That's the one she has available online in PDF format, though there may be other parts that I've not found yet. Interesting reading, nonetheless; the recounting of early twentieth century public health advances in New York is fascinating. I'm more familiar with the efforts of the Europeans (Pasteur, Snow, etc) than I am with what happened in the US in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries.

As for SARS in T.O., I have to say I'm concerned. Considering that these folks are ones who should know how to minimise risk of infection from their patients, the possibilities for what's going to happen to their immediate families are chilling; they would simply not have been thinking about it most of the time, I'd imagine.

One thought that I had earlier this evening would be the consequences if it got into the homeless population in Toronto. That would be really bad, I think. That possibility underlines the importance of looking at indigency not only as an ethical problem (the suffering of the indigent) but also as a potential public health problem.