IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Somewhere in the lore
I recall a remark ~ "the DC-3 may have been the most nearly perfect execution of an aircraft design goal"

(One could add, "with available techno.. unexciting but reliable, predictable, able to fly with many parts with holes in them, survive hellish weather" yada) And IIRC - they were the heroes of the Burma run in WW-II; over mountains, lousy fields, overloaded etc. I guess Berlin airlift was the biggest project (?)

But no stereo headphones or A/C :(

Possibly related, and I've mentioned it before: the ex-Russ pilot who defected by driving his Fulcrum / MIG-29 to Turkey.. in an exciting night takeoff -- dragging the starter unit behind him until the cable broke off!

He laid out a similar design philosophy for USSR fighters: no fancy schmancy techno-rebuild of 8? hours for every flight hour; movable intake filters so you could land / take off at rotten dusty fields. This while being capable of virtually hovering, like our cranky special-purpose thingies.

(Think you might enjoy Fulcrum: A Top Gun Pilot's Escape from the Soviet Empire, by Alexander Zuyev 1992 Warner Books.)

Ashton
New Amazon.com here I come - Thanks Ashton!
bcnu,
Mikem

Osama bin Laden's brother could fly in US airspace 9/15/01, but I had to wait for FBI and CIA background checks, 'nuff said?
     Today was a very good day indeed. - (mmoffitt) - (27)
         Re: Today was a very good day indeed. - (deSitter) - (8)
             Who said anything about "commercial"? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 Re: Who said anything about "commercial"? - (deSitter) - (6)
                     Hmmmm. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                         shoot I was like that before 911 - (boxley)
                         Re: Hmmmm. - (deSitter)
                     fear of flying, and a credo - (rcareaga) - (2)
                         Great quote. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                             I hope to see it in LRPDland one day -NT - (rcareaga)
         I got my ticket - (tuberculosis) - (17)
             Was it always having to "dodge them" that changed you? <g> - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                 No, jumping is cheaper - (tuberculosis) - (15)
                     Yabut. - (mmoffitt) - (14)
                         Dunno if this is the place to point out - - (Ashton)
                         Well actually - (tuberculosis) - (12)
                             If you've done this, you really have done my dream. - (mmoffitt) - (11)
                                 Sadly, no DC-3s - (tuberculosis)
                                 call era aviation in AK - (boxley) - (1)
                                     Thanks Box and Todd ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                 Re: If you've done this, you really have done my dream. - (rcareaga) - (7)
                                     Great Pics. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                         Great Pic - (deSitter) - (3)
                                             Heh. I'm not that romantic. I just like the airplane :-) - (mmoffitt)
                                             So, got that off a .no site, didja? (Or was it a .dk one?) -NT - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                 Knew you'd spot that! - (deSitter)
                                         Somewhere in the lore - (Ashton) - (1)
                                             Amazon.com here I come - Thanks Ashton! -NT - (mmoffitt)

None shall pass!
51 ms