IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Next....
...make sure that the address that you are sending from is the service you are connected to at the time...for instance...I cannot send smtp mail through the comcast system if I am connected via an ISP account.

So...when at work and dialled into my ISP account...I have to set that account as default...when at home on comcast cable...I need to switch the smtp server to reflect the change.

You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I know
My DSL ISP account may not work because I am not using my DSL ISP (No DSL service in my Parent's Time-Share); however, the Yahoo SMTP should work just about anywhere because I am paying for it to work that way. Address.com has a POP3/SMTP service but they charge extra for it and my father still uses the web interface. So no SMTP there.

My DSL has a dialup account, but they charge extra for it, and may not have a dial-up in Branson, MO? Plus they limit access to 20 or 40 hours a month for it.

I could go with a free ISP, download their client, and pay $9.95 a month. I tried Juno and NetZero, but they don't have a free number in Branson, pay-only. Well, Juno had a free number, but I could only use it after 4am. Any other Free ISPs with a free SMTP server I can use?

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New Just...
...trying to walk through the process I would go through to troubleshoot. Sorry if it seems a little simplistic...but alot of times its the obvious that gets missed first...making simple things get complicated in a hurry.

Next I'd make sure that there is nothing blocking SMTP port assignment of 25. I'm not sure if Norton plays with that aspect of the settings or not...I don't think it does..but its worth a check.

You may end up having to reinstall dial-up networking...just trying to avoid that eventuality.
You were born...and so you're free...so Happy Birthday! Laurie Anderson

[link|mailto:bepatient@aol.com|BePatient]
New I ripped the network drivers out
That included the dial-up networking drivers. Ripped them out, rebooted, added them back in, rebooted. No difference.

I am thinking about reformatting this laptop as soon as I get back home to my LAN in my basement. I'd install Linux, but the IBM Thinkpad 560X has a NeoMagic chipset that X doesn't seem to support. Also without a CD drive, I'd have to do an FTP install or something from a floppy boot.

When I get a job, I will get me a $100USD 10G 2.5" Notebook drive for it, and then install Windows 98, Red Hat Linux 7.3, and anything else I can think of on it. Right now I only have the 2G, yes Beavis, it does suck.

Right now, no LAN, no CD, and I am stuck with a Windows 98 that has the SMTP port blocked by whatever is left of the Norton Crapware.

[link|http://games.speakeasy.net/data/files/khan.jpg|"Khan!!!" -Kirk]
New ..then I showed that POS its still beating heart!
Helpful message - System Mechanic registry cleaner.
-drl
     Laptop unable to send SMTP mail - (orion) - (19)
         Locate Mozilla and test. - (pwhysall) - (1)
             Mozilla 1.01 RC1 won't send either - (orion)
         Remove and reinstall all networking components. - (Silverlock) - (2)
             Easier said than done - (orion) - (1)
                 Found the files - (orion)
         Check the smtp server address... - (bepatient) - (13)
             Verified from the ISP's web site - (orion) - (5)
                 Next.... - (bepatient) - (4)
                     I know - (orion) - (3)
                         Just... - (bepatient) - (2)
                             I ripped the network drivers out - (orion) - (1)
                                 ..then I showed that POS its still beating heart! - (deSitter)
             download a telnet that can adjust ports - (boxley) - (6)
                 Also, OE can log the conversation with the server - (altmann)
                 I tried it - (orion) - (4)
                     yup either the ISP is blocking redirection - (boxley) - (3)
                         The trace was complete - (orion) - (2)
                             mail logs into port 25 so its being blocked by isp -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                 This appears to be true - (orion)