IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Boggling
My dear Nightowl...I'm pleased beyond measure to learn that you deplore Bush. But I'm not made significantly happier to learn that a vote against the pResident comes from a vast stratum of politically ignorant--and I'm heartily sorry if that strikes you or others as a disparaging label, but "ignorant" is as nearly neutral a term as I can devise for what you have written at such length in recent days--occasional voters.

Well, I did vote against him, and it did no good. In fact, I still have doubts about the outcome of that election. But kicking and screaming won't change it. I admit I am ignorant of political matters. I have admitted that repeatedly, and that it is by choice. The few times I learned anything about politics and participated gained me absolutely nothing, so I pretty much stopped participating except in situations where I truly knew what I believed and who was standing for it. But admitting I am ignorant does not mean I agree with all your other descriptive words, I do not.

This country, and the world in consequence, is in huge trouble. Part of the reason that the country is in huge trouble is that a significant fraction of the active electorate looks out upon the world with a viewpoint no more sophisticated than that which you have set forth in your recent posts. That you hold such a viewpoint does not make you a bad individual any more than your moral and historical forbear in late 1930s Germany should be faulted: If those Jews/Gypsies/homosexuals were taken away, the Authorities must have had a good reason, and anyway we're annexing the Sudetenland and invading Poland, so what could possibly be wrong?

I agree that the country has problems, but I am not capable of solving them, nor would my education in politics solve them. I at least am realistic, and it isn't for me to save the world.

You represent, unfortunately, a naïve assumption that our oligarchs know what's best for you. Actually, they probably do know what's best for you, and have devoted their careers to making certain you never get it.

I do not naively believe that the oligarchs, (had to look that one up too), know what's best for me. I simply believe at this time I have no power to change them. I wait for the next election, hope there will be a moral and honest candidate, and vote again when it's my turn.

Nightowl >8#

"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum" (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

Comment by Nightowl
New Aww, geez
Were I to call X (a hypothetical contributor here) a "fool," this would be intended purely as a descriptive term. Should X's contributions strike a majority of the active posters as keen and cogent, then my powers of description would be rightly discounted. If X's contributions be judged horseshit, however, I would wonder at being criticized for calling X a fool rather than "misinformed" or "ill-advised." Don't most of you heartily disparage these weasel-words when they're employed in the service of "political correctness"?

cordially,

[edit: typo]
Die Welt ist alles, was der Fall ist.
Expand Edited by rcareaga July 31, 2003, 01:27:45 AM EDT
New Take it elsewhere
In my estimation, your prose qualify as self-righteous indignation. Yes, I can understand your sense of urgency, but no I don't understand your campaign of condescension.

Anyhow, the Godwyn Line was crossed, so this thread has no signal left to carry. Take any semblance of what's left of a discussion back over to politics.
New Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to
taking orders, speaks of regularly "asking permission to ___"
Amazing how a forum manager appears unbidden, ready to perform triage towards requisite forum locations, correct comments (like the above 'descriptive' ones) which may be accurate, but [implicitly] ought never to be said.

In your opinion. Others may disagree about the hows and whens and ifs. And, I do. As to locale - personally, I can't conceive of a 'social' topic which does not in some way reference or contain 'politics' - which is, after all: about the social behaviour of putatively self-governing groups here and there. Not everything "about politics generally" necessarily belongs in a Politics forum - which generally deals with argument er "within that arena". It's a meta- kinda thing. Unsubtlety is so jejeune.

Further, and on more than one occasion - Nightowl, a person IIRC >30 years of age - has volunteered her views on (the idea of) 'politics', and limned her level of interest and knowledge on the topic. Having so volunteered, and with requisite "I'm so confused" self-commentary upon this predicament in which she finds herself: she has, IMO delivered an invitation for comments. Else why mention the topics? and so provocatively..

Such replies are apt to vary from the merely astonished onwards towards useful perspectives of the sort, Here are some angles on this subject, why it is likely important -even to you- and lastly: might even contain some suggestions for beginning to explore this heady Idea. In fact, both Jake and I (maybe others) offered some remarks of the latter kind, generally refrained from comments upon how it could be that a person might retain such a blank -?- for such an extended period of life.

