IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Is this a '5th Column' found within US Army ?
[link|http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/09/20/chaplain.arrest/index.html|http://www.cnn.com/2...arrest/index.html]

US Army Muslim Chaplain arrested with compromising docs in his possesion.

DSM
(I don't ever recall having problems with Buddist US army chaplains during Vietnam :-)
New If so, not the first one.
Recall [link|http://www.us-israel.org/jsource/US-Israel/pollard.html|Jonathan Pollard]. And see [link|http://www.aci.net/kalliste/pollard_em.htm|The Toronto Sun, Jan. 14, 1999].

A firing squad for Pollard works for me.
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New and Hansen? Or do mormons get a free pass?
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Hansen was FBI, not military.
But firing squad for him works in my book.
Alex

"Don't let it end like this. Tell them I said something." -- last words of Pancho Villa (1877-1923)
New Hard to say from what I have seen
No hard information relating to what he might be guilty of has been released yet, so there is really no way to say.

So far everything I have seen has just said he was caught with documents relating to Gitmo on him. If he was planning to go public with a list of who exactly was detained there and information about human rights abuse going on there, I would applaud his actions.

If he was selling or giving this information to a foreign power, then it's firing squad time.

Jay
New Amen to that sentiment.
Alex

New Big question
will his trial be open, or closed?

... or in other words, is he going to be disappeared?
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New The process needs to be open.
Alex

New Doesn't mean it will be
In fact, I'd hazard a guess that it will be closed, judging from past performance.
--\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\n* Kingston Ontario Canada               [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New Military Court Martial
Army Capt. James Yee was taken into custody by U.S. military authorities September 10 at the naval air station in Jacksonville, Florida, while in possession of classified documents "that a chaplain shouldn't have," an official told CNN, speaking on the condition of anonymity.
He's military in the military system. Surprising that it received ANY coverage. Trial? Open? No way.
New Fertile ground for speculation
in particular, why did someone in the military leak it?

The answer to the question of why they wanted to remain anonymous is, of course, pretty easy to surmise with a very reasonable expectation of accuracy. However, as to why... it seems that there may be parts of the military hierarchy that are beginning to have trouble squaring what's happening at gitmo with their avowed duty to defend the US constitution.

IOW, the question is... was Cpt. Yee going to sell the information, or leak it? For some people (both within the military and in their civilian overmasters), both would be extreme crimes against their self-interest... but perhaps only one is actually a crime against the United States.
New Every repressive regime requires a Bonhoeffer to appear
[link|http://www.pbs.org/opb/bonhoeffer/|Bonhoeffer].

Whether or not this man had those sentiments, I doubt that we'll find out for some time - if ever. (They may shoot the sucker.) As this Regime becomes ever more wobbly and frantically seeks ever more deceptive means of locking-in a Second-term by apparent "election" this time (he who owns the machines and Reads Them) -- I don't think I could imagine the next likely orchestrated Fear-events as certainly shall 'happen'.

Who's left to sorta-trust? - when : Powell has now decisively lost that original patina of Respectability. All the rest are PNAC.

To me it seems a lot like watching a shoe ..dropping.. nanosecond by nanosecond, as everyone waits for (to see if there Will be?) that "election". All the rest is just daily choreography to keep the adrenaline at a sufficient level as to preclude any long periods of thoughtfulness about, what already We Have Become. It's essential that the current inane level of sloganeering be actively encouraged, lest analysis and debate actually begin to occur, beyond the usual and obscure pockets as no media would cover.

(At least.. we haven't enough troops left (or trainable quickly enough) to march-for-effect into Iran.)

Ashton
New Trial? What makes you think we still do that?
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New dreyfus case?
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Another Airman charged as spy for Syria
[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/24/national/24DETA.html?ex=1064980800&|NY Times]
An Air Force translator at the United States prison camp for captured militants and suspected terrorists at Guant\ufffdnamo Bay, Cuba, has been charged with espionage and passing military secrets to Syria, according to Pentagon officials and military court papers.

He was actually arrested back on July 23, but details of exactly what he has been charged with are still unclear. What little was said about the information he passed indicate it was pretty trivial. The only thing the military is being clear about is that the information was going to Syria. The conspiracy theory here is to obvious to mention.
In an unusual move, the Air Force on Sept. 15 tried to close the proceedings of the airman's Article 32 hearing, the equivalent of a grand-jury proceeding. His lawyers objected, and the next day, the United States Air Force Court of Criminal Appeals upheld the protest and ordered the government to open the proceedings to the public, except when necessary to protect classified information. The hearing continued in both open and closed sessions through Sept. 18.

