IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Price in HK way below the one in your link
The best price I was quoted was cash 9,500HK$ (Divide by 7.8 = $US 1217). My '2nd' had unit was $HK 7,600 ($US 974).

If on credit card the price is $HK 9,800 (US 1,256).

If anyone wants me to buy one & ship it to us (shipping is about $US 20) I
will discuss. We just need to work out how to make payment - I am willing to buy the unit at this end. Ashton Brown I am sure would be willing to hold the funds & release them to me once the unit turns up (Ashton collected my Zaurus for me when I bought it). The dealers here offer to install English WinXP but I have no idea what the status of this install is - I know that on the bottom of my unit I have an official MS/Sony sticker authorizing WinXP home edition. I think what the dealer does is install the English WinXP off the next model VAIO up as my machine works perfectly & it came with lots of Sony add-ons.

If anyone is interested I would want to copy the docs (which I am sure will be in Japanese based on the Jap Clie I bought). But I can generally work my way thru them.

Cheers

Doug

dmarker@netvigator.com
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 19, 2002, 11:02:09 PM EDT
New Hmmmm... Very... Very...
Tempting...

I have a Check coming from a customer very soon fer a big amount... I just might have to wire you the $$$ or at least half to you half to Ashton...

It'd be worth it... (I believe)... be nice to have something THAT small and actually have i inside my carry book case... or even CD case for that matter...

we'll see soon.

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: Please feel free - this unit is worth it

I am the envy of my friends at the moment - this really is everything and more I had ever hoped for by way of a high powered handheld.

I saw from your link that it can go up to 384MB Ram - I will probaly add the extra 128 to mine - my Dell PIII notebook has 512MB Ram & that suits me. This little SONY seems to match my DELL (860 mkz PIII).

The screen's clarity at 1024 x 768 is stunning.

Cheers

Doug
New Re: Bluetooth HELL - once again into the breech
As mentioned in earlier posts somewhere, I have a 3Com PMCIA card & back then spent 8 hrs over 2 days trying to get the phukker installed & working on my work DELL notebook.

Well nothing has changed here I am again after 4 hrs trying to get this same convoluted complicated disasterous bit of technology working on my new SONY.

The installation is painful - you have to do 2 steps

1) Install hardware
2) Install Bluetooth Manager software

(thats just the start, then comes the 'making discoverable & pairing' exercises - On my iPAQ PDA this particular exercise was actually quite easy (it was the iPAQs config for Wi-Fi that proved painful but the iPAQ WinCE network config software is plainly horrible & vey unintuitive - on my notebooks & the Zarus PDA the Wi-Fi install & setup is a breeze but the 3COM bluetooth on notebooks using PCMCIA seems very crappy.

1st you insert the Bluetooth card & then the software does SIX device installs - com3, com4 com5 com6 com7 + Bluetooth device. You are asked to examine each one in the devices folder to see that it is working ok. Serial client, serial host, DUN client, LAN client, fax client + Bluetooth card.

Next you install the Bluetooth manager then start tearing your hair out trying to figure out what to do next. I can get the Bluetooth manager to scan & recognise my T68 phone so I can see that something is working.

You are then supposed to add a dialer and choose the 3COM Bluetooth DUN client (com5) but the create a dialer script shows it has having com4 (of course the phukker fails with a modem error when you finish & try connecting).

This is what happened to me last time before I wiped all the devices out - manually 1 by 1 - & did a re-install

This is just too damned complicated - I really can't begin to imagine how a non networking person could ever get through the proceedure.

#2 - removed all the com ports & allowed WinXP to reinstall them, this time I was able to a modem using DUN on com5 - still not commnicating with the T68 but am getting closer - now up to 6 hrs of work on it.

Cheers

Doug Marker
Expand Edited by dmarker2 Sept. 20, 2002, 07:23:55 AM EDT
New FYI...
I am talking to my CIO about sourcing these things... cause I mentioned it to him and he drooled... so did the President, President's assistant, Acconting Director and 4 of the 6 board members... plus others... Like me and another analyst.... Make a GREAT sniffer too... NIC built in and a PCMCIA NIC... wonderful...

