IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Any thoughts on the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000?
Hi Doug,

You seem to have tried just about every neat hand-held electronic device out there. :-)

I was at a meeting with someone who had a small Fujitsu Lifebook. I think it was a [link|http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2|P2000]. I don't know if it was the 30 GB version with 802.11b, but it seemed like a very capable machine. The owner used it for a Powerpoint viewgraph presentation.

It seems quite comparable to the U1, but has a larger screen, has (the option of) a 30 GB drive, and it comes standard with a CD-RW/DVD drive. The Fujitsu lists at $1699 with 30 GB (in the US). It weighs 3.4 pounds. The Sony has FireWire and Memory Stick interfaces that the Fujitsu doesn't, as expected, but with networking I don't think that's a terrible limitation (at least if it's used on a network with those ports available.)

The latches on the Fujitsu did seem to be quite dainty, so I don't know how resistant it is to real-world handling.

I'd be interested in your take. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - Yup

My other choice - reason for the outright enthusiasm for the PCG-U1 is that it is so durned small (2.5 times a CLIE PDA) and I want total portability, lifebook is still too heavy & I don't need CD rom (can plug into USB if needed).

I now use memorystick/SD cdard/CF card for data txfr between computers (PCG-U1 has memstick native, the others are thru PCMCIA cards that accept SD & CF). Also, I can either attach a CDROM thru the built-in network in PCG-U1, or I can copy CDROM to CF (have a 256mb one & can go to 512 & 1 GB CF cards now).

Lifebook is a very good unit but PCG-U1 has the near perfect combination of size, weight & features.

Cheers - Doug

PS my reason for keeping on top of all these devices is that my job as Principal Technical Architect requires that I know their capabilities - esp strengths & weaknesses)
New Re: Am hearing rumours that sony vaio line

is about to be replaced with new generation models. If true then I suspect the PCG-U1 has been a prototype & may be indicative of what to expect.

Anyone else able to track down any info?

Doug M
     Yea!!! Today I did it & it 'rocks' - (dmarker2) - (17)
         Yes... Please tell me... - (folkert) - (15)
             Doug is in Hong Kong. Pay attention! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Really? I must be lucky at Google then - (tseliot) - (13)
                 Re: Really? I must be lucky at Google then - (folkert) - (12)
                     Re: Price in HK way below the one in your link - (dmarker2) - (11)
                         Hmmmm... Very... Very... - (folkert) - (10)
                             Re: Please feel free - this unit is worth it - (dmarker2) - (9)
                                 Re: Bluetooth HELL - once again into the breech - (dmarker2) - (8)
                                     FYI... - (folkert) - (4)
                                         Re: Ultimate compliment for PCG-U1 - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                             Any thoughts on the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 Re: Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - Yup - (dmarker2)
                                                 Re: Am hearing rumours that sony vaio line - (dmarker2)
                                     Re: Bluetooth now working - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                         On PDAs... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Re: On PDAs... & Toilets & new Sony Clie model ann - (dmarker2)
         No longer needed... - (folkert)

Don't just embrace the crazy, sidle up next to it and lick its ear.
69 ms