Gee, I didn't know Ashcroft had a hand in military trials.

Jay
New Third Gitmo related arrest
[link|http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/WorldNewsTonight/logan_arrest030930.html|ABC News]
A civilian translator who worked at the Guantanamo Bay prison camp has been arrested, suspected of taking classified information from the camp where hundreds of suspects in the war on terror are being held.

Now I'm wondering just what is going on here. Was it a group of wistleblowers and the whole group got nailed? Is security really so bad that people are just walking off with secret documents? Has Syria somehow organized a huge spy operation just to get some information about Gitmo?

Jay
New This is America.
Everybody (the Whole World) is after us. Everybody envies us. They hate us for our freedom. You didn't know that? Be afraid, be very afraid. Be so afraid that you don't ask questions. "Questions are a burden to others." Why are you asking questions? You some kind of Al Qaeda sympathizer? I've got to run now, got to call the Department of Homeland Security and report you before you or one of your buddies flies a Cessna 150 into a nuclear plant...
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

New Hey...wait...
...let that guy bounce a Cessna off that nuke...weed out the gene pool...cause about the only thing he would leave behind would be a stain.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New You might want to run that by...
the NRC...

Emphasis Mine.
Sept. 4 \ufffd AOPA this week told the Nuclear Regulatory Commission that fears about general aviation raised by two groups opposed to California's Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant are unwarranted.

The San Luis Obispo Mothers For Peace and the Union of Concerned Scientists petitioned the NRC for better protection from potential terrorist attacks, including suicide aircraft assaults, at Diablo Canyon. The petition specifically mentioned general aviation.

[link|http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/newsitems/2003/03-3-123x.html|http://www.aopa.org/...03/03-3-123x.html]

bcnu,
Mikem

New Huh?
The San Luis Obispo Mothers For Peace and the Union of Concerned Scientists are the concerned parties...not the NRC.

The AOPA study was cited...and trust me...living within 50 miles of 2 separate nuke plants...I paid attention...that a GA aircraft will NOT pose a safety risk to a nuke.

So Moms for Peace are worried...but the NRC, AOPA and I are not.

But to Brian's point...the Cessna is a nice plane...shame to see it wasted.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

New You'd be amazed...
at how a couple of screaming me-me's can affect TFR's (which these days are not so damned temporary). There were and are all kinds of "National Security" TFR's around the country. The fact that AOPA has to constantly inform people that GA is not a threat is ridiculous. I said you should tell the NRC because few people have your perspective when it comes to small GA aircraft (that is, few non-pilot/non-a & p's/etc. understand that GA was never and will never be the problem).

AOPA is worried. I'm the AOPA's ASN Volunteer for C62 and let me tell you, they and all the GA pilots I know are worried that folks like the two mentioned in the article are getting entirely too much say in how our airspace is handled - (again, the basis of my urging you to run your view by the NRC).

There are two TFR's in Indiana that are years old, for instance. How "temporary" is that? And for what? If I fly my 172 into these areas (while I've still got one) guess what happens? I get intercepted by a pair of F-16's. How's that for getting huge bang for your tax-payer dollar? Then, because I am suspected of terrorism, I can get locked up indefinitely. Why? Because I flew my dangerous attack Cessna too close to a nuke plant. It is that ridiculous. Nice to hear some one who doesn't fly concur ;-)

FDC 1/0661 ZID IN.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS NEWPORT, IN. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO TITLE 14 CFR SECTION 91.137A(1) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT DUE TO NATIONAL SECURITY ARE NOT AUTHORIZED WITHIN A 5 NAUTICAL MILES RADIUS OF 395100N/0872518W OR THE TERRE HAUTE /TTH/ VORTAC 335 DEGREE RADIAL AT 23 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 5000 FEET AGL TO PROVIDE FOR A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR DOD OPERATIONS. TERRE HAUTE AFSS /HUF/ 812-877-7530 IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. [See graphic.]
[Plain-language guidance: Temporary Flight Restrictions are in place prohibiting flights for a 5 NM radius at and below 5000 ft AGL, centered on a point 23 NM from the Terre Haute VORTAC off from the 335-degree radial (Terre Haute, IN).]