Lastly, when all the above combines with many other expressed attitudes of general insouciance (a word precisely suited - tough if it isn't seen on cereal boxes) - such expressions veritably beg to be A) ignored (which also Can be rude) or D'Oh: B) commented upon.

Your opinions are noted, your 'orders' are ignored. Those here (or anywhere) who repeatedly indulge in excess become pariahs - and are dealt with in the usual way. (Rarely does a manager manage to alter the process. This despite that admonition from the Highest Office: Watch What You Say!)

Ashton
Paranoia is what happens to the minority when the majority abandons vigilance. via the ex-cwbrenn
New Feel free to ignore mein "orders"
I also suggested (though more politely) that the other party involved take their opinion into the forum dedicated to subjects dealing with politics. Since I have no power of enforcement (nor do I desire such), feel free to carry on in whatever manner you deem reasonable. I don't make the mistake that my words are objective (i.e. descriptive) - they are merely opinions - perhaps best prefaced as such in the future.

This subthread represents a decent microcosm of what the original poster had in mind (feel free to tack on the words IMO at any juncture). I have a total disinterest in either's political viewpoint, yet I get sucked into it all the same.

Yes it's my fault for getting short. And yes I too will leave y'all to wallow in your opines in the "Open Forum". The number of forum I visit on IWETHEY is shrinking over time. Something that I don't generally like, but find it the only strategy to maintain normalcy in these climes - preferring not to give up the forums in toto as the original caller. So when y'all have completed your romp through Politics in this forum, give me a notice in one of the other forii.
New Re: Feel free to ignore mein "orders"
I also suggested (though more politely) that the other party involved take their opinion into the forum dedicated to subjects dealing with politics. Since I have no power of enforcement (nor do I desire such), feel free to carry on in whatever manner you deem reasonable. I don't make the mistake that my words are objective (i.e. descriptive) - they are merely opinions - perhaps best prefaced as such in the future.

I didn't take what you said as bad. I think you were just redirecting me to the proper forum, and I understand that. I wouldn't have expressed the opinion of Bush that I expressed here OR there, however, had I not been given the impression that people here thought my posts were representative of the poster child for his cause... I apologize, but I was only clarfying to the poster in question that that couldn't be farther from the truth.

Yes it's my fault for getting short. And yes I too will leave y'all to wallow in your opines in the "Open Forum". The number of forum I visit on IWETHEY is shrinking over time. Something that I don't generally like, but find it the only strategy to maintain normalcy in these climes - preferring not to give up the forums in toto as the original caller. So when y'all have completed your romp through Politics in this forum, give me a notice in one of the other forii.

I intend to take my response to Ashton to the Politics forum, and any other "political" responses that I may have to make from here, despite my misgivings about being IN the Politics forum to begin with. I didn't know you were apparently the moderator? or guide of this forum, and I respect your request.

Nightowl >8#
"I learned to be the door, instead of the mat!" "illegitimi nil carborundum" (Don't let the bastards grind you down)

Comment by Nightowl
New He's not.
I didn't know you were apparently the moderator? or guide of this forum, and I respect your request.

We all are. This is a "self-moderated" forum...done by all participants.

If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: He's not.
Hmmmm then why did Ashton refer to him as the "Forum manager?"

Confused owl.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Ashton was being wry.
Or sarcastic. Or something similar. Take your pick. :-)
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New It should become a conditioned response.
Confused owl

to Ashton's posts ;-)
If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. Fudd's First Law of Opposition

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New Re: It should become a conditioned response.
Confused owl

to Ashton's posts ;-)

Hehehehe! It already is!!!! No offense to Ashton, but I have to ask John the most questions about his posts than probably any others in here! ;)

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to
I'll answer this later after I go get the huge dictionary again. :)

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Ashton's like that.
And that's a good thing. I learn lots just from reading his posts, even when they don't make sense to me...
And though you hold the keys to ruin of everything I see/With every prison blown to dust, my enemies walk free/Though all the kingdoms turn to sand and fall into the sea/ I'm mad about you I'm mad about you
New Re: Ashton's like that.
And that's a good thing. I learn lots just from reading his posts, even when they don't make sense to me...

