IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Most of that could be fixed.
>>Plus, sometimes, they gotta go....
Here's a solution ;-)
[link|http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?|http://www.sportys....howdetl.cfm?]&DID=19&Product_ID=297&CATID=96

>>Sometimes the Captain is needed in the back to make a determination
Let somebody else (maybe a "Cabin Captain"?) make that call.

But I honestly do not believe that anything we do will have any impact. We might be able to make it harder, but given the limits our populace will place on lack of convenience, I don't believe we can truly block this from happening.

Somebody asked Colin Powell if he had any information about planned future attacks and he said he didn't. I thought, "Did you have any information 2 days ago about what happened yesterday?"

Thanks,
Mikem
New Fixing is relative.
So you fix that, and something else comes up. Maybe they figure how to hijack the actual flight system from the back.

Yes, you *can* find a way to do a lot of that. But it might not matter. Think about how many antiaircraft missiles there are in "unsavory" hands. Think about 2-3 of those being fired at several major airports during a rush season, at the same time.

Sure, you can prevent that. But you're starting to describe Air Force 1.

Its like the uncrashable airplane. They've got 'em, but they don't fly.

I don't believe we can truly block this from happening.

Its really not a convience thing. That doesn't help - but its always going to be *possible* to do something horrific.

The best you can do is try to cut the chances down.

Addison
New Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication.
Locks can be picked. Lock your door anyway.
Firewalls can be hacked. Use a firewall anyway.
Anti-terrorist precautions can be worked around. Take precautions anyway.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash.
New A slightly more moderate version.
As I've suggested elsewhere: make ubiquitous broadband access happen. Then we can have telecommuting and telepresence, and cut way down on business travel.

Just think. Instead of battling through to the airport, waiting for your flight, cramming yourself into that seat, hunting for your luggage, dragging your cramped up carcass to the rental agency, driving through an unfamiliar city to that damn trade show, you can just sit at home and log on. Chat with your local warm body in the booth via teleconferencing. Answer attendees' questions the same way. (They don't have to be there either.) Upload emergency software patches. And if you've got spare cycles, jump from one webcam to the next and take in the other exhibits. Which needn't all be in the same convention center, or even the same city, by the way. In fact, your local warm body and his display booth could be a thirty minute drive away.

Of course it's not the same. That's the point. And it's way safer. And let's be honest. Vegas is way overrated.
[link|http://www.angelfire.com/ca3/marlowe/index.html|http://www.angelfir...e/index.html]
New I'm glad you've decided to moderate some.
But its still a long way from what's reasonable.

Problem is, with *anything* you're having to gamble, to weigh risks.

Nothing is 100% safe, or assured. So you have to weigh all those sorts of things. "Why don't they make cars that protect you in any crash" - "They do, they're called M1 Abrams Main Battle Tanks. They make a real mess of the pedestrians, though, and get about 2 gallons to the mile".

So you have to draw the line somewhere. And if someone is motivated, if they've got the time and the resources, they will always find SOMEthing you missed, SOME weakness.

Instead of battling through to the airport, waiting for your flight, cramming yourself into that seat, hunting for your luggage,

Airport is 15 minutes away. Another 5 or so to chat, get the keys, load baggage, get prepped, fire up engine, get set up, and I'm away. I know where my luggage is, no problem.

Of course it's not the same. That's the point. And it's way safer. And let's be honest. Vegas is way overrated.

So I presume you're armoring your house tomorrow, and never leaving?

Addison
New Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-)
     A simple question nobody seems to ask - (Andrew Grygus) - (73)
         Up to now... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Tasers might be a good idea. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Still useful to the wrong people... - (addison)
         Gong! - (gdaustin) - (15)
             I agree with your assessment... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Odd random thought - (drewk) - (1)
                     Luggage Laptops - (gdaustin)
                 Passenger planes - (Steven A S)
             You do realize... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 I don't realize that. - (addison)
                 YOU DO REALIZE... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: YOU DO REALIZE... - (addison) - (2)
                         actually both is better than one -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder - (cwbrenn)
                     YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING - (cwbrenn)
                     Something like that has happened once before - (bconnors)
             One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Understood: free night-shades supplied on request_____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Asked and answered many times. - (addison) - (42)
             Why do the cockpits have to be accessible from the cabin? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                 Lots of reasons. - (addison) - (40)
                     Most of that could be fixed. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Fixing is relative. - (addison) - (5)
                             Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication. - (marlowe) - (4)
                                 Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash. -NT - (addison) - (3)
                                     A slightly more moderate version. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         I'm glad you've decided to moderate some. - (addison) - (1)
                                             Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Lots of solutions - (marlowe) - (32)
                         There's *no* "justs" here. - (addison) - (31)
                             Seven to ten years? - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 Yep. - (addison)
                             OT: Kneejerk - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Not given the emergency. - (addison) - (11)
                                     It is weird. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Not really. - (addison) - (9)
                                             most arrests too... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             So, what do we do? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 No. - (addison) - (6)
                                                     You know something I don't? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Just the NOTAM. - (addison) - (4)
                                                             Can you imagine the NOTAMs that'll be out shortly? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 That's not that unusual. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                     I know what flight following is. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         OK - (addison)
                             Here's a question for you. - (marlowe) - (15)
                                 The answer is: - (addison) - (14)
                                     I blithely ignore nothing. Shame on you. - (marlowe) - (13)
                                         Emotions gentlemen.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                             But this is part of the problem. - (marlowe)
                                         There's no shame attached to me. - (addison) - (10)
                                             That's harsh. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 It should be. - (addison) - (8)
                                                     Had to reread my posts. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                         Nobody's saying it's easy. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                                             You did. - (addison) - (5)
                                                                 The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                     Doesn't change my point.... - (addison)
                                                                     Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (wharris2)
                                                                 All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                     Not as bad as - (addison)
         A few idiots with box openers who claimed to have a bomb... - (inthane-chan)
         They probably never would have got a chance to use it. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re squawk, this time. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Too much uncertain. - (mmoffitt)
         2 words... - (bepatient) - (6)
             double barreled no. 4 ? should stay in the hull -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Cockpits are really quite tough. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Reminds me of a story... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         I remember that one - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Yup. - (inthane-chan)
                         We had "the chicken guy" - (Andrew Grygus)

They're the very devil to clean out of the radiator.
179 ms