2/2183 - IN.. FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS CRANE, IN. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FUTHER NOTICE. PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 91.137A(2) TEMPORARY FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS ARE IN EFFECT WITHIN A 5 NAUTICAL MILE RADIUS OF 385021.4N/864831.1W AND THE HOOSIER /OOM/ VORTAC 209 DEGREE RADIAL AT 20.4 NAUTICAL MILES AT AND BELOW 5000 FT AGL TO PROVIDE A SAFE ENVIRONMENT FOR NATIONAL SECURITY. MR DAVID BROWN, DEPARTMENT OF NAVY, TELEPHONE 812-854-3581, IS IN CHARGE OF ON SCENE EMERGENCY RESPONSE ACTIVITIES. TERRE HAUTE /HUF/ AFSS, TELEPHONE 812-877-7530, IS THE FAA COORDINATION FACILITY. WIE UNTIL UFN [See graphic.]
[Plain-language guidance: Temporary Flight Restrictions are in place prohibiting flights for a 5 NM radius at and below 5000 ft AGL, centered on a point 20.4 NM from the Hoosier VORTAC off from the 209-degree radial (Crane, IN).]

bcnu,
Mikem

New Re: You'd be amazed...
1655 ...SPECIAL NOTICE... FLIGHT RESTRICTIONS. EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE, PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, PILOTS CONDUCTING FLIGHT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE TERRITORIAL AIRSPACE OF THE U.S. ARE ADVISED TO AVOID THE AIRSPACE ABOVE OR IN PROXIMITY TO ALL NUCLEAR POWER PLANTS. PILOTS SHOULD NOT CIRCLE OR LOITER IN THE VICINITY OF SUCH FACILITIES. PILOTS WHO DO SO CAN EXPECT TO BE INTERVIEWED BY LAW ENFORCEMENT PERSONNEL AT THEIR DESTINATION AIRPORT AND THE PILOT''S NAME MAY BE ADDED TO THE TRANSPORTATION SECURITY ADMINISTRATION (TSA) INCIDENT REPORTING SYSTEM. WIE UNTIL UFN [See graphic. (Graphic courtesy of www.nrc.gov; it is not all inclusive.)]

Doesn't sound like worry. Sounds like prudence.

New ?
So I should just "watch what I say, watch what I do" even in the people's air, right?
bcnu,
Mikem

New Not quite...
...its more like...avoid doing this (and circling a nuclear facility would be an obvious thing to avoid) and everything is cool...if you do NOT avoid doing this...please expect us to have a few questions for you afterwards.

Since when is it the "people's air"? Is that something that you expect to be different than say..."territorial waters"?

New It is the people's air
just like you can take your boat anywhere you want in territorial waters.

It's called mobility rights, and they are a very important part of the package of basic civil rights in a free society.
New But would I not...
...expect to be looked at somewhat suspiciously if I happen to park said boat in front of a nuclear sub facility...or should I be allowed to park it in the center of a shipping channel?

You are certainly allowed to use the airspace...however you are required to be licensed and you must meet certain requirements to operate inside said "air".

So while you consider it a "right"...it is pretty much handled as a priviledge (much like drivers licensing) and can have (and does) a certain measure of control over it dictated by the state.

New Not Xactly.
Owner built aircraft do not require the pilot to hold a license to fly in the nation's airspace. We're talking about "uncontrolled airspace" here, not some Class C or monster Class B airspace.

It is "ours" in much the same way as the airwaves used to be "ours".
bcnu,
Mikem

New Not a Cessna; an ultralight instead
A Cessna, though not a taildragger, is still a good airplane. I'm not convinced the removal of the garbage from the gene pool would be worth the loss of the plane.

Brian Bronson
Who knows that Cessna used to make some darn nice taildraggers; the 195 being among the prettiest around
New Amen. And, btw, ...
birds don't land on their asses, why should we? :-D
bcnu,
Mikem

New Birds don't have nosewheels, either, so...
I guess we'll have to develop the Segway-geared airplane!

Brian Bronson
PS Got 1.4 hrs dual this morning: IFR navigation (I follow roads and rivers, that is!), short, and soft field takeoffs and landings. Starting cross country work tomorrow.
New Man, I almost envy you.
I can't remember where you are in your training. Have you done any solo X-C yet? If not, your first one will be completely awesome.
bcnu,
Mikem

New No cross countries yet
Just finishing up the post-solo reviews and intros (short and soft fields, navigation, hood work). Lost a few weeks due to a week-long annual...plus bad weather...plus my instructor's time suddenly became scarce as he picked up several students from another instructor who quit to fly for a regional airline.

