IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Pet peeves
Operator overloading in C++.

Idiots writing C++ code that doesn't properly take care of memory (you know, blah = new blahclass without delete blah)

Undocumented sources - not the source itself (although people who write code without a single comment are hurting themselves and others), but where the code came from, if anywhere. Combine that with making your own code unattributable by not providing a minimal header.

Re-inventing the wheel, when there are several types of wheels out there to pick from. OK, OK, it isn't always possible to reuse code and sometimes actually harmful, but it would be just plain stupid to write a string class from scratch in C++. Even if you don't want the templatized standard library string, there are many implementations to choose from.

Most of these are C++ examples, because I've been working on a library that exhibits many of these features.
The first time I encountered setjmp() was in an Amiga program ported from Unix. "Hmm, what's setjmp()?" I said, pulling up the man page. I read the man page. "*GASP* GLARGGGPPPHHTT!!! ARGHJKLKJ#@%!^&^U!" I exclaimed, and rolled my chair over backwards as I fainted.
New Well, if you just want to list those
I'll wrap the whole thing up in "People who use C++ to write application code".

Done.

setjump is a perfectly good routine. Its used for exception handling in Objective C and it works OK. It just happens to break what C++ crowd is pleased to call their "runtime architecture".
New I don't care what the C++ crowd calls it
Setjmp is a miserable solution to a built-in language problem - this is from a C perspective. C programs also use it for exception handling, though probably much less coherently than Objective C. I don't think I've ever seen a C++ program use it.
The first time I encountered setjmp() was in an Amiga program ported from
Unix. "Hmm, what's setjmp()?" I said, pulling up the man page. I read the man
page. "*GASP* GLARGGGPPPHHTT!!! ARGHJKLKJ#@%!^&^U!" I exclaimed, and rolled my
chair over backwards as I fainted.
New Argh!
Operator overloading in C++ is one of the few things about it that's any good. It's very useful in numerical work.
New Well hang in there
because its coming to Java I think. Although, if they make the same compromises they made with the Generic extensions (templates), its going to be horribly inefficient for numerics work.
New Two uses
Complex numbers and strings.

Can't think of any other reasonable uses. To have a language specification that builds an item on two rare uses is crazy.
French Zombies are zapping me with lasers!
     I've decided to write it all down - (tuberculosis) - (19)
         I get an error - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Doh! This one - (tuberculosis)
         Pet peeves - (wharris2) - (5)
             Well, if you just want to list those - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                 I don't care what the C++ crowd calls it - (wharris2)
             Argh! - (deSitter) - (2)
                 Well hang in there - (tuberculosis)
                 Two uses - (wharris2)
         "Boy, what a lot of typing that was!" - (a6l6e6x) - (2)
             Re: "Boy, what a lot of typing that was!" - (wharris2) - (1)
                 Thats a good point - (tuberculosis)
         Nice rants. - (static)
         Re: I've decided to write it all down - (neelk) - (4)
             I've read the previously posted rant - (tuberculosis) - (3)
                 Just a guess - (Fearless Freep) - (2)
                     Then its misnamed - (tuberculosis) - (1)
                         Re: Then its misnamed - (neelk)
         Posted a link... - (ChrisR) - (1)
             Thanks - (tuberculosis)

Is this how you were? Because I said, "As you were," and I don't think this is how you were.
79 ms