Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New well, it hasn't taken much effort to screw this up
but it's taking more effort than I can muster to fix it. :P
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Who knows
how much effort it took Mandrake's developers/packagers/testers to make 8.0 the... uh... product it is today!

I know that if 8.0 was my first experience with them, it would take a lot of convincing to get me to try thier distro again.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Yeah.
I actually think that 7.2 was probably the best version of Mandrake I've ever used. Wish I could find those CDs... although, 8.0 and I seem to have come to a truce, so I'm sorta afraid to bother it, you know? :)
"We are all born originals -- why is it so many of us die copies?"
- Edward Young
New Aye.

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New What causes most of the problems with Linux distros...
Is the fact that they offer so many different ways to do things. My concern in this case is that you used the tinyfirewall configuration first, then tried to alter the firewall with Bastille-firewall. I found when setting up my firewall that different config tools set up thier firewall configurations in different files. This could cause more problems than it solves.

There is a Xwindows program in Mandrake 8.0 that sets up network connection sharing (it's part of the suite of config tools that you find on the desktop) I use this to get the basic setup (which includes setting up a basic firewall) then I just tweek the script file it creates to get the results I want. It takes some delving into IPTABLES, but I think it's worth it to KNOW what you are blocking.

I'd give you more detail, but I'm still waiting for my server (as well as my furnature and most of my conforts of home) to get to my new location.
~~~)-Steven----
New Actually
If you ask Karsten, what causes most of the problems with Linux distros is that they're not Debian...

*rimshot*

<pedant/>
(It's never, ever "XWindows" - it's "X" or "The X Window System" - man X for more details)
--
Peter
Shill For Hire
New That's *not* true

Most GNU/Linux distributions provide an excellent starting point from which to install, and appreciate, Debian. They're not completely worthless.

Edit: typo

--
Karsten M. Self [link|mailto:kmself@ix.netcom.com|kmself@ix.netcom.com]

What part of "gestalt" don't you understand?
Expand Edited by kmself May 12, 2003, 01:42:09 AM EDT
     Various reasons why I hate Linux - (cwbrenn) - (21)
         iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiicccccccccccccccccccc.................... -NT - (imric)
         A much clearer explanation - (cwbrenn) - (19)
             oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. - (imric)
             Hate to say it, but.. Y'know what this is like? - (Ashton) - (8)
                 Nah. - (imric) - (7)
                     well, it hasn't taken much effort to screw this up - (cwbrenn) - (6)
                         Who knows - (imric) - (2)
                             Yeah. - (cwbrenn) - (1)
                                 Aye. -NT - (imric)
                         What causes most of the problems with Linux distros... - (Steven A S) - (2)
                             Actually - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                 That's *not* true - (kmself)
             Re: A much clearer explanation - (deSitter) - (8)
                 Whoa. Where did you find this thread? - (cwbrenn) - (2)
                     Post 8118 was edited - (SpiceWare) - (1)
                         So, is anal-compulsive... - (kmself)
                 As opposed to Windows?!?!? - (Another Scott) - (4)
                     Very True - (deSitter) - (3)
                         Answers - (Another Scott) - (2)
                             Make an LMHOSTS file - (deSitter) - (1)
                                 It's just a TCP/IP issue. - (Another Scott)

'ow do you know 'e's a king?
68 ms