IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Same company, new job
The only problem is, I don't know if I want it. We used to be a small, successful privately held company. Through various acquisitions and mergers over the past couple years, we are now owned by a mutlinational conglomerate. I took the job here in part because I was tired of the big corp politics and backbiting. Basically, I took a cut in pay for a simpler lifestyle and less pressure.

Because our portion of the merged company has been profitable since inception, we are going to move many operations and people from the unprofitable side to our location. Part of that process will require expanding support staff and putting a new layer of management in place

I have been informed (without applying for it) that I am one of two candidates for a new position here. The atmosphere here is still much the same but the new position is as a manager in the new layer. Maybe 70% management and 30% hands on type work. I would be managing the internal support and desktop apps/operations.

With more money comes more responsibility and more headaches. Reports, budgeting hassles, hiring and firing. I think I could handle the job here (I know I can do the job), but I feel some concern over possibly ending up in a pressure cooker again.

Gosh what dilemma. If only all of lifes little problems were so difficult. Do I want to make (a lot) more money and live on aspirin or relax and stay (relativly) poor yet healthy. (/sarcasm)

I have to decide before the week is over if I want the job, and then will have to go through the application and interview process again (with the same people who hired me for my current job).

Any advice will be read, but mostly I am just blowing off steam trying to get my head straight so I can make this decsion.
Don Richards is using this sig. Hands off!
New Advice I've been given
One thing to watch out for by becoming management, is that it's harder to find work later on as a manager than as a technician or as a developer.

There are fewer management positions in the world than technical positions.

Odds are that 30% hands-on is optimistic. It's easy to become out-of-date as a manager and if things get bad it can be more difficult to find a new job.

YMMV.

Darryl Peterson

I'm not as funny as I think I am.
New 30% technical is enough to keep skills
up to date, usually. But is that 30% a good estimate? In nay case, you will be measured on your management skills. Is that OK with you? You will be "between a rock and a hard place". Will you sleep nights?

Things to think about.
Alex
New The skill set is there
I'm don't have any concerns over being able to do the job. I just worry about finding that I don't like it one day. That is what happened in my last position and I don't want to see that again. The thing is, this company is much more low key than any place I have ever been as a tech guy. During my interview, the guy wearing the shorts, sandals and Spiderman t-shirt turned out to be my immediate boss and the guy wearing the jeans was his boss. I haven't even seen one of my ties in a year. I'm actually trying to get invited to a formal occasion just so I can see if any of my suits still fit me.
Don Richards is using this sig. Hands off!
New I feel your pain
I would much rather deal with upgrades of Perl or just finding bugs than be a manager.. I'd rather program Apache modules (something of which I've done nothing to date). Program SQL grammars. Try to fix someone's miserable ODBC drivers. Fix bugs.

Manage? (runs screaming into the night)
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
New If nominated I refuse to run ...
I turned it down. Tactfully. Once I did that, my boss told me of another position that's more of a lateral move. System imaging, library and distribution thingie. More money (not as much as the manager job, but not as much crap either), more flexible schedule and more autonomy. I would be in charge of all system image builds and determine company standards for every end user pc. Direct report to the company operations manager, and no one reporting to me (yet).

P. S. anyone know where I got the stobor nickname from? I dropped it just because.
Sigs? Sigs? We don' need no steenken sigs!
New Stobor?
Isn't that just Robots backwards?
"I can see if I want anything done right around here, I'll have to do it myself!"Moe Howard
New Spelling wise, yes. Not where I got it though.
New Generic monster name in a Heinlein book?
They dumped kids on an unsettled planet for training purposes, and warned them about stobor. They assumed that there would be *something* nasty that the kids would run into. "Tunnel in the sky" sticks in my mind, but I'm not sure...

Regards,
Hugh
New Bingo!
I thought that was a neat story. A little to simplistic for me now, but quite enjoyable when I was in sixth grade.
New Heh. My nick on eBay is
fairwitness. No [-]s yet - and some recognize the allusion, too - more women than men (!)

Yup - in our ethically-challenged snake pit - what Murica needs more than a few more $T is, just a few fairwitnesses. Everywhere.

Ashton
     Same company, new job - (stobor) - (10)
         Advice I've been given - (dpeterson)
         30% technical is enough to keep skills - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             The skill set is there - (stobor)
         I feel your pain - (wharris2) - (6)
             If nominated I refuse to run ... - (DonRichards) - (5)
                 Stobor? - (orion) - (4)
                     Spelling wise, yes. Not where I got it though. -NT - (DonRichards) - (3)
                         Generic monster name in a Heinlein book? - (hnick) - (2)
                             Bingo! - (DonRichards) - (1)
                                 Heh. My nick on eBay is - (Ashton)

Do you plan to call me on your camera next?
86 ms