IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Updated resume. Please critique.
[link|http://www.oz.net/~inthane/Resume.txt|Right here.]

Text, no line wrap, for input into a webform. Before the final draft, I'll be turning all the tabs into spaces, so don't worry about that.

Thanks,
Thane

P.S. The job this resume is for is [link|http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/getjob.asp?JobID=18824863&AVSDM=2003%2D08%2D17+12%3A55%3A00&CCD=my%2Eusajobs%2Eopm%2Egov&JSD=jobsearch%2Eusajobs%2Eopm%2Egov&HD=company%2Eusajobs%2Eopm%2Egov&Logo=0|here.]
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

Therin lies the true measure of a man.
New Bullet the blue skies
i.e. break up the activities into bulleted chunks that can be digested by the most dyspeptic HR drone. I can see someone tossing this because of the massive activity paragraphs.

-drl
New Interesting.
My father, who is a head administrator with the Department of Education, said I should lose them.
In that final hour, when each breath is a struggle to take, and you are looking back over your life's accomplishments, which memories would you treasure? The empires you built, or the joy you spread to others?

New Figures :)
If it occured to me, it must be wrong :)
-drl
New Hey, my dad's been wrong before...
...not that you'll ever get him to admit it, and not very often, but he does make mistakes occasionally. ;)

New Since it's HTML
..why not just copy the beautiful layout of these fora and replace posts with experience?
-drl
New All text.
No HTML is allowed in the resume.

New My solution to that is...

To write an HTML resume, and dump it to text with Lynx.

\r\n\r\n

More accurately -- a Makefile, which when run against an HTML format of my resume, produces text, PS, PDF, and RTF (masquerading as DOC) formats. Plust twists. [link|http://tinyurl.com/lu0f|Usenet post].

--\r\n
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]\r\n
[link|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/|http://kmself.home.netcom.com/]\r\n
What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?\r\n
[link|http://twiki.iwethey.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/|TWikIWETHEY] -- an experiment in collective intelligence. Stupidity. Whatever.\r\n
\r\n
   Keep software free.     Oppose the CBDTPA.     Kill S.2048 dead.\r\n[link|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html|http://www.eff.org/alerts/20020322_eff_cbdtpa_alert.html]\r\n
New Well, yeah, that's the sensible solution...
...but we can't all be as cool as you, Karsten. ;)

New You know the audience...
You said a department of the EPA?

Typical U.S. Corporate HR drones tend to like 1-2 page resumes, bullet points, buzzwords, easily digestible.

For these guys, it's all about feeding them into a resume shredder, finding the right buzzwords, then popping out about 15-25 resumes from the 3000 that came in through HR. (BTW, these come AFTER the 5-10 resumes each headhunter has supplied them with.)

Typical U.S. corporation wants your most recent experience, last 24-36 months. Anything prior is "inconsequential".

Academic, U.S. Government tend to be more like your father says. They want a Curriculum Vitae, not a Resume. They want your "entire" employment history (easier for the background check). They want contacts at every company you've ever worked for. They want "paragraphs".

You know the audience, you already will get into the running. So I would say, do what you think you should here.

Glen Austin
New M$ specific quotes and apostrophes
Not really plain text.
New Where?
AFAIK, there's only one apostrophe and no quotes at all in the document...

BTW, just dumped a revised edition on the server. Same URL and all that.

New No quotes, only apostrophes
And I can't get the new version, server timeout!

Id send it to the head
Thane ONeill Walkup
Rational Softwares Visual Test Suite
Microsofts Money 2000
Microsofts MSN Internet Access Software
Microsofts Windows 2000
New Fixed.
Thanks.

Oh, I just checked the new version - it's there, not sure what's up with that...

New Critique
> Provided end user, desktop, and LAN support for 75 users as well as
> Windows Active Directory support. Successfully designed, tested,
> and deployed Office 2000 to Office XP upgrade package.

I typically want to know if a person worked with others with
these type of projects. And if so, were you the grunt on the
bottom or the person who designed and directed the others.

Large projects are always assumed to be done by teams. So if
you don't specify what you did in relation to the others,
it is assumed you didn't do much.

And if not as part of a team, then say so.

Is there any packaged app or database environment that the
EPA uses that is unusual? If, so, make sure you put that on
the skills list.

Have you ever dealt with money? Vendors? Done budgets?
Specced equipment based on financial constraints? I assume
yes based on the project work, but you don't say. Everything
you talk about is from the technical perspective. But you are
going for a job that has a non-technical side. Try to speak to
that portion in your resume. Someone might assume you've done
none of it and therefor not qualified for that side of the job.
New Great point.
Thanks, I'm updating to reflect that.

New Final update made to resume.
Feel free to bang away at it - URL has not changed.

