IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Everytime... All the time... and not only when convienient..
Glen... I would have to say I have watched the IT Industry become a "Commodity" industry. I am battling with a VP of Organizational Development that says "technical employees" are a "Dime a Dozen"... you are replaceable with cheaper people.

I say to her, you know NOT about what you say... she whips out a "executive" summary/survey showing the "unemployment" in the IT industry is ~25%. I counter and ask her to prove to me that any of the people are hireable by her and can do the same job any or all of her current staff.

She says, if not, we'll replace them.

Now... you say it is all about the bottom line... I agree even in an Educational setting.

Oh well...

I guess pride in your work is only for the artists among us...

Edit: New .sig

greg - Grand-Master Artist in IT,
curley95@attbi.com -- REMEMBER ED CURRY!!!
Expand Edited by gfolkertold Aug. 4, 2002, 12:26:19 AM EDT
New The Fast Food theory
He can be replaced with Contractors or H1B Visa Workers really fast, but replacing us with another IT employee will take some time. They have to interview them, pick with 30 a week, and find the best one for the job. For H1B Visa Workers they just let the lawyers do the work, for Contractors they just make a phone call to a Contracting Company and can get someone where same day or next day. Hiring an IT Employee will take too much of their own time.

It is that mindset in management that IT workers are a dime a dozen that is killing the IT departments out there. Good talent will walk out their door, replaced with crap-workers that do it faster and of a much lower quality. Also the mindset that they have to use 100% Microsoft technology and nothing else is killing productivity and performance.

It is IT Managers that are a dime a dozen, they have the same brainpower as a Fast Food Manager and there are a lot more of them out there. One lady was promoted to an IT Manager positoon at the lawfirm and had no idea what a database was, and her changes had caused some problems. But my manage was too much of a wimp to stand up to her. If she isn't that tech savvy, why is she managing IT people? I tend to think that she either slept to the top, or brownnosed enough managers to get pulled out of being a Legal Assistant and into becoming an IT Manager. She has no clue how to do her job and causes more problems than she solves, and blames it on other people. If she just stepped aside and let someone else take over that knew the heck what they were doing, it would have been a much better place.

I am free now, to choose my own destiny.
New What you need to tell her...
Normally a bad employee might fuck up. Then you fire them.

However a bad IT employee can get a computer to automate fuck-ups so more can get fucked up faster. Do you want to find out a week before classes start that the limit on class size wasn't implemented, and everyone thinks that they are registered for all of their first choices? How about having a key-served application install a virus on every computer on campus, at the same time?

Do you still want to risk it?

And then track down productivity studies that document factor of 100 differences in productivity between different developers.

Cheers,
Ben
"Perl is like vice grips. You can do anything with it, and it's the wrong tool for every job."
--Unknown
     Taking Pride in One's Work/Doing a Good Job - (gdaustin) - (47)
         Yep - (tuberculosis) - (30)
             So, you hate Java, eh? - (gdaustin) - (29)
                 IIRC, Todd likes ObjectiveC. -NT - (Another Scott)
                 Re: Who writes crap like this? - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                     Re: Who writes crap like this? - (deSitter)
                     Globals, write once run everywhere, whats wrong with that? - (boxley) - (1)
                         There globals and there are Globals. - (static)
                 Java - (tuberculosis) - (2)
                     Wow - (deSitter)
                     Crazy Idea - (deSitter)
                 Ob JDBC - (tuberculosis) - (14)
                     Not exposing the "structure" of the database - (gdaustin) - (13)
                         Re: Not exposing the "structure" of the database - (tuberculosis) - (12)
                             Average Crud App - (gdaustin) - (11)
                                 Not like Clipper! - (tuberculosis) - (8)
                                     I'm Amazed - (gdaustin) - (7)
                                         (Mis)Management - (tuberculosis) - (6)
                                             Re: (Mis)Management - (gdaustin)
                                             This is an easy one - (orion)
                                             Sales skills. - (static) - (1)
                                                 Yeah well there's a problem here - (tuberculosis)
                                             Fear factor - (boxley) - (1)
                                                 Yeah sort of like that - (orion)
                                 VB can create crud apps too - (orion) - (1)
                                     Wrong crud... - (admin)
                 I also hate Java ... - (bluke) - (5)
                     Re: I also hate Java ... - (deSitter)
                     Blanchard's Law - (tuberculosis)
                     Hate Java? - (wharris2) - (2)
                         I hate Java because of what it represents - (bluke)
                         I have to agree. - (tseliot)
         FWIW - not just in IT. - (Ashton)
         Heh. - (mmoffitt)
         Everytime... All the time... and not only when convienient.. - (folkert) - (2)
             The Fast Food theory - (orion)
             What you need to tell her... - (ben_tilly)
         Welcome to the real world - (orion)
         Working 60+ hours a week and not getting paid overtime - (orion) - (1)
             Norm Fix'd the title for HREF... Thx!!! -NT - (folkert)
         My career has followed the exact opposite trajectory. - (marlowe)
         I run the IT ver of a roach coach on a construction site - (boxley)
         Fix the formatting - (wharris2) - (5)
             It used to be Norm's Post with the LONGUNBREAKABLE LINE - (folkert) - (2)
                 It was the long URL - (orion) - (1)
                     You should always post links that way, anyway. -NT - (static)
             Re: Fix the formatting - (gdaustin) - (1)
                 Re: Fix the formatting - (folkert)

* "The futexes are also cursed."
* "But they come in a choice of three flavours!"
104 ms