IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I've read way too many Oracle books lately
The exact footnote is:

* See "Object Oriented Programming Oversold!" by B. Jacobs, [link|http://www.geocities.com/tablizer/oopbad.htm|http://www.geocities...blizer/oopbad.htm]

The longer context is as follows:

[link|http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/oraclep3/|Pontifications]

I have to confess that I started programming before object approaches made any kind of inroads into business application development. I think I'm still waiting for that to happen.

Over the years, I've seen no compelling evidence that any particular programming style has a monopoly on the fundamental things we care about - fidelity to requirements, performance efficiency, developer effectiveness, and system reliability. I have seen a lot of fads, bandwagons, hand-waving, and unsupported assumptions (OK, I'm probably not entirely innocent myself), and object-oriented programming seems to attract quite a lot of it. That isn't to say that OOP fails to help you solve problems; it's just that OOP is not the magic bullet that many would have you believe.

Take, for example, the principle of object-based decomposition, particularly as it tends to generate inheritance hierarchies. By accurately modeling objects as they exist in the real world, software artifacts should be easier to comprehend, faster to assemble, and more amenable to large-scale system development. Sounds fabulous, doesn't it? Well, there are a lot of different ways to decompose something drawn from the real world.* It is a rare taxonomy that can exist in a simple hierarchy. My library catalog hierarchy could have been decomposed according to, say, media (print versus audio tape versus digital format....). And although Oracle provides wonderful tools for type evolution, it may still be so painful to make sweeping changes in a tyoe hierarchy that it will never happen. This isn't really the tool's fault; reality has a way of circumventing even the best-laid plans.

Nor is it clear that co-locating the programming logic (methods) with the data (attributes) in an abstract datatype yields any measurable benefits. It looks reasonable and makes for some great sound bites, but how exactly will coupling data and behavior be better than keeping data structures (logical and physical table design) seperate from processes (procedures, functions, packages)? Many development methods acknowledge that an organization's business data structures have a much slower rate of change than do the algorithms that manipulate them. It is a design truism (even for OOP) that the more volatile elements of a a system should be kept seperate from the more stable elements.

There is considerable inconsistency on this last point. Rich and famous object evangelists, while emphasizing the value of bundling data with behaviors, simultaneously promote a "model-view-controller" approach that "seperates business logic from data." Are these emperors wearing clothes or not?

Many OOP proponents have argued for years that its greatest benefit is the reuse of software. It has been said so many times that it must be true! Unfortunately, few observers have hard evidence for this, in part because there is no consensus on what constitutes "reuse". Even object apologists began promoting higher-level "components" (whatever those may be) as a preferred unit of reuse precisely because objects proved very difficult to fit into situations beyond those for which they were designed. My sense is that OOP results in no more code reuse than well-designed subroutines.

New thanks for the quote
             What he said, with more detail - (drewk) - (20)
                 Re: What he said, with more detail - (deSitter) - (2)
                     Uhh, HTML *is* structured - (drewk) - (1)
                         HTML not a page definition language - (deSitter)
                 What he said, and what he before him said ... - (JimWeirich) - (15)
                     Someone confirm/deny what I was told - (drewk) - (13)
                         Depends on the language - (admin) - (7)
                             Re: Depends on the language - (deSitter) - (2)
                                 Sounds more like FORTRAN - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                                     Yes, very FORTRANish - (admin)
                             Different reason for that, I believe - (drewk) - (3)
                                 We did testing... - (admin) - (2)
                                     D'oh! - (drewk) - (1)
                                         ROFL. -NT - (admin)
                         I have a 1GHz laptop - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                             Or better yet - (Arkadiy)
                         Re: Someone confirm/deny what I was told - (JimWeirich) - (1)
                             Yeah that guy gets around! - (tuberculosis)
                         Puh-LEEEEZE! - (jb4)
                     How big a block? - (static)
                 Pascal has one up on PHP - (tablizer)
         Re: inline PHP code and HTML - (tuberculosis) - (18)
             Copy and Paste vs Functions. - (static) - (17)
                 Nothing wrong with 12 4-5 line functions - (admin)
                 Typical size of a method in Smalltalk is probably 4-5 lines - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                     Um. Yabut. - (FuManChu) - (14)
                         I was wondering how to say that. :-) - (static) - (13)
                             I'm going for fairly strict layout/form/content separation - (FuManChu)
                             Do I smell another "OO is better abstraction" war brewing? - (tablizer) - (11)
                                 That is a fault of history OF the current language. - (FuManChu) - (4)
                                     So you reject a language because - (tablizer) - (3)
                                         Not at all. - (FuManChu) - (2)
                                             not very nice wording, if you ask me - (tablizer) - (1)
                                                 Then you might have guessed I wasn't trying to be diplomatic -NT - (FuManChu)
                                 Not unless you're spoiling for a fight. -NT - (static) - (1)
                                     No, fighting the spOOilings -NT - (tablizer)
                                 Hey Bryce... - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                     Perhaps - (tablizer) - (2)
                                         I've read way too many Oracle books lately - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                             thanks for the quote -NT - (tablizer)
         Re: Question about programming with functions. - (JayMehaffey)
         Code as a Communications Tool - (gdaustin)
         Code for readability - (broomberg) - (3)
             Profiling and optimizing. - (static) - (2)
                 Difficult to optimize the algorithm after the fact - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Yes, I know. - (static)

But clearly, it's unreasonable to use a sledge hammer to drive upholstery tacks.
131 ms