IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 1 active user | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New The market is going through wrenching changes now.
And has been for a while. But these things go in cycles.

From CalculatedRiskBlog

Note that by this index, during the early ‘80s, homes were very unaffordable due to the very high mortgage rates. During the housing bubble, houses were also less affordable using 30-year mortgage rates, however, during the bubble, there were many “affordability products” that allowed borrowers to be qualified at the teaser rate (usually around 1%) that made houses seem more affordable.

In general, this would suggest houses are the least affordable since the housing bubble. This says nothing about if “now is a good time to buy” (see the bottom of my post Housing: A Look at "Affordability" Indexes).

Also, in January, the average 30-year mortgage rates were around 3.45%, and currently mortgage rates are close to 4.9% - so we already know the “Affordability Price Index” will increase sharply over the next couple of months (meaning houses are even less affordable).

We were fortunate to be able to buy in the late '90s and pay it off early. People in their mid-late 30s looking to buy now (or even rent now) are paying substantially more than we did and it looks to continue on that trend for a while.

:-(

Zoning changes, like (as I understand it) California did to allow/require duplex zoning on previously single-family homes areas, will help eventually. Restricting (somehow) speculators buying up all the inventory (and sometimes keeping it off the market) may help too.

Cheers,
Scott.
New I've heard it's mostly the first
Failure/refusal to build new "first" housing (smaller homes, multi-unit development, etc.) is the main problem. Speculators buying property is happening, but it's more on the margins.

Both of these are very geographically specific.
--

Drew
New By that chart, it's not that far off the '76 baseline now
"houses are the least affordable since the housing bubble" - they're much closer to the most affordable it has been since'76 than they are to the peak of the last housing bubble.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
     house market changes longish article on interest rates and home purchases - (boxley) - (12)
         Are my expectations off, or is this article? - (drook) - (11)
             she looking in the wrong place, maybe for right downtown next to the stadium - (boxley) - (4)
                 St Petersburg, actually - (drook) - (3)
                     st pete - (boxley) - (2)
                         Her job is at the south end - (drook) - (1)
                             still a lot of nice stuff much cheaper than $2300 -NT - (boxley)
             Urban property prices be crazy. - (pwhysall)
             Yeah those numbers are off for young professionals - (crazy) - (4)
                 $1800/$180K is the ratio I remember -NT - (drook)
                 The market is going through wrenching changes now. - (Another Scott) - (2)
                     I've heard it's mostly the first - (drook)
                     By that chart, it's not that far off the '76 baseline now - (malraux)

HELLO MIKE, I CONTACTING YOU ABOUT A CONSULTING OPPORTUNITY AT NIGERIA.
45 ms