IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Turkey defrosting
I've never had room in a fridge to defrost a turkey. Even with my new wonderful one it's still not big enough.

Turkeys go into coolers to defrost. Filled with cold ice water and then replenish the ice. Or so I thought.

I have a thermal imaging camera. This allows me to sweep around and get exact temperatures of anything.

I have a really cold freezer. When the ice comes out it's about -20°.

That turkey started at -20° as well. So I throw the turkey into the cooler and a frost ball surrounds the turkey as it freezes the water. Interesting.

I wait for the ice ball to defrost over a few hours and then can see the turkey and then I check the temperature the water and it's 28° according to the thermal imaging camera. I've double checked the calibration on this thing against other devices and found several agree and one that didn't so I'm trusting this.

What allows water to stay liquid at under 32°? Salt. None in here, unless there was enough on the outside of the turkey to contaminate it. That's a frozen butterball, but I guess it could have stuff on the outside.

So anyway over the next couple of days I'm monitored the temperature and when the water hits 35°, I tossed a huge chunk of ice that I made in pots and pans in the big chest freezer. It would drop the temperature down to 28 and then it would come back to 32 to 35 for about 10 hours. Then I would do it again.

I don't really like turkey. I really love the skin though. I really really love this thermal imaging camera though.

You can use it to check cooking temperatures on the stove and easily find the hot spots in the cast iron pan so you know where to drop your steak.

I've been looking around the seams of my house where the walls join the ceilings. I can identify sources of cold easily and then know exactly where to insulate. I did that with my outside door.

I used it to look for hot spots in my electrical panel. I would load up a circuit and check to see if the panel got hot anywhere. Paranoid about my new old house. That's why I bought it in the first place. But it has so many uses.

I have a couple of really nice laser pointer thermal guns. But I would be spending hours and hours and hours to do what this thing can do in 10 seconds. Look across a field of vision and identify the hot and cold limit points and then figure out what you want it to be and know exactly where you are, And what the ambient is so you know where you're going.

I've got a 4x8 grow tent with a huge assortment of vegetables and leafy greens. This tent is a couple inches away from two outside walls. Using the camera I could figure out exactly where I needed to drop insulation and where I could ignore.

Using the reptile heat emitters I can focus heat on specific areas. These plants have a large range of desired temperature. So I start cold and then I point the heat emitters at the peppers who want to be warm. The ghost peppers just popped. They want some serious heat when they grow. So I can have this shared area because I can use the camera to figure out exactly what the heat emitter warms up.

I want orchids growing in a Washington winter. And orchids are really picky about temperature. And I want them to share an area with food growing. Root vegetables want to be cold. Peppers want to be hot. I think I can.

If you've got toy money to blow, go get one of these things. If your profession depends on knowing what the temperature of things is, go get one of these things.

https://www.huepar.com/products/pocket-sized-ir-thermal-imager-huepar-80-x-60-infrared-resolution-thermal-imaging-camera-measurement-range-14-f-752-f-with-76800-pixels-display-temperature-tracking-adjustable-emissivity-hti80p?_pos=1&_sid=7ab26638f&_ss=r
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 22, 2021, 03:58:03 AM EST
Expand Edited by crazy Nov. 22, 2021, 04:01:56 AM EST
New Water can be supercooled if very still
Any disturbance would immediately convert it to ice.

A note at the bottom of your linked page hints that the sensor may need to be adjusted based on the material you're pointing at. Any chance that is impacting the reading? (See https://www.iothrifty.com/blogs/news/infrared-temperature-measurement-challenges-emissivity)
New Don't forget that the change of state from water to ice needs removal of 80 calories/gram.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Yep, emissivity
Missed that setting for that.

That's okay, it's still been showing me the hot spots and cold spots that I've been looking for.
New Neat. Thanks for the pointer.
Looks like a handy gadget.

Do note though that the "temperature" depends on how it is interpreting what it senses. In particular, it is probably assuming a grey-body type emission curve and that it doesn't have unusual "emissivity" characteristics.

In general, emissivity is a function of temperature, material, surface roughness, etc., etc.

The camera is great for estimates of temperature differences.

8-14 µm wavelength band is probably appropriate for many materials at reasonable temperatures. But beware of reflections and remember that glass doesn't pass IR.

Good luck!

Cheers,
Scott.
     Turkey defrosting - (crazy) - (4)
         Water can be supercooled if very still - (scoenye) - (2)
             Don't forget that the change of state from water to ice needs removal of 80 calories/gram. -NT - (a6l6e6x)
             Yep, emissivity - (crazy)
         Neat. Thanks for the pointer. - (Another Scott)

Mmmmmm... gloat cheese!
53 ms