IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The decision to make war drove the intelligence...

[...]

What the Bush administration did was gild the lily \ufffd disseminating information that ranged from selective to preposterous. The president himself gave credence to the claim that Iraq was trying to buy uranium in Africa, a story that (as Seymour Hersh's investigations leave little doubt) was based on transparently fraudulent information. Colin Powell in his February performance at the U.N. insisted that those famous aluminum tubes Iraq bought were intended for bomb-making, although the technical experts at the Department of Energy had made an awfully strong case that the tubes were for conventional rocket launchers. And as James Risen disclosed in The Times this week, two top Qaeda planners in custody told American interrogators \ufffd one of them well before the war was set in motion \ufffd that Osama bin Laden had rejected the idea of working with Saddam. That inconclusive but potent evidence was kept quiet in the administration's zeal to establish a meaningful Iraqi connection to the fanatical war on America.

[...]

Those who say flimflam intelligence drove us to war, though, have got things backward. It seems much more likely that the decision to make war drove the intelligence.

The origins of this may be well intentioned. Deputy Defense Secretary Paul Wolfowitz, the most dogged proponent of war against Iraq, is also a longtime skeptic of American institutional intelligence-gathering. He has argued over the years, from within the government and from outside, that the C.I.A. and its sister agencies often fail to place adequate emphasis on what they don't know, and that they "mirror-image" \ufffd make assumptions about what foreign regimes will do based on what we would do.

[link|http://www.nytimes.com/2003/06/14/opinion/14KELL.html?pagewanted=all&position=| NY Times ]

New "The Boys Who Cried Wolfowitz" - love it!
Alex

"Passionate hatred can give meaning and purpose to an empty life." -- Eric Hoffer
     Errors of Mass Destruction - (johnu) - (36)
         Main response - (JayMehaffey) - (20)
             Re: Main response - (johnu) - (2)
                 Not the US responsibility, but UN responsibility - (jbrabeck)
                 Except - (JayMehaffey)
             The line by line - (JayMehaffey) - (16)
                 re: Anthrax in tupperware - (tablizer) - (1)
                     I am sure I read that wrong... - (hnick)
                 Re: The line by line - (johnu) - (13)
                     Memory - (Silverlock)
                     N. Iraq == Kurd territory. D'Oh. No Saddam-love there. -NT - (Ashton) - (5)
                         Nor most other places in Iraq. - (marlowe) - (4)
                             Back from your latest tour of duty? - (Silverlock) - (3)
                                 Well, I had to fight off two - (jbrabeck)
                                 Slack Hawk Clown -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     Children of the Corn -NT - (Ashton)
                     Re: The line by line - (JayMehaffey) - (5)
                         Round and round - (johnu) - (4)
                             Once again - (Silverlock)
                             We have solid evidence - (mhuber) - (2)
                                 Re: We have solid evidence - (deSitter) - (1)
                                     I don't mean Bush the organism - (mhuber)
         The principle error that you and NRO are making... - (Simon_Jester) - (14)
             Re: The principle error that you and NRO are making... - (johnu) - (13)
                 In what way was - (jbrabeck)
                 Curiouser and curiouser.... - (Simon_Jester) - (11)
                     well the government treats us like mushrooms -NT - (boxley)
                     Re: Curiouser and curiouser.... - (johnu) - (9)
                         And I rest my case... - (Simon_Jester) - (8)
                             It's not about WMDs - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                 Yes, it is &^$#&^# Exactly That. - (Ashton)
                             The decision to make war drove the intelligence... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                 "The Boys Who Cried Wolfowitz" - love it! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
                             Re: And I rest my case... - (johnu) - (3)
                                 Come back with some real evidence... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
                                     Nearly two years later.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                         Yep - but lets start a new thread about Downing Street Memos (new thread) - (tuberculosis)

All Your Basic Auth... no, I just can't do it...
297 ms