IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Subtle, important differences..
IMhO the fact that I can 'steal' a working instrument (incidental that it is also so well made as to qualify as 'art' too) Too-cheaply -- indicates something important about the present society and its near-future, especially as regards "technical education" and 'our' expectations for the future of that.

Such an instrument could not be produced today except at exorbitant cost - the CRT fabs themselves have been scrapped.
(It would be like Shrub's decision to recreate Plutonium fabs - but only sorta like that: we already have 1000 tons and access to Russia's. Another thread on Sanity, that one.)

The digital replacements, while generating all sorts of automatic data for repetitive waveforms - still cannot 'see' certain random events, nor ever - in real-time. That's what I mean by Too- (== 'artificially') cheap. This is a loss in *capability*, in the physics sense. And no - there are no foreign equivalents either, though there are some also-ran analogue scopes maybe still in production. You'd have to be an EE to fully appreciate what a "scope" means as ... "your eyes".

The price of digital toys OTOH simply reflects the easy mass production of SiO2 derivatives and the cheapness, after early profits amortize development costs. No personal Artisan skill is required in assembly (which is fortunate, one might suppose - as we lose those).

(But the loss of widespread 'film' cameras will be a loss of an Art; that of communicating something about an instant in time, using many human sensibilities. Digital will always be capable of 'documenting an object's appearance' for one's files. Different.)

Ashton
New Re: Subtle, important differences..
But the loss of widespread 'film' cameras will be a loss of an Art; that of communicating something about an instant in time, using many human sensibilities.
I don't think that has anything to do with digital vs. film. Communication with a photograph is about the photographer, not the tools.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Not really
All of Ansel Adams' work happened in the darkroom, and was made with his hands - I don't mean dragging the film and paper through the chemicals - I mean an elaborate shadowing with the hands of the print as it is being exposed in the enlarger. It can take many seconds to expose a print - during this time a skilled photographer will often use his hands, or some other object, to lessen the exposure on particular parts of the print. It may take hundreds of attempts to get it just right - so the final print is a unique work of art and not a copy of the negative.

A good example is the famous photo of birch trees - another is the Moon over - is it Santa Fe? The copyright Nazis removed the good Ansel Adams net exhibits.
-drl
New Again, that's the photographer, not the tools.
It's possible to do such things (more easily after the fact, of course) with digital as well.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
     Pentax Optio 550 - (admin) - (29)
         Does AF work in low light? - (Arkadiy) - (4)
             Seems to work fine. - (admin) - (3)
                 Re: Seems to work fine. - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Not in this case. - (admin)
                     In my case, I think, it's a different issue - (Arkadiy)
         Bought my wife a Sony 5 Meg. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
             I take much better pictures with this - (admin)
             Prima donna :-P - (drewk) - (21)
                 Ha! - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                     Famous last words. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Re: never be able to fly. - (mmoffitt)
                     Canon AL-1 - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Damn straight. - (admin) - (2)
                             There need be no actual argument about 'better'. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Wasted shots aren't all about bracketing. - (admin)
                         Re: Canon AL-1 - (deSitter) - (7)
                             Today's $10k digital rig will be $400 on eBay in 10 years - (drewk) - (5)
                                 Right. - (admin)
                                 Subtle, important differences.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Re: Subtle, important differences.. - (admin) - (2)
                                         Not really - (deSitter) - (1)
                                             Again, that's the photographer, not the tools. - (admin)
                             Kodak DCS Pro 14n - (static)
                         The world is analog. - (Arkadiy)
                     Just figured out what I was trying to put into words - (drewk) - (4)
                         But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Also, there's Kodak. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Re: But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Vorsetzer = lit. "sEtter-in-front", actually... - (CRConrad)