IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Supertasters
Try a web search on "supertaster" for more information.

Quote:
"While many researchers continue to map the molecular underpinnings of taste perception, others are investigating the "broccoli dilemma." Why do some hate it and some love it? Scientists are finding that we inherit a level of tasting ability that appears to infiuence what we eat.

The first indication that taste varied between individuals was found in 1931. A chemist discovered that a particular molecule was undetectable to some and bittertasting to others. In 1932, researchers found that the reaction to the chemical ran in families.

Since then researchers have found evidence that approximately 25 percent of people are supertasters and find the synthetic compound, propylthiouracil (PROP), intensely bitter. Some 50 percent find it moderately bitter; about 25 percent can't taste it at all. "
Darryl A. Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New Re: Supertasters
While I haven't been tested for this, I'm pretty sure I fall in that category. I've never been able to enjoy bitter foods. That includes just about all vegetables, wines and beer. The exceptions are such items like honey brown beer, raspberry wheat beer, ice wine and many champagnes due to the sugar content.

I always had such hard battles with my mom over eating my vegetables. Every argument, every tactic failed against me. I'm living proof that the phrase "if you don't eat your vegetables you won't grow up big and strong" is utter bullshit. :-) Of course now I'm forcing myself to eat some of those nasty little critters since I am rapidly approaching 30 and figure my eating lifestyle is going to catch up to me sooner or later and I'm hating every bit of them. (I have eliminated just about all the bad foods like deep fried and most sugar-rich foods.)
lister
     Something biological that makes kids hate veggies? - (tablizer) - (18)
         I think it's a lot about cooking - (Ashton) - (13)
             It's weird - (wharris2) - (12)
                 She'll outlive you - prepare her for the loss :[________:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton) - (11)
                     But only if she get sufficient protien. "Beans", you say? -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (10)
                         Beans, beans the musical fruit.... -NT - (wharris2) - (9)
                             I don't care what they've bean, what are they now? -NT - (static) - (8)
                                 Orange you too old for this? I don't carrot all, though. -NT - (bepatient) - (7)
                                     Blessed are the peas makers for they shall never rutabaga. -NT - (Ashton) - (6)
                                         Ah, she sits amongst the cabbages and peas... - (admin) - (5)
                                             Leeks. - (static) - (4)
                                                 Heard it on the radio-carrototomy: lettuce alone. -NT - (Ashton) - (3)
                                                     you butter leaf it there and romaine calm... -NT - (cforde) - (2)
                                                         Erin Broccolivich agrees; heard it on the raddicio.. -NT - (Ashton) - (1)
                                                             Why? Just Cos! -NT - (Meerkat)
         Supertasters - (dpeterson) - (1)
             Re: Supertasters - (lister)
         my kids (4 & 6) like veggies - (cforde)
         kids are different - (boxley)