IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Online Colleges
I haven't got the time or energy to go to a normal campus, but I want to earn a 4 year degree. I've requested information from a few of them, and one of them got back with me.

The website is here:

[link|http://www.aiu-online.com/|http://www.aiu-online.com/]

I talked to someone over the phone and filled out an online application, until it went to a $50USD processing fee and I quit. Not sure how to handle that, but I already gave them my SSN, High School, College, and Work info. Then I started thinking, what kind of college are they really?

Anyone have any experience with them, or know about them?

I learned that they only support IE for the browser, and only MS-Office for the college work at home.

I stopped myself before I potentionally made a big mistake. Should I continue, or find a different college?

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New Most if not ALL
Colleges and Unversities has Online course and a lot of them offer degrees without ever stepping on a campus.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New St Leo in Florida has an entirely web based degree
"You're just like me streak. You never left the free-fire zone.You think aspirins and meetings and cold showers are going to clean out your head. What you want is God's permission to paint the trees with the bad guys. That wont happen big mon." Clete
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
New Re: Online Colleges
[link|http://www.phoenix.edu/|http://www.phoenix.edu/]

[link|http://online.phoenix.edu/CampusProgramList.asp|These degrees] offered via the web.
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Holy Sh*t!
$400/credit hour???? WOW!
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New must be Non-Resident
Darrell Spice, Jr.                      [link|http://www.spiceware.org/cgi-bin/spa.pl?album=./Artistic%20Overpass|Artistic Overpass]\n[link|http://www.spiceware.org/|SpiceWare] - We don't do Windows, it's too much of a chore
New I have a meeting with them tomorrow
they told me $350USD a credit hour. I have a meeting with an adviser tomorrow at Phoenix. It is a half-hour drive to get there using the back roads. Hope I don't get lost.

My wife thinks UMSL may be better for me, but we'll see.

"Lady I only speak two languages, English and Bad English!" - Corbin Dallas "The Fifth Element"

New I signed up at Phoenix
BSB in Business Management, if my AAS transfers most of the classes I will take two years of Monday Nights to get the degree. Face to face, on campus.

AAS is in Data Processing, BSB will be in Business Management. Computers and Business for a good combination, I hope.

New Good Luck
bcnu,
Mikem

The soul and substance of what customarily ranks as patriotism is moral cowardice and always has been...We have thrown away the most valuable asset we had-- the individual's right to oppose both flag and country when he (just he, by himself) believed them to be in the wrong. We have thrown it away; and with it all that was really respectable about that grotesque and laughable word, Patriotism.

- Mark Twain, "Monarchical and Republican Patriotism"
New Thanks I'll need it
Don't know how well I will do, or interact with other students. Plus the local road goes past some farms and twists around and has no street lights on it. Two areas on that road are limited to one car. Classes will be at night from 6pm to 10pm. So driving home will be a challenge. But I am facing my fears to go there.

New IMO, online is harder than in class
Attending classes gives you motivation to complete the work, while doing the work from home can cause some serious slack issues.

Seriously.
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

Therin lies the true measure of a man.
New Self-motivation and discipline
It takes a high level of self-motivation and discipline to succeed in an online program, similar to telecommuting or even entrepreneuring (is that a word?).

Norm, I'd highly suggest talking to a counselor at one of these institutions offering online programs. They're able to test you and offer a recommendation of whether or not your personality/cognitive abilities would be congruent with such a program.
-----
Steve
New I will be talking to one on Monday
they will be calling me back then.

New Had the phone meeting
they pressured me to pay the $50USD by 1pm CST tomorrow or else I won't get accepted. It will cost $26,360USD to get a four year degree in 13 months. Accelerated learning I guess?

New Re: Online Colleges
Norm, WHY are you so lazy?

You're not stupid. But you can't say something like "I want a college degree but I'm too lazy to go to college" and not have people think you're stupid.

Online colleges are little more than degree mills for career climbers.

You'd be better off at a community college. We have several good ones here.

It would do you good to hang out with the students.
-drl
New I am not lazy, I just don't have the time
nor can I drive on the highways to get to those colleges. I have a fear of the highway and I always get cut off and forced to an exit ramp when I do try to drive on a highway.

