IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I don't think so.
True, the politicians are in it for the votes.

A plague of patriotism infected this statehouse and they decided to send a message to the voters.
That's my point. Why was this NEEDED?

Not why was it suggested.

You can get just about ANY law passed by claiming "it will protect the children".

This law didn't get passed with subverting the constitution as a goal. It got passed with winning votes as a goal.
Maybe not the overt goal. Maybe not even conciously. But the message is the same.

The children will be pressured to swear an oath to us (the politicians ruling this country).

We can only rely on the separation of powers that gave us a judicial branch to get this overturned, as it has overturned all previous attempts.
Yep. All previous attempts.

Yet the attempts keep coming.

Like I said, those idiots are arguing about how to get this passed.

None of them are saying WHY we need the children to recite an oath.

They're looking at how to get it passed.

That provision may well allow this to stand.
Okay, this is something that is completely against my political beliefs.

That this law is even SUGGESTED without CLEARLY specifying the PROBLEM it is to address.

What PROBLEM does this law address? That some children are NOT swearing allegiance to their country every morning? That we don't have sufficient indoctrination for nationalism? That some of these children might QUESTION whether their government is right?

I thought Republicans liked keeping government out of peoples lives.
Ummm, no. They want government out of business (while keeping government there to protect business).

They are completely for monitoring and regulating your personal life.
New Damn
I got parsed. And I'm too tired to do a point by point response.

I thought my point (admittedly longwinded) was that the "opt out" provision in this bill is what makes it so objectionable. What exactly is it about this observation you are disagreeing with?
New My objection.
#1. That ANY oath is being administered to CHILDREN.

#2. The "opt-out" policy MIGHT be enough to get this passed.

#3. But, back to my original point....

WHY is #1. NECESSARY?

And THAT is the part that no one can answer.

Not "well, would you accept it with THESE restrictions?"

Not "well, it MIGHT pass the USSC with THESE restrictions".

But what SPECIFIC PROBLEM is this supposed to address?

I understand why we have speed limits.
I understand why we have laws against stealing.
I understand why we have cops.

I do NOT understand what this law will PROTECT anyone from.
     Pennsylvania passes "Pledge" bill - (Silverlock) - (61)
         Makes me even prouder of my daughter. - (mmoffitt) - (2)
             Gotta say this - (Silverlock)
             Now if that story could travel the grapevine - (Ashton)
         Nail #666013 in the Coffin. - (Ashton) - (57)
             And the previous administration? - (wharris2)
             What if they take the.. - (bepatient) - (55)
                 Just out of curiosity: Would that do it for you? -NT - (CRConrad) - (9)
                     I don't see another... - (bepatient) - (8)
                         The act of protesting - (imric) - (1)
                             I suppose that - (bepatient)
                         I'd agree 'over-reaction' if.. - (Ashton)
                         Over reaction? - (deSitter)
                         I agree - (Silverlock) - (2)
                             Sure. - (bepatient) - (1)
                                 Possibly it is more significant now because of 'conditions' - (Ashton)
                         Never mind the constitution... - (CRConrad)
                 Here's my disagreement. - (inthane-chan) - (42)
                     Precisamente, Thane - (Ashton)
                     Ditto and more. - (Brandioch) - (40)
                         Mere slothful thought + partisan Bible-thumping - I guess -NT - (Ashton) - (39)
                             I'd guess similar. - (Brandioch) - (38)
                                 Both you and Ashton are reacting to the wrong thing - (Silverlock) - (4)
                                     I don't think so. - (Brandioch) - (2)
                                         Damn - (Silverlock) - (1)
                                             My objection. - (Brandioch)
                                     Oh,...the irony... - (jb4)
                                 A shameless barter.. - (Ashton) - (32)
                                     You got it. - (Brandioch) - (31)
                                         Tell ya what I find rilly *discouraging* about this thread - (Ashton) - (30)
                                             Ashton, are you arguing against automatic citizenship? - (wharris2) - (11)
                                                 Ah, the traditional response. - (Brandioch)
                                                 Believe in being as honest with my gov as they are with me\ufffd -NT - (Ashton)
                                                 where in the hell do you pledge alegiance to "someone"? - (boxley) - (8)
                                                     What is the pledge? - (wharris2) - (7)
                                                         Sorry my constitution doesnt deport citizens - (boxley)
                                                         Why thats simple... - (bepatient) - (5)
                                                             React early - or watch attention span wane via next Warz ads -NT - (Ashton)
                                                             Re: Why thats simple... - (wharris2) - (3)
                                                                 that was the Roman model - (boxley) - (2)
                                                                     Never had the option, here - (wharris2) - (1)
                                                                         that is the problem with military service being a prereq - (boxley)
                                             Because those oaths have worked. - (Brandioch) - (17)
                                                 nit when did we ever breed for intelligence after slavery - (boxley) - (16)
                                                     Many years ago. - (Brandioch) - (15)
                                                         The link was broken way before that - (mhuber) - (14)
                                                             Even more basic - - (Ashton)
                                                             Evolution. - (Another Scott)
                                                             You can't be serious, can you? - (Arkadiy) - (4)
                                                                 100% serious. - (mhuber) - (3)
                                                                     In that huge span - (Arkadiy) - (2)
                                                                         What advance in capabilities? - (mhuber) - (1)
                                                                             You're mixing 2 discussions here... - (Arkadiy)
                                                             Can't find a reference right now... - (ben_tilly) - (6)
                                                                 are you implying meateaters are smarter - (boxley) - (5)
                                                                     Neither - (ben_tilly) - (4)
                                                                         Gould questioned that - (JayMehaffey) - (3)
                                                                             If he wrote about it... - (ben_tilly) - (2)
                                                                                 Overstated the case - (JayMehaffey) - (1)
                                                                                     That fits my recollection as well :-) -NT - (ben_tilly)
                 Basically, No - (jb4) - (1)
                     Yes - free speech is also the right to remain silent. -NT - (Ashton)

I would never pay to play something like this.
81 ms