Me too, and many others here too. I just wish John's wonderful dictionary didn't weigh almost half as much as I do! LOL! And yes, I know there's an online one, but I'm just so much happier with a real book. :)

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Heads up
I believe the spelling is "jejune".
-Mike
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)
New Re: Heh.. 90% of the time when I 'type'___'system'
I gets 'sysytem'.. too.
Improperly burned firmware. Warranty expired.
New Batting 1000 (7 for 7) with "jejeune" tho :-)
And you seem to do consistently well with "system" here.
Maybe you are concentrating harder on the tricky words?
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
Andre Gide (1869 - 1951)
New You have too much time on your hands ;-) c-a-t-a ^h^h
I moved this post manually over to Politics because I had tried to jump it there.

I believe I successfully did that with the third reply to this post (new thread)

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 31, 2003, 09:05:53 PM EDT
Uh Oh. I wanted this post to jump to politics....

It didn't.

Can anyone (admin) move it there, or do you have any suggestions how I could?

Thanks!

Nightowl >8#

P.S. Never mind, I manually moved it there and linked it to the reply to the first one. :)

Comment by Nightowl
Expand Edited by Nightowl July 31, 2003, 09:09:05 PM EDT
Hi,

By design and by choice, posts can't be moved by [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/user?userid=1&backurl=http%3a//z.iwethey.org/forums/render/user/userStatistics%3fbackurl%3dhttp%253a//z.iwethey.org/forums/render/user/activeUsers%253fbackurl%253dhttp%25253a//z.iwethey.org/forums/render/forum/show%25253fforumid%25253d4|admin] or anyone else.

If you want your post to show up in a different forum, make sure you click the "As New Topic" checkbox, and use the dropdown box below it to select the forum you want. Then click the Save button.

As a general principle, it's probably worth your while to experiment with the various posting functions and options in the [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/forum/show?forumid=4|Test Forum]. Many of the options are simpler to figure out by experimentation than by having someone try to explain it.

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Posts can't be moved. Some more tips...
Thanks, I know what I did wrong. I didn't check the checkbox, just made the selection.

Is it acceptable to copy it and paste it into the Politics forum, and then delete all the content but the direction there in the one in here?

Thanks.

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New There are no moderators here. Use your judgement.
As long as you follow the [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/forum/show?forumid=5|Forum Guidelines] and consider the audience here, you can post however you like. If you're doing something that someone finds annoying, they'll probably let you know.

Show initiative! Charge ahead and wait to be corrected later. :-)

Yes, you can delete a post and manually move it elsewhere if you'd like (though copying it might make more sense if the post already has a reply). If someone wants to see what happened, they can examine the Edit History. If I understand what you want to do, you'll need to manually add a link to the redirected post (if you want to make it easy for your readers to find it). How to do that is left as an exercise for the poster.

If you have more questions like this, they should probably be moved to [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/forum/show?forumid=6|Tips For New zIWETHEY Users].

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Posts can't be moved. Some more tips...
Thanks Scott, it didn't have any replies, so I moved it. :)

I only asked the question in here because it was ChrisR who wanted the topic moved, and his post about it was in here. :) Sorry, I'll ask questions like tha in the tips forum from here on. :)

Thanks again!

Nightowl >8#

Comment by Nightowl
New Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to (new thread)
Created as new thread #112342 titled [link|/forums/render/content/show?contentid=112342|Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to]

