IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New No - start of British Invasion (TM) was TDMD

Smalltalk is dangerous. It is a drug. My advice to you would be don't try it; it could ruin your life. Once you take the time to learn it (to REALLY learn it) you will see that there is nothing out there (yet) to touch it. Of course, like all drugs, how dangerous it is depends on your character. It may be that once you've got to this stage you'll find it difficult (if not impossible) to "go back" to other languages and, if you are forced to, you might become an embittered character constantly muttering ascerbic comments under your breath. Who knows, you may even have to quit the software industry altogether because nothing else lives up to your new expectations.
--AndyBower
Expand Edited by tuberculosis Aug. 21, 2007, 06:41:43 AM EDT
New British Invasion (TM)
Interesting notion, and one I first heard advanced, with great bitterness, by a woman friend in the mid-1980s. She held that American rock & roll, a thriving native species, had been fatally tainted and finally overwhelmed by the Brits, beginning with the Beatles, and that even later variants mistaken for home-grown strains (e.g., the "San Francisco" sound) were merely induced mutations. She wasn't a cultural Luddite, exactly--she listened to the current tunes--but her first loyalty was to the vanished doo-wop era, and she always held that a proper rock & roll song should include a saxophone track.

cordially,
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
New With (Only) one *Original* exception: Zappa / The Mothers
..most-all the rest - correct me if I missed some lower-level group that escaped the Homogenizer-Blender-Babelizer -?-

A u-n-i-f-o-r-m collection of (oft badly-whomped) Whomp-Whomp transistor Gee-tar + plastic-transistor-'piano' sounds and Oh-So-similar lyrics, tempo perfectlyuniformly unvarying unRemittinglyDITTO and
p r e d i c t a b l y Invariant dynamic range: \ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd --> \ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd\ufffd
(so much for there being any emotional content signified by nuanced appeal to sensibilities other than.. chaotic paroxism er NoiseScape) AND..

(only occasionally.. and vaguely-) Music-like SOUNDS. Yup: if a shriek Can be called merely "a SOUND". Or a recurrent whine/whinge.. pathos. Or a 'plaint that - "She! kicked me out 'cause I'm really a iggerant Slime-at-Heart (And What a Bitch She Is for Noticing)" OR..

(Of course too, even in Zappaland.. Cruising for Burgers [in Daddy's new car] does not quite.. achieve the wistfulness level of, say Die Sch\ufffdne Mullerin, but then.. what Does? And Yes: Mothers TOO-LOUD too :(

This review brought to you by a consortium of non-rave Reviewers [who usually shake heads, tacitly smarl - and tune-it-out] of the Mondo-crappo which replaced even-Worse-Basiccrap (the Top-10, then Pop-30 then 40) -- and made the RIAA What It Is Today: Soo-Ey! Soo-Ey!

A slop-hogs Wholesale IV funnel-feeder of swill to the *tone-deaf masses of folks what will Consume *Anything* if it's marketed-as-Rilly-BIG-Merde (foreign cachet?), in albums (rhymes with pabulum) with Covers suggesting that . . .

[the listener Too! can stick a bar of Lava\ufffd down his genes.. and GetGurrlsToo]

* tone-deaf? Make that clinically Profoundly-deaf, by age 30 \ufffd
And maybe.. a Good Thing at that. All things considered.

Ashton Recondite Rorshak Reviews LLC
A Div. of Hunter S. Thompson Spiritual Retreats Ltd.
Fad Reviews
Rage Reviews
Era Reviews
(Eon-Reviews - at additional cost. By subscription only.)
New Juno Reactor
Nuff said.

Peter
[link|http://www.debian.org|Shill For Hire]
[link|http://www.kuro5hin.org|There is no K5 Cabal]
[link|http://guildenstern.dyndns.org|Blog]
New Dont think so
Although some groups that evolved into the 80's big hair bands were strictly Brit enthused, Here are a few that wernt,
Alice Cooper, Johnny Winters and his brother Edgar. All the Southern rockabilly bands. ZZtop, Golden Earring, Ramones, Guns n Roses were all American flavored rock groups, Now if you want music, listen to the Blues, Delta or Chitown, that be some music.
thanx,
Bill
questions, help? [link|mailto:pappas@catholic.org|email pappas at catholic.org]
     5 August 1962 - (rcareaga) - (32)
         Well, natch.. - (Ashton) - (2)
             naah, chitown got even for Bay of Pigs - (boxley) - (1)
                 Well, Bill no one can beatcha at - (Ashton)
         Larry King has/had that as topic today w/guests that knew - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             In vino ____?veritas? -NT - (Ashton)
         Re: 5 August 1962 - (deSitter) - (1)
             Re: 5 August 1962 - (rcareaga)
         Pikers all - (Silverlock) - (1)
             I thought it was the budding Foulwell, exorcising Divas -NT - (Ashton)
         And it's significant because what? - (pwhysall) - (22)
             Well.. Aristotle, Einstein were a $CELEBRITY too ;-) -NT - (Ashton) - (8)
                 And you're putting M.M.'s accomplishments on a level with - (inthane-chan) - (7)
                     And you're putting Einstein's and Aristotle's... - (jake123)
                     Ever see the movie "insignificance"? - (mhuber) - (5)
                         OT: "Back in the trade" ? - (drewk) - (1)
                             Re: OT: "Back in the trade" ? - (mhuber)
                         EInstein possessed that One quality totally-absent in - (Ashton) - (2)
                             Well, thanks - (mhuber)
                             Re: EInstein possessed that One quality totally-absent in - (deSitter)
             Re: And it's significant because what? - (rcareaga) - (12)
                 Prolly the death of Kurt Cobain is more apropos - (jake123) - (11)
                     Mild disagreement. - (Another Scott)
                     Re: Prolly the death of Kurt Cobain is more apropos - (rcareaga) - (9)
                         You mean as opposed to now - (jake123) - (8)
                             what I meant, actually, - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                 "The Day the Music Died". -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (6)
                                     Wasn't that the day the first Monkees album was released? -NT - (pwhysall) - (5)
                                         No - start of British Invasion (TM) was TDMD -NT - (tuberculosis) - (4)
                                             British Invasion (TM) - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                                 With (Only) one *Original* exception: Zappa / The Mothers - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                     Juno Reactor - (pwhysall)
                                                 Dont think so - (boxley)

Mercy is the mark of a great man. [stabs Atherton] Guess I'm just a good man. [stabs Atherton again] Well, I'm all right.
114 ms