Soooo... I may have a series of checks for you... ;) provided you deliver the GOODS man....

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- [link|http://www.iwethey.org/ed_curry/|REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!]

Your friendly Homeland Security Officer reminds:
Hold Thumbprint to Screen for 5 seconds, we'll take the imprint, or
Just continue to type on your keyboard, and we'll just sample your DNA.
New Re: Ultimate compliment for PCG-U1

MY WIFE NOW WANTS IT.

She is anti technology & can be reduced to tears trying to do some tasks - I bought her a
MAC iBook - then an IBM i-series thinkpad - she uses both (really prefers the MAC).

Both have Wi-Fi (that made such a difference to her in that she actually began surfing the net).

But after travelling with both the iBook & ThinkPad - and doing emails in various countries, she took one look at the Sony PCG-U1 & fiddle with it & now says this is what she wanted all along. (But if Apple ran on the PCG-U1 that would be paradise for her).

I am about to install virtualPC on it & instal WinNT & Win98 just to see how good this babe is - I will upgrade to 384MB though (for VPC).

Cheers

Doug Marker
(So we will buy another one shortly once money materializes & thus can establish good relationship & terms with supplier)
New Any thoughts on the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000?
Hi Doug,

You seem to have tried just about every neat hand-held electronic device out there. :-)

I was at a meeting with someone who had a small Fujitsu Lifebook. I think it was a [link|http://webshop.fujitsupc.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=P2|P2000]. I don't know if it was the 30 GB version with 802.11b, but it seemed like a very capable machine. The owner used it for a Powerpoint viewgraph presentation.

It seems quite comparable to the U1, but has a larger screen, has (the option of) a 30 GB drive, and it comes standard with a CD-RW/DVD drive. The Fujitsu lists at $1699 with 30 GB (in the US). It weighs 3.4 pounds. The Sony has FireWire and Memory Stick interfaces that the Fujitsu doesn't, as expected, but with networking I don't think that's a terrible limitation (at least if it's used on a network with those ports available.)

The latches on the Fujitsu did seem to be quite dainty, so I don't know how resistant it is to real-world handling.

I'd be interested in your take. Thanks.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - Yup

My other choice - reason for the outright enthusiasm for the PCG-U1 is that it is so durned small (2.5 times a CLIE PDA) and I want total portability, lifebook is still too heavy & I don't need CD rom (can plug into USB if needed).

I now use memorystick/SD cdard/CF card for data txfr between computers (PCG-U1 has memstick native, the others are thru PCMCIA cards that accept SD & CF). Also, I can either attach a CDROM thru the built-in network in PCG-U1, or I can copy CDROM to CF (have a 256mb one & can go to 512 & 1 GB CF cards now).

Lifebook is a very good unit but PCG-U1 has the near perfect combination of size, weight & features.

Cheers - Doug

PS my reason for keeping on top of all these devices is that my job as Principal Technical Architect requires that I know their capabilities - esp strengths & weaknesses)
New Re: Am hearing rumours that sony vaio line

is about to be replaced with new generation models. If true then I suspect the PCG-U1 has been a prototype & may be indicative of what to expect.

Anyone else able to track down any info?

Doug M
New Re: Bluetooth now working

After a weeks holiday & 2 more hours farting around this morning, I got the 3COM bluetooth device working on the SONY PCG-U1 but it only connects at 9.6 k at the moment but I have a Sony-Ericsson T68 GPRS phone & service.

Am guessing I still need to fart around plying with the speed settings at both end - my opinion thus far of bluetooth is that it is crap.

I really do like Wi-Fi when it is available. The Wi-Fi works on the PCG-U1 using PCMCIA. But, it is a bit annoying as the PCMCIA slot means the antenna part sticks out & makes it a bit irritating trying to hold the PCG-U1 and operate the mouse buttons also your hand masks the signal & lowers the effectiveness of Wi-Fi. This problem is also there with Bluetooth but the antenna is smaller & thus a bit easier to put up with.

This post is coming via bluetooth on the PCG-U1.

This device leaves using a PDA for the Internet, in the joke bucket. PDAs might be ok for email but are really useless for decent Internet access. T&hey are so bad at reading web pages that in my opinion they are wose than nothing due to the pure frustration factor.

