IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Besides, XML is a framework
If whatever Word/Excel/Office lookalike doesn't know what "msoft_format_special" is (just picking something out of the air), it should still be able to parse the XML, it just won't be able to do whatever "msoft_format_special" is trying to tell it to do.
New msoft_format_special
parses the binary data that actually composes the document. Compressed/encrypted/proprietary formatting language, it doesn't matter. XML doesn't guarantee that the data is actually text and readable, does it?

Imric's Tips for Living
  • Paranoia Is a Survival Trait
  • Pessimists are never disappointed - but sometimes, if they are very lucky, they can be pleasantly surprised...
  • Even though everyone is out to get you, it doesn't matter unless you let them win.
New Re: msoft_format_special
IIRC (If I Read Correctly) XML guarantees that it's text, but doesn't guarantee readibility. So... they could encrypt the data in the fields and make it legitimate XML while still garnering protection via anti-circumventing laws, like the DMCA. This would in fact close the format even more than it currently is... clean room reverse engineering of binary data formats is perfectly allowable under the law, but reverse engineering encryption of data is not... cf. Skylarov, DeCSS.
--\r\n-------------------------------------------------------------------\r\n* Jack Troughton                            jake at consultron.ca *\r\n* [link|http://consultron.ca|http://consultron.ca]                   [link|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca|irc://irc.ecomstation.ca] *\r\n* Laval Qu\ufffdbec Canada                   [link|news://news.consultron.ca|news://news.consultron.ca] *\r\n-------------------------------------------------------------------
New No guarantee at all
IIRC (If I Read Correctly) XML guarantees that it's text, but doesn't guarantee readibility.
Not at all. XML just describes the structure for formatting tags, and allows linking to an external DTD that defines the contents and parameters of the tags. It basically allows you to define a custom markup language.

It is perfectly legal in XML for one of the tags to define binary data. This is required for images, but can easily be used for arbitrary binary streams. ie: ActiveX controls, Java applets, compressed/encrypted text, etc.
===
Microsoft offers them the one thing most business people will pay any price for - the ability to say "we had no choice - everyone's doing it that way." -- [link|http://z.iwethey.org/forums/render/content/show?contentid=38978|Andrew Grygus]
New Well, hold on there a second...
If I were to get something that told me it was XML, I (per your statement) could legally assume it's text. I could then legally reverse engineer that text. That it's encrypted is hardly an issue...unless Microsoft specifically claims it's encrypted, so as to invoke whatever shell of DMCA it might to protect its monopoly. And they wouldn't do that (IMnsHO), because it would be "bad press". (I can see the headlines now in the Chicago Sun-Times: "Microsoft Admits Scrambling Your Data." "Your Letters to Mom Encoded so Only Microsoft Can Read Them." Might actually be fun....)
jb4
"About the use of language: it is impossible to sharpen a pencil with a blunt axe. It is equally vain to try to do it with ten blunt axes instead. "
-- Edsger W.Dijkstra (1930 - 2002)
(I wish more managers knew that...)
New Reading some of the other comments,
So it is special, but it isn't special? Heehee.
     MS Office 11 to have XML document format - (admin) - (26)
         This is getting too easy - (drewk) - (10)
             Re: This is getting too easy - (admin) - (1)
                 Like I said, strictly an import filter - (drewk)
             Last I heard, - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 Just curious... - (inthane-chan)
             Besides, XML is a framework - (wharris2) - (5)
                 msoft_format_special - (imric) - (4)
                     Re: msoft_format_special - (jake123) - (2)
                         No guarantee at all - (drewk)
                         Well, hold on there a second... - (jb4)
                     Reading some of the other comments, - (wharris2)
         Ugh - die XML, die! -NT - (deSitter) - (1)
             Seconded. -NT - (mmoffitt)
         Don't trust published MS formats - (warmachine) - (12)
             Trial and error? Try VB database access sometime - (wharris2) - (11)
                 If you use DAO, you deserve what you get. - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                     Re: If you use DAO, you deserve what you get. - (wharris2) - (9)
                         Stumped me. - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                             Something about bound controls? - (wharris2) - (7)
                                 OMG! The "Data Control". - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                     Chuckle - (wharris2)
                                     Clarification/emphasis needed: - (CRConrad) - (4)
                                         Hmmmm... - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                             Even better than that! - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                                 Devil's Advocate. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                     Topsy-turvy upside-down argumentation from MikeM (new thread) - (CRConrad)

I have, if not a full ink, at least an inkling.
126 ms