IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: Is that all?
Well, for awhile now the box had been throwing really funky errors:

FAT bread failed.

And would just spam the screen. I couldn't find anything on what would cause that, and it didn't seem to cause any problems. So, I just continued to let it spam the screen.

Then, about 3-4 weeks ago, the box went down. I got to the console to find:

hda1: read/write failed (status: busy)

Or some such. Box frozen, this message spamming the screen every 1-3 seconds.

I reboot. Upon reboot, lo and behold, someone/something had flubbed glibc 2.2 and SSHD wouldn't start, and a few other really icky things. That's when I posted to the Linux boards here for possible solutions. No luck.

So, we flew blind for a couple of weeks until the same issue came up. At this point, I knew this was going to be a consistent problem.

We were already 2 weeks out, probably, from switching to the new server. Everything at the host is going to rack mountable boxes; the old box was a ATX minitower case, this new box is a 2U rack mount (Intel ISP somethingsomething). So, given the downtime, and the need, I went ahead and "pulled the trigger".

The new box is a dual P4-750MHz, 1 GB of RAM, 2-10GB SCSI HDs. SuSE 7.3 Professional.

The old box was a Athlon 1.4GHz, 384 MBs of RAM, 1-15 GB IDE HD (WD, btw, Tabby). Mandrake 7.2.

This new box screams comparatively.

So, installed the new box, brought it up on the network. Moved DNS (that's when everyone saw the default Apache site). Then took the old box to my house and threw it on my network at home.

Now, how to get access to the box so that Scott can work his magic with Zope/zIWT, and manage to transfer stuff off, otherwise? I'm far from being a Linux guru. I know much more then I used to, but I'm still far from guru status. I'd say I'm at "alright" status. ;)

With that in mind, I wasn't able to fix the SSHD issue or open telnet. I was floundering. So, I just decided to install VNC. Installed VNC, poked a hole in my home firewall.

All was well. 2 days later, everything was back online.

So, no great stories of flaming piles of smoking hardware. But, regardless, it was still quite a task. I'm lucky my wife was out of town for 2 weeks, as there were a few really late nights. :) And, she just *loves* that! :P

Anyways, thanks for everyone's patience. I apologize for the downtime. Hopefully this will be the last time we have to deal with that.

-Jason

----

My pid is Inigo Montoya. You "killed -9" my parent process. Prepare to vi.
New FAT bread failed
Based on [link|http://www.redhat-linux.com.my/faq/boot10.html|this] it is possible that Linux thought there was a FAT partition, tried to do a binary read, and that failed.

No idea why that would be the case for you, but at least you know that you are not alone in seeing that error message.

Cheers,
Ben
Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes.
-- Edsger Wybe Dijkstra (1930-2002)
New Interesting. Pierre is in the Charlotte (NC) LUG.
Alex

"Resort is had to ridicule when reason is against us." -- Thomas Jefferson
     FIRST! - (admin) - (29)
         SECOND! - (Yendor) - (28)
             THIRD? - (Simon_Jester) - (27)
                 LEFT! - (mmoffitt) - (26)
                     RIGHT? - (hnick) - (25)
                         ON! - (tuberculosis) - (24)
                             Carnivore, doubtless. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                             Re: ON! - (admin) - (22)
                                 Thanks! - (slugbug)
                                 Dang! - (mmoffitt)
                                 Was it something I said? - (tablizer) - (1)
                                     It was you. - (mmoffitt)
                                 Is that all? - (Andrew Grygus) - (17)
                                     Re: Is that all? - (deSitter) - (13)
                                         I think I have never met a Seagate drive . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (12)
                                             Re: I think I have never met a Seagate drive . . . - (deSitter)
                                             Re: I think I have never met a Seagate drive . . . - (pwhysall) - (10)
                                                 Bad hard drives - (orion) - (7)
                                                     Re: Bad hard drives - (pwhysall) - (6)
                                                         Mine did - (orion)
                                                         All brands fail at a fairly high rate. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                                             Re: All brands fail at a fairly high rate. - (deSitter) - (3)
                                                                 Yes, IBM is dumping hard disks - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                     *Ulp*____What a nonsequitur___ stock assessment time? -NT - (Ashton)
                                                                     Re: Yes, IBM is dumping hard disks - (deSitter)
                                                 Reminds me of an idiot... - (inthane-chan) - (1)
                                                     Similar phenomenon - (drewk)
                                     Re: Is that all? - (jlalexander) - (2)
                                         FAT bread failed - (ben_tilly) - (1)
                                             Interesting. Pierre is in the Charlotte (NC) LUG. -NT - (a6l6e6x)

_ZN4_STL4tanhERKNS_7complexIeEE has been targeted for automatic cpu dispatch.
99 ms