IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Umm until *quite*recently..
The Crusades,

Land grab masquerading as religion. More mid-Eastern Christians killed than any other group

the Inquisition

Spanish politics. Killings were politically motivated and not discrimated between religions

don't forget the silence from 'our' religious establishment re our home-grown Terrorists with regular Tee Vee hate propaganda, extending over decades.

Pay attention. There are a fair number of Christian's denouncing most Televangelists. But like in the mideast, the radicals and fanatics get all the press time and those within their religion who criticize then don't get as much audience.

Quit regurgigating the same tired old myths
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New Actually I must agree with Aston...
There's lots of evidence of all religions not tolerating others beliefs...

In addition to the ones he named (off the top of my head) -

Puritans - early America

Mormons - chased out to Utah

Fact is - religions have (and do) chase out 'untolerable' beliefs.

New yes, but...
..trotting out the same old cliches that have nothing to do with religious intolerance doesn't help anything

Mormons - chased out to Utah

That's a good one. The Mormons were not chased out of the east for religious reasons :) There was a lot of religious weirdness going on at that time and the Mormons were just another one in the mix.

It was their criminal activities that got them sent packing
Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New But his point about religious intolerance ...
... and twisting of religions to justify brutal and inhuman actions has been with us for a long, long time.

The world now has a chance to take a stance on inhumanity.

Those that decide that humanity is not important to them will suffer the consequences.

Evil will be rooted out and destroyed, if necessary.

The cancer has got to go or it will destroy the host.
New Laughable
The world now has a chance to take a stance on inhumanity.

Those that decide that humanity is not important to them will suffer the consequences.

Evil will be rooted out and destroyed, if necessary.

The cancer has got to go or it will destroy the host.

10,000 years of human social behavior will be overturned in two weeks?

If the Holocaust didn't scar people enough to change, this certainly won't affect us either

Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New I take it you have no hope?
You see no possibility for good to come out of this even though countries that hated each other a week ago are now talking?

Without hope there is only despair.

I'll keep my faith in humanity and keep hoping.

Maybe that's foolish and laughable but there you have it.
New *shrug* Maybe I have no hope
I have no hope that human nature will chnage because of this. 10,000+ years of history don't provide much evidence of human wisdom ever increasing.

You see no possibility for good to come out of this even though countries that hated each other a week ago are now talking?

Who were our allies in WWII? Was not the Soviet Union in that group? Nations can be notoriously pragmatic and finicky about allegiences

Jay O'Connor

"Going places unmapped
to do things unplanned
to people unsuspecting"
New We either grow up some day ...
... or our technology and hate will eliminate life as we know it.

I'm hoping we have matured enough not to cause our own destruction.

Are you familiar with the Drake Equation?

Now is the time to show the world how mature the people of the world have become.
And the U.S. has the chance to take the lead if we can show a bit of restraint and compassion.
New I'll agree on probable results, this time too - but
Holocaust is a Red Herring. Hitler's scapegoating of the Jews was barely.. 'religious' - almost arbitrarily, they were the designated recipients of the frustration, poverty and hatred engendered by the Draconian terms of the WW-I surrender. Pure economics as in:

"Look at these-smart-college-guys, owning all that property - selling out the Deutsche Volk - a Zionist plot! to take over the Vaterland" (misplaced my copy of MK, so this is just paraphrase).

So back to the point, which is hardly mooted by 'The Holocaust': *this time* the action is alleged to derive from the heart of Religious Dogma\ufffd. Again - 'alleged'. And especially in 'Christian' Murica, there is woeful ignorance about most other religions everywhere - and 'Christians' are as divided as the balance of civilization about, Which GodsWord Is True(r).

So yes - it IS (this time too) about economics, about ~ the entire Muslim world numbering among the poorest (save for a few OPEC places - where the wealth is divided even more absurdly than our mere 95/5, yet poor people live better there, too).

But: the ignorance about Islam (and all others) brings focus on the religious basis, and not the underlying rationale. I maintain there is an opportunity here. But just a slim one. In the end, think we are much more apt to act precipitately than, patiently, cleverly: wisely.

Maybe a litmus: will there be any *lasting* damage to the ongoing agenda of the Tee Vee preachers - following the excrescences of two of them - next (??) Has anyone learned anything new, about hate encapsulated in religious doggerel, *wherever found* ?? (and maybe about: extreme poverty ==> extreme response, in the face of manic wealth, flaunted)

A.
New Human antisocial behavior...
thrives in an atomosphere of terminal nonjudgementalism.

Time for the West to regrow its backbone. And find that moral compass. Inthane's not *completely* wrong on details, after all. No one is absolutely sinless. It's just that our enemies are far far worse than us.

Say, whatever happened to pre-modernism?
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Never made a judgement about our enemies...
...except that they are bad enough that they need excising from this world, before their cancer grows.

We have a sickness as well, but I'm seriously hoping it's not terminal.
"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche
New auto de fe against morranos? politikal? NOT!!!
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
     How poor and hungry are most Afghans? - (brettj) - (35)
         Aid often backfires - (tablizer) - (19)
             Point, counterPoint - (brettj) - (18)
                 Re: Guess you know of 8 aid workers on trial 4 lives in ... - (dmarker2) - (17)
                     Aid workers don't have to preach religion ... - (brettj) - (14)
                         Re: Aid workers don't have to preach religion ... - (dmarker2)
                         Umm until *quite*recently.. - (Ashton) - (12)
                             Re: Umm until *quite*recently.. - (Fearless Freep) - (11)
                                 Actually I must agree with Aston... - (Simon_Jester) - (9)
                                     yes, but... - (Fearless Freep) - (8)
                                         But his point about religious intolerance ... - (brettj) - (7)
                                             Laughable - (Fearless Freep) - (6)
                                                 I take it you have no hope? - (brettj) - (2)
                                                     *shrug* Maybe I have no hope - (Fearless Freep) - (1)
                                                         We either grow up some day ... - (brettj)
                                                 I'll agree on probable results, this time too - but - (Ashton)
                                                 Human antisocial behavior... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                     Never made a judgement about our enemies... - (inthane-chan)
                                 auto de fe against morranos? politikal? NOT!!! -NT - (boxley)
                     Not quite - (Silverlock) - (1)
                         I have the same recollection from NPR stories. -NT - (Another Scott)
         Between a rock and a hard place. - (marlowe) - (14)
             I detect a slight aimed in my direction. - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                 No, I didn't have you in mind. - (marlowe) - (2)
                     Not interested. - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                         Aha! - troll-bashing.. Trolls Unite against this pipsqueak ! -NT - (Ashton)
             Re: Sorry ! But naive opinion of the Taliban - (dmarker2) - (7)
                 The Taliban is not our enemy. - (brettj) - (6)
                     Yes, they are. - (bepatient)
                     Well, they sure as hell ain't our friends. - (marlowe) - (3)
                         Clerics: Bin Laden should be asked to leave - (brettj) - (2)
                             Economist story. NY Times story. - (Another Scott)
                             I don't know whether to feel insulted or... - (marlowe)
                     Re: I suspect the Taliban full well know - (dmarker2)
             think again - (boxley) - (1)
                 Excise the ["] on the end of link? - (Ashton)

Remember, rank times IQ is a constant.
104 ms