I'm hoping I can work my home town (Manitowoc, WI) in to one of my cross country flights. It'd be cool to drop in on the folks. I don't know if that will fit in one of the legs, though. I'm flying out of Waukesha, WI, and I don't know if Manitowoc is far enough away for a leg.

Brian Bronson
New If it isn't 50 nm, it isn't.
I was lucky, my instructor let me pick my 2nd, 3rd and 4th solo X-C's (don't ask why I had 4). Anyway, the long one (I just remembered, they changed the PTS after I got my license), used to require a 150 nm trip, landing at 3 different airports and at least one leg >= 50 nm. So, if your favorite field isn't 50 nm away, save it for the "long X-C" and make that one of the fields you land at on the way home. ;-)

It is a kick. I know solo'ing is a big deal, but when you actually take off from one place and land some distance away at another all by yourself, you begin to feel like a "real pilot". Er, at least I did anyway ;-)
bcnu,
Mikem

New It's 70 nm from KUES to KMTW
We did cross country planning this morning, since it was too crappy to fly (winds aloft 250@47 and it just gets worse from there.) My instructor is going to let me pick my own cross country routes; so long as they meet the requirements. So I'll probably be visiting the parents a few times.

My night cross country will be in a Warrior. My instructor wants to go into some Class C airspace (Madison, WI) , and the Citabria doesn't have a transponder. That should be fun.

I'd have to agree with you. It's the cross countries where you really start feeling like a pilot. I'm looking forward to them.

Brian Bronson
New Cool. Have fun.
Not all instructors let their students decide where to fly on their solo X-C's. You've got a good one.

If the weather is okay in a couple of weeks, I'm going C62-UCP on 10/18 and returning on 10/19. IF the weather's okay - which this time of year up here is an absolute crap-shoot.

If you haven't checked it out already, check out [link|http://www.airnav.com|http://www.airnav.com]

A lot of the airports have pictures, so you'll know what the place looks like if it's the first time you flown there. ;-)
bcnu,
Mikem

New Thanks. Already had airnav bookmarked! Great site
Hope the weather holds for your trip.

Brian Bronson
New Re: Third Gitmo related arrest
Seems fishy to me too - perhaps a pretext to fuck with Syria.
-drl
New You may also recall that the identities of the prisoners is
secret. It could be that the Gitmo prisoners wanted to get the word out that they are alive to their kin and the "traitors" thought that was a humane think to do.
Alex

Is this a '5th Column' found within US Army ? - (dmarker) - (37)
         If so, not the first one. - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             and Hansen? Or do mormons get a free pass? -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Hansen was FBI, not military. - (a6l6e6x)
         Hard to say from what I have seen - (JayMehaffey) - (9)
             Amen to that sentiment. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (7)
                 Big question - (jake123) - (6)
                     The process needs to be open. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (4)
                         Doesn't mean it will be - (jake123) - (3)
                             Military Court Martial - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                                 Fertile ground for speculation - (jake123) - (1)
                                     Every repressive regime requires a Bonhoeffer to appear - (Ashton)
                     Trial? What makes you think we still do that? -NT - (mmoffitt)
             dreyfus case? -NT - (boxley)
         Another Airman charged as spy for Syria - (JayMehaffey)
         Third Gitmo related arrest - (JayMehaffey) - (22)
             This is America. - (mmoffitt) - (19)
                 Hey...wait... - (bepatient) - (18)
                     You might want to run that by... - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                         Huh? - (bepatient) - (7)
                             You'd be amazed... - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                 Re: You'd be amazed... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                     ? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                         Not quite... - (bepatient) - (3)
                                             It is the people's air - (jake123) - (2)
                                                 But would I not... - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                     Not Xactly. - (mmoffitt)
                     Not a Cessna; an ultralight instead - (bbronson) - (8)
                         Amen. And, btw, ... - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                             Birds don't have nosewheels, either, so... - (bbronson) - (6)
                                 Man, I almost envy you. - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                     No cross countries yet - (bbronson) - (4)
                                         If it isn't 50 nm, it isn't. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                             It's 70 nm from KUES to KMTW - (bbronson) - (2)
                                                 Cool. Have fun. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Thanks. Already had airnav bookmarked! Great site - (bbronson)
             Re: Third Gitmo related arrest - (deSitter) - (1)
                 You may also recall that the identities of the prisoners is - (a6l6e6x)

I heartily endorse this event or product!
147 ms