Cheers Doug
New On PDAs...
Hi Doug,

I think I've finally learned not to put things in my shirt pocket when I have to bend over. (A couple of months ago my cell phone fell out of my shirt pocket and into a toilet I was working on. Today my Handspring Visor Platinum fell one time too many and the screen cracked. I could get a new screen for $60, but I don't want to fight with it now...)

Tonight I bought a Sony Clie' [link|http://www.sonystyle.com/micros/clie/models/sj30.html|PEG-SJ30] for $299 at MicroCenter. The SJ-30 is a color, 320x320, MemoryStick, 33 MHz Dragonball, PalmOS 4.1 device. It's charging now so I haven't actually played with it yet. :-(

I liked my Visor Platinum and it's held up pretty well. The on/off switch was seeming to get a little flaky, but otherwise it did all I asked of it. I briefly looked at the Handspring Treo 90, but the Sony has higher resolution and the form factor seems better for a pure PDA. (The Treo 90 is shaped like the Treo PDA/phone devices.)

I hemmed and hawed about getting something fancier, e.g. a Zaurus, but in the end decided that a PalmOS device was best for my needs. I'm not ready to commit to being on the bleeding-edge with a PDA wireless service like Sharp offers (with Verizon), and I really don't have time to learn a complicated new toy like the Zaurus, so a pure PDA fits me better at the moment. A small, fully-featured laptop with good battery life like the P2000 Lifebook sounds really tempting. But before I get a PC laptop I want to play with the PowerBook G4 my wife is getting for work. :-D

We'll see how it goes with the Clie'. I'll try to report back in a few days.

Thanks for all of your reports on the gadgets you've been able to play with. You're a great resource and I greatly appreciate it! :-)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Re: On PDAs... & Toilets & new Sony Clie model ann

Hmmm, bad one - re dropping things in toilets my worst experience like that was in Japan many years back & using a public squat toilet & afterwards finding my wallet had fallen out of hip pocket into the hole. Yochhh.

RE Sony Clie - my favourite PDA as it doesn't really pretend to be what it isn't like iPAQ & Zaurus tend to do as regards Internet access.

But, SONY have announced a new CLIE model these is *very* interesting in that it looks to me to be capable of swithing to Linux (SONY have been working on Linux behind the scenes).

The new CLIE is very expensive at US$599, has 2 radical new features that no other PALM device has 1) is 200mhz Intel processor & 2) is a PC Card slot for Wi-Fi. (At that price the SONY PCG-U1 is a bargain and vastly more functional.

Anyway, I am sure you made a good choice with SONY - I am convinced that that corporation will 'clean-up' in the next major Internet boom (once Bush stops war mongering & is ignominiously voted out of office to join his (ok) dad as 1-term presidents who fought wars but screwed the economy).

Cheers

Doug

Yea!!! Today I did it & it 'rocks' - (dmarker2) - (17)
         Yes... Please tell me... - (folkert) - (15)
             Doug is in Hong Kong. Pay attention! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Really? I must be lucky at Google then - (tseliot) - (13)
                 Re: Really? I must be lucky at Google then - (folkert) - (12)
                     Re: Price in HK way below the one in your link - (dmarker2) - (11)
                         Hmmmm... Very... Very... - (folkert) - (10)
                             Re: Please feel free - this unit is worth it - (dmarker2) - (9)
                                 Re: Bluetooth HELL - once again into the breech - (dmarker2) - (8)
                                     FYI... - (folkert) - (4)
                                         Re: Ultimate compliment for PCG-U1 - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                             Any thoughts on the Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - (Another Scott) - (2)
                                                 Re: Fujitsu Lifebook P2000? - Yup - (dmarker2)
                                                 Re: Am hearing rumours that sony vaio line - (dmarker2)
                                     Re: Bluetooth now working - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                         On PDAs... - (Another Scott) - (1)
                                             Re: On PDAs... & Toilets & new Sony Clie model ann - (dmarker2)
         No longer needed... - (folkert)

We've spent the past two years building up an immunity to Iocaine!
121 ms