IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying.
Drook writes:
No cd player/stereo/speaker combination will ever sound as good as a concert pianist at a concert grand heard live.
But a picture taken with an analog or a digital camera is not what it pictures, any more than either an analog or a digital recording is a concert pianist live at a concert grand piano.

But I can't play the piano, so there's no reason for me to ever have one. But a stereo I can play. Same with cameras.
True, as far as it goes, but not the comparison these guys are talking about.

You're comparing "digital recording vs concert pianist"; they're comparing "digital vs analog recording (picture)".

I can play both old needle-scratch analog turntables and "those dang newfangled dijjytol contraptions" that use the shiny little coasters... But I know which one I prefer -- and it ain't the needle-scratchers.

That's the relevant comparison here.

And it's going to come out -- is already coming out -- the same way for cameras as it pretty definitely has for audio recordings.

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
New Also, there's Kodak.
"We are acting with the knowledge that demand for traditional products is declining, especially in developed markets," [link|http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2003/09/25/kodak250903|Kodak CEO Daniel Carp said].

"Given this reality, we are moving fast \ufffd as digital markets demand \ufffd to transform our business portfolio, with an emphasis on digital commercial markets," he said.
Also, there's HDTV which is digital. Anyone think that a regression?

Hey, the telegraph, which started it all, is digital! Well OK, at least in the electrical domain. The earlier signaling lights and semaphores are digital too.

Besides, the world only looks analog. :)
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New Re: But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying.
Yeah well.. my ears are no longer capable of hearing the subtle differences of tubes VS early transistor designs: designs based on lots of wrong presumptions about both the acuity of human ears and.. about what might be required for "highest" fidelity reproduction of sound pressure waves.

Then too, most of today's popular music; certainly by-$$ marketing the vastly most: incorporates instruments and voices - intentionally altered, now most often digitally, though I see that early Fuzz-tone tube boxes command a premium price -- indicating a yet more subtle mix of 'production' and post-production massaging. Ergo, where the $$ is: no longer has very much to do with "high fidelity reproduction of actual musical instruments".

So the only valid comparisons of 'reproduction' must come from traditional instruments, orchestras, voices - as of yore. But the 'analog' source won't go away, though much may still be lost through carelessness and insouciance.

The slickest re piano must be the Vorsetzer! (sitter-in-front?) - a robot piano player with paper tapes encoded by several dead masters. In that technique, you can 'hear' Paderewski PLAY on a modern piano, just As sorta.. as anyway else.

Meanwhile there exists that library of Edisons, 78s, LPs of other Masters. And more and more statistical programs shall continue to reduce the clicks, pops and repetitive noises -- who can gainsay such an aim? Not moi.

Still and all: for as long as Russians have tube mfg. plants, there will be Marantz amps and new clones of such - playing through the closest we can still come to "KLH-Nines, Wharfedales" etc. - in preference to (the other multi-thousand-$ "Class A" type transistor yuppie-amps for big spenders), cause..

That's just the Way It Is. And what it is About is,

Goose bumps ...

(Now try and put Those in a spreadsheet, Smartass ;-)

Ashton

Senator Transistor-amp, I've met President Tube-amp..
Senator, you're no JFK !!
New Vorsetzer = lit. "sEtter-in-front", actually...
...but can also be taken to mean something that is "set in front (of something)", which would be the sense it's used in here. Nouns ending in -er work like that in German.

Oh, and what "Vorsetzer" actually means in German, IIRC, is "tray" -- the flat thing you carry around coffee and cups and stuff (or whatever) on, in order to serve it to (=set it in front of! :-) someone.

HTH!

[link|mailto:MyUserId@MyISP.CountryCode|Christian R. Conrad]
(I live in Finland, and my e-mail in-box is at the Saunalahti company.)
Resident [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=119792|zIWETHEY pilkunnussija]
     Pentax Optio 550 - (admin) - (29)
         Does AF work in low light? - (Arkadiy) - (4)
             Seems to work fine. - (admin) - (3)
                 Re: Seems to work fine. - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Not in this case. - (admin)
                     In my case, I think, it's a different issue - (Arkadiy)
         Bought my wife a Sony 5 Meg. - (mmoffitt) - (23)
             I take much better pictures with this - (admin)
             Prima donna :-P - (drewk) - (21)
                 Ha! - (mmoffitt) - (20)
                     Famous last words. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                         Re: never be able to fly. - (mmoffitt)
                     Canon AL-1 - (Ashton) - (12)
                         Damn straight. - (admin) - (2)
                             There need be no actual argument about 'better'. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Wasted shots aren't all about bracketing. - (admin)
                         Re: Canon AL-1 - (deSitter) - (7)
                             Today's $10k digital rig will be $400 on eBay in 10 years - (drewk) - (5)
                                 Right. - (admin)
                                 Subtle, important differences.. - (Ashton) - (3)
                                     Re: Subtle, important differences.. - (admin) - (2)
                                         Not really - (deSitter) - (1)
                                             Again, that's the photographer, not the tools. - (admin)
                             Kodak DCS Pro 14n - (static)
                         The world is analog. - (Arkadiy)
                     Just figured out what I was trying to put into words - (drewk) - (4)
                         But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                             Also, there's Kodak. - (a6l6e6x)
                             Re: But that's not what the anal-ogists here are saying. - (Ashton) - (1)
                                 Vorsetzer = lit. "sEtter-in-front", actually... - (CRConrad)

I choose vodka and Chaka Khan.
353 ms