IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Unusual behavior of Win2K when Linux partition added

I have P4 based system with 40GB & 60GB disks. a Year ago I had installed WinMe on C disk, Win2K on D disk & Linux Redhat on the 2nd half of the 2nd disk & use GRUB as the bootloader. This all worked great until last month when I decided to upgrade to RedHat 8

Having got RH8 in, my Win2K takes a very long time between the 1st startup screen (that shows a small window re establish network conn etc:) and the final started up screen.

If I delete RH off the 2nd disk (turn the partition to free space) Win2K starts quickly, if I put RH back the slow start resumes. It is as if Windows is analysing the Linux partition ???.

This behavior will happen no matter if I use GRUB or revert to std Win boot MBR.

Anyone got any clues ???

Cheers

Doug Marker
New Partition marking?
This tickles a memory of W2K trying to understand all the partitions it can see. Though I don't know why the older Linux partition wasn't causing this effect. I think there's something in W2K's disk administrator which could control something like this.

Hmm. Doesn't RH8 default to ext3? What happens if it's an ext2 partition?

Wade.

"Ah. One of the difficult questions."

New Re: That may be it

I am using the new format filesystem. Will try it with ext2

Cheers

Doug

(At one point I was getting a message about a partition needing checking but that went after another reinstall.
New Re: ext2 didn't help

Still takes 2.5 mins after 1st start-up window & when the icons all appear.

Very odd.

Doug Marker
     Unusual behavior of Win2K when Linux partition added - (dmarker) - (3)
         Partition marking? - (static) - (2)
             Re: That may be it - (dmarker)
             Re: ext2 didn't help - (dmarker)

*plonk*
41 ms