I got a son which I watch at home, he has Pre-Kindergarden now, but during the day when he is in school I have things to do at home, and work on my computer. Right now I am trying to figure out how sa-learn works, fixing a friend's computer, trying to figure out what is wrong with my computer, and getting on local forums such as this one to check up on things. Before I know it, time for my son to come home from school and I am busy again. By the time I have some free time, when my wife comes home from work at 8pm, it is late in the evening and the local colleges don't have classes then. Of course by then I am worn out and my medicine is making me drowsy and I am unable to drive. Sometimes during the day my medicine makes me drowsy and I can't drive anyway and I have to take extended naps to snap out of it. Hard for me then to keep a college schedule. Not to mention things that come up at the last minute that need my attention, or I have to do shopping for the house, etc. We just repaired a bathroom and hung up new wallpaper, it wasn't easy.

I'm always having things to do, and I just cannot go to college during the day because of them. Right now I am fighting to stay awake so I can get some things done around the house and work on my friend's computer. I'm not charging him, but he has nobody else to fix it for him. Due to a power failure his hard drive died, and I have to reinstall everything and configure it for him. Next week it could be someone else who needs a computer worked on, who knows?

Edit: By the way I have an Associates in Data Processing, the Community Colleges only get me a two year degree and I want a four year one if possible.

Expand Edited by orion Sept. 18, 2003, 10:11:40 AM EDT
New Actually Ross...
You quite incorrect. Most Colleges and Universities now have a Distance Learning Program.

They are not by any means Degree Mills.

They are just as hard and dependant on you ability to do your work.

The test are usually HARDER on most Online course I have seen (and being the lead Analyst in charge of the Distance learning systems @ GRCC ) I will have to tell you that most of the classes are just fricking hard.

So. There. But it would do him good to have Face to Face with some others.
--
[link|mailto:greg@gregfolkert.net|greg],
[link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry|REMEMBER ED CURRY!] @ iwethey
New Face to face
I tend to upset people without really trying. Just look at the examples here without the face to face environment.

Then again if I am ever going to get better I need experience and I need to try better. If I could afford it, I could go to UMSL, a State College I can access from a local road or the Metrolink Train.

Problem is I have a rather pathetic luck and bad things happen to me a lot. Illnesses, accidents, general nucance stuff, etc. Today my son got sick in school, had to pick him up early. If I go to a campus I'll have to carry a cell phone and skip out on classes if my son gets sick. That will be an extra expense for the cell phone, and if I miss something important in class I'm screwed. With an Online Course, I can just get a transcript from the instructor and view the online notes. Maybe even take the classes when I have free-time.

New Those are excuses...
If I go to a campus I'll have to carry a cell phone and skip out on classes if my son gets sick. That will be an extra expense for the cell phone

Before there were cell phones what did one do? Get the number of the office and have a message relayed to you. It still works that way.

if I miss something important in class I'm screwed.

No, just like any other college student, you make contact with the instructor and ask what was covered, or contact a fellow student for their notes.

This is not meant to critize you Norm. My wife does the same thing, and so do some of my daughters. Instead of finding out HOW to accomplish the goal, I hear a million reasons why "it won't work". If I offered you a million dollars upon completion of an on-campus college degree, would you be able to find a way to do it?
</rant>
New Uh, most likely I'd give it my best try
but I couldn't promise anything. Knowing my luck I'd most likely suffer from a stress attack and end up in a hospital from trying too hard and not win the million dollars.

New Negative Thoughts
Due to my depression, I often have negative thoughts. This is not something I can control. I often think negative things about something I want to do and it avoids me from doing it.

I may not even be capable of attending college, online or in person. Won't know for sure until I've tried.

Online Colleges - (orion) - (20)
         Most if not ALL - (folkert) - (1)
             St Leo in Florida has an entirely web based degree -NT - (boxley)
         Re: Online Colleges - (bepatient) - (6)
             Holy Sh*t! - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 must be Non-Resident -NT - (SpiceWare)
                 I have a meeting with them tomorrow - (orion) - (3)
                     I signed up at Phoenix - (orion) - (2)
                         Good Luck -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             Thanks I'll need it - (orion)
         IMO, online is harder than in class - (inthane-chan) - (3)
             Self-motivation and discipline - (Steve Lowe) - (2)
                 I will be talking to one on Monday - (orion) - (1)
                     Had the phone meeting - (orion)
         Re: Online Colleges - (deSitter) - (6)
             I am not lazy, I just don't have the time - (orion)
             Actually Ross... - (folkert) - (4)
                 Face to face - (orion) - (3)
                     Those are excuses... - (jbrabeck) - (2)
                         Uh, most likely I'd give it my best try - (orion)
                         Negative Thoughts - (orion)

We got the same old show.
141 ms