IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Good point
Refactoring without pre-building unit tests is pretty pointless.

Exactly. Refactoring without unit tests is dangerous and I would agree with him in that case.

But advocates of refactoring generally also advocate unit tests. In fact, I first learned about unit tests from reading Fowler's refactoring book. I've been doing most of my coding test-first for the past 3 years and believe it to have markedly improved the quality of my code.

I've become a strong believer in unit tests, and especially letting them drive the design and implementation.

--
-- Jim Weirich jweirich@one.net [link|http://w3.one.net/~jweirich|http://w3.one.net/~jweirich]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
"Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct,
not tried it." -- Donald Knuth (in a memo to Peter van Emde Boas)
New Another good point
especially letting them drive the design

Unit tests also point out deficiencies in design. I've had a few instances of "jeez, this API I just designed sucks for this task" while writing the unit tests.
Regards,

-scott anderson

"Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson..."
New Me too.
I've also had the happy experience of refactoring code from a child class to a base class and watching the unit tests confirm I haven't broken anything. :-)

Wade.

Is it enough to love
Is it enough to breathe
Somebody rip my heart out
And leave me here to bleed

Is it enough to die
Somebody save my life
I'd rather be Anything but Ordinary
Please

-- "Anything but Ordinary" by Avril Lavigne.

Cringely on Refactoring - (tjsinclair) - (41)
         He's still skirting the real issues to make his "point". - (admin) - (39)
             Good point - (tjsinclair) - (38)
                 Do I use unit tests? - (admin) - (34)
                     Apparently my question sounded dumber than it actually was - (tjsinclair) - (33)
                         Lessons to be gleaned: - (admin) - (16)
                             Great stuff! - (tjsinclair) - (2)
                                 Re: Great stuff! - (admin)
                                 C++ unit testing - sounds painful - (tuberculosis)
                             More: - (admin) - (1)
                                 Code coverage - (Simon_Jester)
                             How does JUnit (and the like) deal with web pages? - (drewk) - (5)
                                 Not really specific to PHP. - (admin) - (3)
                                     Also from that page - (drewk) - (2)
                                         HttpUnit is more useful for integration testing. - (admin)
                                         We use PHPUnit where I work. - (static)
                                 I'm experimenting with testing dynamic content ... - (JimWeirich)
                             Can I quote this thread? - (tjsinclair) - (4)
                                 Even better: - (admin) - (2)
                                     No, you can't use my comments - (drewk)
                                     Thanks! - (tjsinclair)
                                 A TDD Example - (JimWeirich)
                         Ooh, he left out the ^ - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                             That's just evil to the core. :-) -NT - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                 It's C++, what do you expect? -NT - (tuberculosis)
                             I would only use that if it were properly commented. -NT - (static) - (12)
                                 I'd probably never use it at all - (tuberculosis) - (11)
                                     Its a cool parlor trick... - (jb4) - (10)
                                         Not even really a C++ issue as such, is it? - (deSitter) - (9)
                                             Its a Duff Device - (tuberculosis) - (5)
                                                 Yep - it's assembler in C -NT - (deSitter) - (4)
                                                     Most ASM Languages have a SWAP instruction. -NT - (ChrisR) - (3)
                                                         Yes, not my point - (deSitter) - (1)
                                                             And my point... - (ChrisR)
                                                         SWAP? - (JimWeirich)
                                             That's ANSI C?!? - (jb4) - (2)
                                                 That's ANSI C?!? ... YES - (JimWeirich)
                                                 Re: That's ANSI C?!? - (deSitter)
                 Re: Good point - (JimWeirich) - (2)
                     Another good point - (admin) - (1)
                         Me too. - (static)
         FWIW, Squeak is undergoing a huge refactoring effort - (tuberculosis)

Whelmed.
67 ms