Don't think that my "comparable to Novell's product X" statements actually reflect my personal opinion - I just need to do some squeezing to fit the job requirements.

New Explain what you mean by the Novell VS AD statement
to me, not meaning add it to the resume.
Expand Edited by broomberg Sept. 1, 2003, 12:40:15 PM EDT
New OK, just reread the job description
Bad idea. The only reason to include these type of buzzwords is to get the resume past a screener. Which you should already have by virtue of the recomendation.

So instead, a tech might be reviewing this and thinking:

GEEZ. Another M$ idiot who thinks he can replace NDS with AD. **shred**
New The reasoning behind my statement.
This being a government job, my resume first has to meet the requirements of the HR department - of whom I am acquainted, and I am quite aware that they know computers about as well as I know the inner secret dogmas of the Roman Catholic church. (IOW, what they know can be summed up as sqrt(-1)) So basically, they're going to go through the resumes, and discard any that don't meet their buzzword compliance level.

Once it gets past that phase, it will go to a task force of people who I know very well - and they are quite aware of my opinion of Microsoft software, and understand that I am most definitely not a shill, nor believe that Microsoft products should be used as a drop-in replacement for any reason whatsoever.

If this thinking is flawed, please let me know.

New Makes sense
As long as you are sure that you won't get killed by a tech.
New Seems a really interesting dance
..but Shtupid! (in the Arte Johnson German-soldier Laugh In sense, natch)

Mutually exclusive zero-sum idjit game! (and yes yes, of course - seems the only One in this fucked-up nation-wide town). You guys therefore are.. ALL working with simpletons.. at the level of any "decision" making: because Those Are who run Murican bizness (to flog the obvious One More Time).

IF... the buzz-words get past filtering by the HR / cum wastebasket emptying Dept .?.
THEN... there are implications of er terminal Billyness-BS eating at the brain of the applicant - to the later cuth peruser of your screed!

So there is No Hope of displaying any earned er 'Truth' in your own advertising because EITHER the toy-software slugs OR the actual Pros shall take offense.

{sigh}

You. Poor. Bastards.

Reminds me of the perfect wry Maugam short story (once acted flawlessly by the immortal Sir Alec Guiness): The Verger ... with the world's longest shaggy-dog punchline -- if you're never gonna look it up and read this one, I'll give a synopsis; it's Good even when eviscerated ;-)

Condolences, Oh weary traveller who has even survived a Jobean incarceration within the putrefying belly of the very-Beast Itself! yet.. remained unusually sane-ish, did Not take your AK-47 to work on the last day. etc etc

Cheers too; Ya never Know..

Ashton
I wish there was a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence. There's a knob called 'brightness', but it doesn't work.
Gallagher
New We do something like that
Have a job opening for Unix admin (yes, I DID forward
the various resumes I currently have).

Speaking of which: Box, check your email at tsiconnections.com.

The long haired hippy looking admin does a tech proofing.
He always asks:

What is the best operating system?

Any single answer at all is major points against you.

If you truly believe there is a "best", no matter what the task
(task was not defined), then you are incompetent to admin in
a heterogenous environment. If you don't believe there is a best,
but make one up to try to game the interview, you are lying and
can't be trusted.

New Re: Updated resume. Please critique.
One suggestion: don't include referees at all. Just say 'Available upon request'. This will prevent them from getting calls from all and sundry and getting mightily annoyed with you.
qts
New Normally that would be the case.
This resume is for a single job, not general purpose, and every person there knows I'm applying for this one. :)

Updated resume. Please critique. - (inthane-chan) - (24)
         Bullet the blue skies - (deSitter) - (8)
             Interesting. - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                 Figures :) - (deSitter) - (5)
                     Hey, my dad's been wrong before... - (inthane-chan) - (4)
                         Since it's HTML - (deSitter) - (3)
                             All text. - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                                 My solution to that is... - (kmself) - (1)
                                     Well, yeah, that's the sensible solution... - (inthane-chan)
                 You know the audience... - (gdaustin)
         M$ specific quotes and apostrophes - (broomberg) - (3)
             Where? - (inthane-chan) - (2)
                 No quotes, only apostrophes - (broomberg) - (1)
                     Fixed. - (inthane-chan)
         Critique - (broomberg) - (1)
             Great point. - (inthane-chan)
         Final update made to resume. - (inthane-chan) - (6)
             Explain what you mean by the Novell VS AD statement - (broomberg) - (5)
                 OK, just reread the job description - (broomberg) - (4)
                     The reasoning behind my statement. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         Makes sense - (broomberg)
                         Seems a really interesting dance - (Ashton) - (1)
                             We do something like that - (broomberg)
         Re: Updated resume. Please critique. - (qstephens) - (1)
             Normally that would be the case. - (inthane-chan)

The only time I forgot to breathe I was on LSD, codiene, sangria, and whippets.
97 ms