IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You do realize...
... that this is going to be the mantra for any proposal to restrict any kind of liberty in the US?

"So how do you want it? Do you want planes destroying the infrastructure of our country or will you be willing to tolerate armed security, hassles, and a 4 hour wait next time you visit the airport?"

Replace it with speech, free association, privacy, etc. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, but it's scary.

"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New I don't realize that.
I've heard some people - that I would not have expected it (I'd have expected them to have said what you are saying) - that this is an attack on our way of life, and It Must Not Be Allowed To Change Anything.

I find this heartening.

Even though, in reality, the regularion by insurance/lawyers will cause some changes - the *public* is actually saying "We ain't giving up our liberties cause of some crazies, we just need to KILL THEM".

Barbaric, but I like it.

Right now attempts to remove liberty would be faced with overwhelming opposition. Expect to see the cameras disappearing off city streets.

Addison
New YOU DO REALIZE...
That we're not safe and that our safety is only an illusion and the security an illusion also.

Even as "secure" as Israel is, a dedicated team of terrorists could storm a security checkpoint, storm a plane, kill the security officer and hijack a plane and fly it into a building in Tel Aviv. (provided they weren't shot down by an Israeli fighter plan first).

And an Islamic fundamentalist could rent a piper cub this afternoon and fly it into the TransAmerica tower in SFO.

Safety is an illusion.

We can do much more to help the situation, but in the end, we're left to rely on God's Will for our lives.

We do decide everyday, how much freedom we're willing to give up for some security checks. In air travel, I'm willing to give up a little more freedom for a lot more safety checks.
Glen Austin
New Re: YOU DO REALIZE...
but in the end, we're left to rely on God's Will for our lives.

You can put your faith in god.

I'd far prefer to take Colt and H&K, thank you verra much.

No smiley, I'm very serious about that.

Addison
New actually both is better than one
why did god give us a talleywhacker and a trigger finger if he didnt want us to use them?
Randy Wayne White
New Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder
is a very Baptist understanding of life. :)

- Edward Young
New YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING
BECAUSE I WAS REALLY AFRAID I WASN'T GOING TO GET YOUR POINT THE FIRST TIME.

MAYBE YOU COULD REPEAT IT A FEW MORE TIMES JUST IN CASE I MISSED IT NOW.

- Edward Young
New Something like that has happened once before
You mention about a terrorist "renting a Piper Cub" and crashing it into a target. Something like that happened in Charleston, SC some years ago. One of the men at the Navy base went through a emotional break-up with his girlfriend and it affected him tremendously. He was also a licensed pilot. So he rented a single engine plane, took it up several thousand feet, then did a full throttle swan dive into one of the giant above ground fuel tanks on the base. Fortunately, the only fatality was him. Charleston's mayor demanded that the Navy prevent this from ever occuring again. The Navy responded by creating some type of air defense team for the base. Several years ago this was the only Navy base in the country that had its "own air force".

I heard about this from my brother-in-law when I visited him several years ago when he was stationed there. I'm going to hit Google to see if I can track this down.
BConnors
"Prepare for metamorphosis. Ready, Kafka?"
     A simple question nobody seems to ask - (Andrew Grygus) - (73)
         Up to now... - (Simon_Jester) - (2)
             Tasers might be a good idea. -NT - (admin) - (1)
                 Still useful to the wrong people... - (addison)
         Gong! - (gdaustin) - (15)
             I agree with your assessment... - (Simon_Jester) - (3)
                 Odd random thought - (drewk) - (1)
                     Luggage Laptops - (gdaustin)
                 Passenger planes - (Steven A S)
             You do realize... - (cwbrenn) - (7)
                 I don't realize that. - (addison)
                 YOU DO REALIZE... - (gdaustin) - (5)
                     Re: YOU DO REALIZE... - (addison) - (2)
                         actually both is better than one -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                             Praise the Lord and Pass the Powder - (cwbrenn)
                     YES I REALIZE THAT, THANKS FOR SHOUTING - (cwbrenn)
                     Something like that has happened once before - (bconnors)
             One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Ashton) - (2)
                 Re: One answer: no carry-on; fly nude (G-strings). - (Steven A S) - (1)
                     Understood: free night-shades supplied on request_____:-\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
         Asked and answered many times. - (addison) - (42)
             Why do the cockpits have to be accessible from the cabin? - (mmoffitt) - (41)
                 Lots of reasons. - (addison) - (40)
                     Most of that could be fixed. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Fixing is relative. - (addison) - (5)
                             Better a relative fix than an absolute abdication. - (marlowe) - (4)
                                 Don't have airplanes. Then they can't crash. -NT - (addison) - (3)
                                     A slightly more moderate version. - (marlowe) - (2)
                                         I'm glad you've decided to moderate some. - (addison) - (1)
                                             Concur on time. Ban everything except GA ;-) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     Lots of solutions - (marlowe) - (32)
                         There's *no* "justs" here. - (addison) - (31)
                             Seven to ten years? - (marlowe) - (1)
                                 Yep. - (addison)
                             OT: Kneejerk - (mmoffitt) - (12)
                                 Not given the emergency. - (addison) - (11)
                                     It is weird. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         Not really. - (addison) - (9)
                                             most arrests too... - (Simon_Jester)
                                             So, what do we do? - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                 No. - (addison) - (6)
                                                     You know something I don't? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                                                         Just the NOTAM. - (addison) - (4)
                                                             Can you imagine the NOTAMs that'll be out shortly? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                                                 That's not that unusual. - (addison) - (2)
                                                                     I know what flight following is. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                         OK - (addison)
                             Here's a question for you. - (marlowe) - (15)
                                 The answer is: - (addison) - (14)
                                     I blithely ignore nothing. Shame on you. - (marlowe) - (13)
                                         Emotions gentlemen.... - (Simon_Jester) - (1)
                                             But this is part of the problem. - (marlowe)
                                         There's no shame attached to me. - (addison) - (10)
                                             That's harsh. - (mmoffitt) - (9)
                                                 It should be. - (addison) - (8)
                                                     Had to reread my posts. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                                                         Nobody's saying it's easy. - (marlowe) - (6)
                                                             You did. - (addison) - (5)
                                                                 The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                                     Doesn't change my point.... - (addison)
                                                                     Re: The WTC survived the crashes just fine. - (wharris2)
                                                                 All right. Maybe not so much words in my mouth as... - (marlowe) - (1)
                                                                     Not as bad as - (addison)
         A few idiots with box openers who claimed to have a bomb... - (inthane-chan)
         They probably never would have got a chance to use it. - (tuberculosis) - (2)
             Re squawk, this time. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 Too much uncertain. - (mmoffitt)
         2 words... - (bepatient) - (6)
             double barreled no. 4 ? should stay in the hull -NT - (boxley) - (5)
                 Cockpits are really quite tough. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                     Reminds me of a story... - (inthane-chan) - (3)
                         I remember that one - (wharris2) - (1)
                             Yup. - (inthane-chan)
                         We had "the chicken guy" - (Andrew Grygus)

Sorry about the mass of technical details.
144 ms