision.

If *YOU* Scott, had gotten pissed some particularly evil-Friday<

(say, with a weekend ahead of you fixing a major system fuck-up you'd warned about but they went ahead and..)

.. and banned somebody who'd been carping:

bet $$, your uncharacteristic rash act would be pointed out with damn little hyperbole, much understanding and no ad-hominem - and you'd have a chance to fix it. (And no doubt- would).

I'd have ripped him a new arsehole to the best of my abilities. I'd expect others to do the same.

I'll miss his intelligence, his competence and.. his aberrations - all in all, a lot kinder compendium, I deem - than the viciousness of his Punishment for Trying Something\ufffd. I'm disappointed that this little experiment in 'democracy' managed to miss the point about tolerance of individual peculiarities: completely.

There has been spectacular overreaction from all sides. The final outcome is very unfortunate. It didn't need to happen.

No winners this time.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Honestly said.
I don't believe any variant of the blame game is remotely applicable, and I'm glad that you seem similarly inclined. And while I may well be a Party-of-One, I also don't believe that "the rulez" about list management can count for a bucket ot warm spit, re human events that took years to form. (Note how quickly National Honor can come dangerously close to the toilet rapidly, after a lot of years building it.)

Thanks for a sane set of observations. I hope that some apologies shall happen. More, I hope they prove acceptable - trust can be reearned, and that's always an odd situation, one which can only help both 'sides' become less judgmental. Wiser? An opportunity, almost (!)

Regards,

Ashton
New Re: Honestly said.
While I am regretful that events turned out the way they did, I cannot honestly say that my position has altered. Where a group asset is involved, it's just old fashioned manners to ask folks before messing with it.

I'm minded of a barn up on the hill. It's ours; we built it with our own toil and sweat. We're rightfully proud of it, and awfully attached to it. We use it for all sorts of things. Some people keep chickens in it, others hold meetings in it, yet others have a corner where they quietly work away on their own stuff, occasionally hollering the group to give a progress report.

Someone wants to use the barn for something it's never been used for before. It's not tremendously inconvenient, but on principle alone you'd figure that some of the group would take exception, even though you'd expect that the majority would be OK with it.

Wouldn't YOU ask, even if only to avert a confrontation?

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Some people like Surprises.
In hindsight - sure, better.. But if a thing can be undone in a trice anyway - Who Is Harmed? How intractable is too intractable.. re any tradition or policy?

The answer is undoubtedly

New Some take a long time learning that
Wouldn't YOU ask, even if only to avert a confrontation?

Some people take a long time learning that. I think you found that out during the recent exchange: one poster in particular who has no concept of the Other; only the Principle of the thing. When that position is extreme (and it only gets more so by being prodded ;), such people appear to prefer forgiveness over permission. That's not what's really happening in their heads: they really did not perceive the social dimension. A lucky few learn that people matter more than ideas.

If any of you are NT's, this applies to you. Knowing the Truth isn't everything.
I was one of the original authors of VB, and *I* wouldn't use VB for a text
processing program. :-)
Michael Geary, on comp.lang.python
     Signoff - (kmself) - (65)
         Come back soon. You're an important part of the crew. -NT - (Another Scott)
         WTF is going on? - (deSitter) - (15)
             Trust me Ross.... - (folkert)
             Kangaroo Court in session - (Ashton) - (13)
                 His admin right was forfeit... - (bepatient)
                 What Bill said. - (admin) - (7)
                     Re: What Bill said. - (deSitter)
                     I didn't miss that. - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Re: I didn't miss that. - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             Honestly said. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                 Re: Honestly said. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                     Some people like Surprises. - (Ashton)
                                     Some take a long time learning that - (FuManChu)
                 Ashton Ashton Ashton... - (static) - (3)
                     I thought we were an autonomous collective? -NT - (ChrisR) - (2)
                         Altogether now.... - (pwhysall) - (1)
                             Re: Altogether now.... - (deSitter)
         'mon back - (broomberg)
         I need you to keep me honest -NT - (deSitter)
         take a breather - (cforde)
         Re: Signoff - (rickmoen) - (30)
             This is all very fscked up - (deSitter) - (20)
                 This is sort of reason why OLMRs were good. - (static)
                 Personal response to Ross - (jb4) - (1)
                     Re: Personal response to Ross - (Nightowl)
                 Werd. -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     'Nother werd -NT - (drewk)
                 The way I see it - (orion) - (14)
                     ummm... well... I... err... hmm... amaz... - (folkert) - (13)
                         Re: ummm... well... I... err... hmm... amaz... - (Nightowl)
                         Dude... - (jb4) - (6)
                             I owe it all to my college class - (orion) - (5)
                                 bloody Good Show, Norman! - (Ashton)
                                 Well done Norm - (Silverlock)
                                 Starting from scratch? - (drewk) - (2)
                                     I have an Associates Degree in Data Processing - (orion) - (1)
                                         Thanks, may try to work it into my schedule -NT - (drewk)
                         Irony alert - (rickmoen) - (4)
                             Irony... - (folkert) - (3)
                                 Irony, indeed. - (rickmoen) - (2)
                                     Nope... I am not making an attempt. - (folkert) - (1)
                                         Re: Nope... I am not making an attempt. - (rickmoen)
             Clarification and Apology - (bepatient) - (8)
                 Small nit. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     Yes, we DO do grumpy well, don't we...;-) -NT - (jb4) - (5)
                         Imagine Thanksgiving with this group ... worse than family -NT - (drewk) - (4)
                             Prolly *STILL* better than *MY* family at Thanksgiving. - (folkert) - (1)
                                 thats famdamily you heathen :-) - (boxley)
                             Hey, with enough beer, it might actually work! - (jb4) - (1)
                                 I can supply enough of that :-) - (bepatient)
                     Ah...yes. Missed that...and apologize again. - (bepatient)
         Guess you won't see this. - (Meerkat)
         Don't go. Really. -NT - (imric)
         Bummer - (tuberculosis)
         You guys are all . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
             Amen -NT - (bepatient)
         I have 2 things to say. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             ObAOLMeToo. -NT - (inthane-chan)
         Team Conflicts (new thread) - (orion)
         Kristos crucios - (jake123) - (2)
             All I can say is... - (ChrisR)
             Not way too seriously . . - (Andrew Grygus)
         Re: Signoff - (admin) - (2)
             Speaking of leadership - (rickmoen) - (1)
                 all one can say is "wow" -NT - (bepatient)

EGM: Who's that chick Mario is rescuing up there?
Brian: It's Princess Peach.
Kirk: It's a hooker.
Niko: She looks cut in half.
Tim: Oh wow... she's one of those pole dancers.
100 ms