Comment by Nightowl
     So long. - (cwbrenn) - (91)
         Wish I could talk you out of it... - (bepatient)
         Ditto. - (inthane-chan) - (45)
             So I am the Crux... - (folkert)
             Re: Ditto. - (rcareaga) - (40)
                 Boggling - (ChrisR) - (39)
                     Then, demanding euphemism: you shall decry mere accuracy? - (Ashton) - (1)
                         It does take patience and endurance - (ChrisR)
                     Re: Boggling - (rcareaga) - (9)
                         Maybe, but are they necessary or appropriate? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                             Re: Maybe, but are they necessary or appropriate? - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                 Re: Maybe, but are they necessary or appropriate? - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                     Just a suggestion - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                         Re: Just a suggestion - (Nightowl)
                         You are passing judgement. - (ChrisR) - (1)
                             a nit picked - (rcareaga)
                         Opinions - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                             Points for pith - (drewk)
                     Re: Boggling - (Nightowl) - (26)
                         Re: Boggling - (rcareaga) - (25)
                             Re: Boggling - (Nightowl) - (24)
                                 Aww, geez - (rcareaga) - (23)
                                     Take it elsewhere - (ChrisR) - (22)
                                         Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to - (Ashton) - (21)
                                             Feel free to ignore mein "orders" - (ChrisR) - (6)
                                                 Re: Feel free to ignore mein "orders" - (Nightowl) - (5)
                                                     He's not. - (bepatient) - (4)
                                                         Re: He's not. - (Nightowl) - (3)
                                                             Ashton was being wry. - (admin)
                                                             It should become a conditioned response. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                                                 Re: It should become a conditioned response. - (Nightowl)
                                             Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to - (Nightowl) - (2)
                                                 Ashton's like that. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                     Re: Ashton's like that. - (Nightowl)
                                             Heads up - (Mike) - (3)
                                                 Re: Heh.. 90% of the time when I 'type'___'system' - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                     Batting 1000 (7 for 7) with "jejeune" tho :-) - (Mike) - (1)
                                                         You have too much time on your hands ;-) c-a-t-a ^h^h -NT - (Ashton)
                                             Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to - (Nightowl) - (6)
                                                 Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to - (Nightowl) - (4)
                                                     Posts can't be moved. Some more tips... - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                                         Re: Posts can't be moved. Some more tips... - (Nightowl) - (1)
                                                             There are no moderators here. Use your judgement. - (Another Scott)
                                                         Re: Posts can't be moved. Some more tips... - (Nightowl)
                                                 Re: Y'know - I know of only one person here who admits to (new thread) - (Nightowl)
             Not an easy lesson to learn - (bepatient) - (2)
                 Took me a long time - (imric) - (1)
                     We've lost several... - (bepatient)
         So long. - (Steve Lowe) - (1)
             This is ironic... - (Arkadiy)
         :( -NT - (boxley)
         I'll miss you - (orion) - (1)
             Re: I'll miss you - (Nightowl)
         Yes, the US-world has turned *nasty*. I Wonder Why. - (Ashton) - (2)
             The problem, I think for us lefties is... - (mmoffitt)
             You woner why? - (Arkadiy)
         On going and returning and new topics... - (slugbug) - (13)
             Buggy .NET components... (new thread) - (admin)
             Startup blues... - (gdaustin) - (7)
                 Thanks... I think :-) - (pwhysall) - (1)
                     Meant as a compliment... -NT - (gdaustin)
                 Also thanks. - (static)
                 I think you've hit on it - (bepatient) - (3)
                     It's much easier to be offensive to someone you've never met - (admin) - (2)
                         Also true - (bepatient)
                         Counter example - (drewk)
             Re: On going and returning and new topics... - (gdaustin) - (2)
                 sub-second transactional environments - (slugbug)
                 Delivering sub-second response times (new thread) - (admin)
             Great idea - (drewk)
         Chris, I'd like to talk you out of it - (kmself) - (1)
             Agreed. - (FuManChu)
         I may have inadvertently contributed to your decision. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Re: I may have inadvertently contributed to your decision. - (Nightowl) - (1)
                 Another thing you might find interesting. - (mmoffitt)
         And thanks for all the fish? - (screamer)
         Good luck Chris, I'll miss you! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Re: So long. - (Nightowl)
         Don't be so daft. - (pwhysall)
         Actually - We're all Lumberjacks and we're OK -NT - (Ashton)
         I believe I understand what you are saying. - (dmarker)
         I wish you well - (Mike) - (6)
             Here's when - (drewk) - (5)
                 Think you're right -NT - (Mike)
                 At the beginning . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                     I tried to jumpstart topics - (orion) - (2)
                         Re: I tried to jumpstart topics - (Nightowl)
                         Don't worry about it. - (admin)
         You'll be missed - (Silverlock)
         Re: So long. - (dmcarls)
         Good luck with Nifty Doorways 6.0 -NT - (scoenye)
         For what it's worth... - (jb4)

Money.
289 ms