IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Agreed, esp systems stuff.
I've noticed a 2 tier value system for programmers.

Code monkees know a language and may be expert in it, but they lack an understanding of the environment in which it runs.

So they make insane assumptions about the performance, network lag time, nfs disk availability, file size restrictions, permission issue, database dependencies, uptime requirements, etc, etc, etc. They code in
a perfect world, and try to run in the real world.

No matter how good they are in their given language, lack of awareness of the tools and environmnet kills them. Make them look like idiots.

Even worse, since they DO know a large amount about the specific language, they tend to ponticifate about it. They initially seem bright to management, which then give them some trust. They blow the project and then go into hiding while someone else reimplements in a tenth of the time. Career killer when you screw your boss.

A C programmer that spends a week crafting a utility that I can do with 3 Perl scripts piped together in 10 minutes is worthless. Might has well have a profession hand tooling buggy whips.

On the other hand, a Perl programmer that knows C and lots of Unix utilities is a gold mine. They can whip out the easy Perl stuff in seconds, and hand tool the CPU intensive stuff in C as needed, and use neither when a 'cat | sort | awk' script is all that is really needed.
New That reminds me of a comment about CPAN...
A comment about the story at [link|http://use.perl.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/12/1616209|http://use.perl.org/...=02/11/12/1616209] in particular.

I forget who said it, or where, but a summary I saw said:
A large part of the reason why Perl has CPAN and other languages do not is that a lot of sysadmins use Perl. Therefore some are willing to cobble together systems to support Perl, and others are willing to donate resources to make those systems work. It is quick, it is dirty, but it is there, works, and grows.

Cheers,
Ben
"Career politicians are inherently untrustworthy; if it spends its life buzzing around the outhouse, it\ufffds probably a fly."
- [link|http://www.nationalinterest.org/issues/58/Mead.html|Walter Mead]
New What about wrench monkeys?
This week...let's see, getting our combined C++/VB/Python system to blow cold air.

Then, today, start off with replacing a crappy French worm gear rotary stage with a US direct drive rotary stage. At least the ME did an excellent job -- everything fit together perfectly.

Now, I'm figuring out how to wire the stage in electrically with the least hassle. Then, when that's done, I have to get the motion controller and overall software configured properly for the new motor.

Hopefully, we'll be hiring another software developer in Q1, but it'll be someone who can learn rapidly on the job and whose idea of a system knowledge includes mechanical & electrical systems.

Tony
     Our CEO resigned today - (Arkadiy) - (18)
         oh man, well start looking now - (boxley) - (9)
             Have been on the prowl since June... - (Arkadiy) - (8)
                 How in the hell - (lincoln) - (7)
                     apt-get install technical-knowledge - (kmself) - (6)
                         It seems to me that you're advocating - (lincoln) - (5)
                             RE OJT - (tuberculosis)
                             Programming, Systems, Network: seperate worlds? - (kmself) - (3)
                                 Agreed, esp systems stuff. - (broomberg) - (2)
                                     That reminds me of a comment about CPAN... - (ben_tilly)
                                     What about wrench monkeys? - (tonytib)
         Dust off the resume. - (Yendor) - (7)
             Hey, my immediate coworkers - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                 Use that flaw to your advantage. :) - (Yendor)
             Send it to broom.... - (bepatient) - (4)
                 Don't think so... - (Arkadiy) - (3)
                     Hmm. No resume - (broomberg) - (2)
                         Re: Hmm. No resume - (Arkadiy) - (1)
                             A typo: C+ should be C or C++. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

We can probably skip drugs and prostitution, but the mortgage business looks good.
47 ms