IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I would not touch arch with a 10' pole
All that I know about it is that it was founded by Tom Lord, and I have seen far too much of his utopian fantasies on the free software business list. Judging from his behaviour there I conclude that as long as he is involved it will likely be long on goals, short on actual work, and I won't want to trust the responsiveness of the core developer(s).

This may be unfair, I acknowledge that, but it happens to be how I feel. It is possible that the lead developer can be an utter moron about all technical issues that I have seen him discuss but have a brilliant implementation. However the odds of it are low enough that I am not worrying about it.

Cheers,
Ben
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
New Re: I would not touch arch with a 10' pole
Ben wrote:

All that I know about it is that it was founded by Tom Lord, and I have seen far too much of his utopian fantasies on the free software business list. Judging from his behaviour there I conclude that as long as he is involved it will likely be long on goals, short on actual work, and I won't want to trust the responsiveness of the core developer(s).

He's severely flaky, all right. For good or for bad (short-term bad, long-term good, in my view), he also has completely bowed out of Arch development, and closed his site completely. This has lead in the short term to disorganisation among remaining developers, and there seem to be two successor sites that may either result in forking or not. (I don't know much about that.) The other problem is that the current implementation depends on some shell scripts, rendering it difficult to be fully cross-platform. (Should be redone in Perl.)

Rick Moen
rick@linuxmafia.com

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Mr. Bad fan club
tilly wrote:

This may be unfair, I acknowledge that, but it happens to be how I feel.

As mentioned earlier, I feel similarly about Tom Lord (although software projects need to stand and fall by their own merit, doubly so projects their creators have orphaned). But, relevant to that, here's a [link|http://lists.fifthvision.net/pipermail/arch-users/2003-January/023238.html|post] on the arch-users@lists.fifthvision.net mailing list by Evan ("Mr. Bad") Prodromou. I figure you'll get a kick out of it:

Subject: svn
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 18:38:05 -0800

>>>>> "TL" == Tom Lord <lord@regexps.com> writes:

TL> Walter made false statements and used them to attack my
TL> professionalism. That's a big deal, in my book.

So, Tom: you're talking to the list of people who picked up the slack
when you cancelled your work on arch, closed all your mailing lists
and Web sites, and announced fairly vociferously that unless company
A, B, or C paid you -- what, N million dollars? -- you weren't going
to touch arch again.

I have probably about 100 emails in my (other) arch-users folder that
are increasingly shrill and, hey, let's be honest, completely
freaked-out nutso, written from you to the heads of companies A, B,
and C, which you thoughtfully cc'd to the arch-users list. I don't
think anyone who's read that stuff has any question about your
professionalism; you sound like the kind of employee I would show
directly to the door, and tell security to keep out of the building.

I don't know you personally, but I think you've done some interesting
work, and I think arch is a great piece of software. But good hacking
and good leadership are two different things. And right now, your
leadership grades are in the toilet.

And, y'know, you can't yell people into respecting you. The very fact
that your personality and programming style are a subject of debate on
this list is a good sign that you're not showing leadership. Maybe you
need to start walking the leadership walk instead of bitching at
Walter.

~Mr. Bad

--
X-Email: mr.bad@pigdog.org
X-Jabber: MisterBad@pighaven.org
X-Pigdog-Journal: [link|http://www.pigdog.org/|http://www.pigdog.org/]
X-Quote: "I may not have class, but I have style." -- Miss Conduct

If you lived here, you'd be $HOME already.
New Why doesn't this surprise me? :-/
"good ideas and bad code build communities, the other three combinations do not"
- [link|http://archives.real-time.com/pipermail/cocoon-devel/2000-October/003023.html|Stefano Mazzocchi]
     Major CVS security hole - (admin) - (35)
         Red Hat (at least RH8.0) had CVS fix yesterday. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Now who has the job of crawling thru the codebase? - (boxley) - (25)
             Re: Now who has the job of crawling thru the codebase? - (rickmoen) - (24)
                 Subversion is not ready yet - (tuberculosis) - (23)
                     Suffer with CVS as long as you like - (rickmoen) - (22)
                         You mean need - (tuberculosis) - (17)
                             Re: You mean need - (rickmoen) - (16)
                                 Re: You mean need - (tuberculosis) - (14)
                                     Re: You mean need - (rickmoen) - (13)
                                         ObMyDickIsBiggerThanYours -NT - (Yendor) - (12)
                                             Re: ObMyDickIsBiggerThanYours - (rickmoen) - (11)
                                                 What would I do? - (Yendor) - (6)
                                                     no its not its Zlife :-) -NT - (boxley)
                                                     Re: What would I do? - (rickmoen) - (4)
                                                         Difference of opinion == intellectual dishonesty? - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                             Wow better than hockey -NT - (deSitter) - (2)
                                                                 I went to the fights the other night... - (ChrisR) - (1)
                                                                     ROFL! -NT - (Silverlock)
                                                 You ought to reread the thread - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                                                     lrpadism of the year nominee - (drewk)
                                                     Re: You ought to reread the thread - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                                         Your post is off topic and should have been moved to... (new thread) - (tuberculosis)
                                 Re: You mean need - (deSitter)
                         I would not touch arch with a 10' pole - (ben_tilly) - (3)
                             Re: I would not touch arch with a 10' pole - (rickmoen)
                             Mr. Bad fan club - (rickmoen) - (1)
                                 Why doesn't this surprise me? :-/ -NT - (ben_tilly)
         It's official: UNIX sucks just like Windows - (deSitter) - (7)
             "Trowelled". -NT - (pwhysall) - (2)
                 Allowed - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Yes... but... - (folkert)
             Its the services - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                 Have to disagree - (deSitter) - (1)
                     Uh... yep... - (folkert)
             OK, get on that and get back to us. -NT - (tseliot)

This country was built on the hope that one day we could all own a Batcave.
70 ms