IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New IFS?
Would this be the term for a processors on the mainframe that are supposed to be strictly used for non-MF processing which in turn means they can run Linux or AIX but not MVS/OS-390? Licensing issue on my box. Or is this more of a generic term, since I saw you mention 14 free processors, and MFs that large are very rare. And with that many processors free, rarer.

In later posts you mention more of a distributed setup, but that is for later. So, hopefully most of my post will apply to that and be of some assistance.

Have you (or your Perl programmer) read "Data Munging in Perl"?
[link|http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1930110006/qid=1067799999/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/104-5113305-5796718?v=glance&n=507846|http://www.amazon.co...v=glance&n=507846]
If not, go get it. It validated most of what I thought I knew, giving an ego boost, and taught me a bunch that I didn't, paying for itselt with the 1st 3 lines of code I used from it.
New Re: IFS?
IFS is the integrated file system on IBM's midrange platforms. It can integrate with Unix/Linux, Netware, and Windows among other things. One can also create user defined file systems, if needed. These servers also have a POSIX environment and an AIX runtime. In addition, one can set up logical partitions (LPARs) to run multiple OSes concurrently (e.g. Linux, Windows, and soon Unix).

This particular app currently has available 14 processors (non-distributed app). However, a portion of those processors will be shifting to another LPAR shortly to handle some other processing. Using the multi-instance approach with smaller files (which is how the data arrives anyway) seems to work well with the current number of processors (hardly taxing the machine at all). I'll have to measure the before/after processor shift performance and tweak as needed.

I have not yet read Data Munging in Perl, but will grab a copy.

Thanks,
Slugbug
     multithreaded Perl? - (slugbug) - (36)
         What the?? - (deSitter) - (14)
             multi-instance... - (slugbug) - (8)
                 If this is a Unixy system, definitely go with fork() - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                     Yes... - (slugbug)
                 Re: multi-instance... - (deSitter) - (5)
                     Er... - (admin) - (1)
                         DAMMIT! I WANT TOYS! -NT - (deSitter)
                     toys, toys, toys... - (slugbug) - (2)
                         Re: toys, toys, toys... - (deSitter)
                         Re: toys, toys, toys... (new thread) - (admin)
             Re: What the?? - (jb4) - (4)
                 That's 4GB of angle brackets alone! -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Don't laugh... - (admin)
                     Yes, the developers of LISP would be proud... -NT - (jb4)
                 nope.... - (slugbug)
         Possible, but I wouldn't - (ben_tilly) - (15)
             Ben, thank you.... - (slugbug) - (14)
                 No problem - (ben_tilly) - (13)
                     Re: No problem - (deSitter) - (2)
                         The more you can do, the more they ask you to do - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                             Absolutely. - (admin)
                     this is an... - (slugbug)
                     So, Perl assumes POSIX compliance in the OS, eh? - (jb4) - (6)
                         No - (ben_tilly) - (5)
                             Interesting, but looks like a bit of a kluge - (jb4) - (4)
                                 It is a kludge - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                                     Re: It is a kludge - (deSitter) - (2)
                                         One of those things was Perl ;-) -NT - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Don't I know! - (deSitter)
                     Query: I've played a (small) amount with the multithreading - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                         That scheduler optimization is pretty recent IIRC -NT - (ben_tilly)
         More info please - (broomberg) - (4)
             Geez. 1 day late and nothin! -NT - (broomberg)
             1 day late and.... - (slugbug) - (2)
                 IFS? - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Re: IFS? - (slugbug)

We're... the Three Amigos!
105 ms