IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Bluetooth blues unblued
I generally work in low-light conditions—my study here at The Crumbling Manse™ does not receive a great deal of this at the best of times—and have long yearned for a backlit keyboard, such as I enjoy on both my elderly 2009 MBP and my spanking new 2020 jobbie. The other week I found a likely candidate, approximately resembling this one, and ordered it forthwith. It’s a handsome and, to all appearances, a solidly-built piece of kit. It was not apparent on its Orinoco-dot-com listing that the thing functions only as a wireless device (the Apple keyboards work with a hard connection as well), and although it shipped with—for a wonder—fairly clear and concise setup instructions, Big Cheese here could not be prevailed upon to pair with the thing. I took it downstairs and fired up the spousette’s spanking-new iMac and…nichto problemo: bacon and eggs. Peaches and cream. Astaire and Rogers.

I concluded that creaky old BC, running High Sierra, was forever incompatible, and was prepared to shrug and mothball the acquisition against the eventual purchase of some future current machine. The following day, however, I received a followup email from the seller, asking whether I was satisfied with the transaction. I responded that although I’d ascertained that the keyboard was perfectly functional, it appeared that it wasn’t inclined to play with my computer. The seller responded that if my Bluetooth LMP version (I had not been familiar with the protocol hitherto) was older than 4.0, I could never connect, but advised that simple hardware fixes were available. And lo, for an additional twenty simoleons I have acquired a tiny dongle, about the size of my thumbnail, that plugs into one of my many USB hubs and provides me with access to my new toy. I am typing this at night in an unlit room. I am unaccustomed to this level of customer service from an online vendor.

This is gratifying.

cordlessly,
New Excellent. It's nice when things work out.
New It's good to have online support like that!
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Glad you got sorted.
I take a different tack. For primary input devices, I do not do wireless.

It's counter-intuitive, but I have found that, for my specific use-case, the best keyboards and mice you can buy (for non-silly money) nowadays are gaming ones. I have to look past the ridiculous naming conventions, though.

I tried an assortment of reasonably-priced "business" keyboards before coming to the conclusion that they were, actually, all a bit shit. I type all day every day, cuz that's the job, and I don't mind dropping a little more scratch on something that improves that experience.

Right now I'm hammering this missive out on a wired Logitech G513, which itself was a warranty replacement for a G512 (a couple of failed LEDs). Yes, it's backlit. Yes, it has RGB. But you can turn that off, or set it to a single colour you like. Whereas "business" keyboards tend to have at-best-meh membrane key switches, this has proper mechanical switches. It's considerably louder (to my wife's chagrin), and it engenders precise, comfortable typing.

Mice are tricksier for me. I'm left-handed, and require an ambidextrous or full-on left-handed mouse. I've got an old Razer Deathadder lefty, but that's starting to fall apart after nearly a decade of use; it's firmly in "emergency spare" mode now. The Razer Taipan that replaced it about five years ago is starting to feel worn, especially on the side buttons - the back button is feeling decidedly squishy. Top of the list for replacements are the ROCCAT Kova or the SteelSeries Sensei 310.
Expand Edited by pwhysall Feb. 9, 2021, 02:43:41 AM EST
New +1
It's not so bad when the wireless uses its own non-Bluetooth connection. But if it's Bluetooth (at least under Winders) it seems to invite issues.

E.g. I bought a couple Matias wireless keyboards (long battery life, easy to switch between systems, etc.). J uses it with a couple of Macs in her office. I tried using one with my PC and had all sorts of issues because I want to be able to use BT wireless earbuds with my phone (for Teams meetings, etc.) and if I enable BT on the PC then it wants to grab everything.

BT is great, but it needs to have connect-to-this-but-not-to-that functionality. Or at least that functionality needs to be better controllable by this user.

I have a wired Gram MX One keyboard that I like a lot. Added some blue damper O-rings to the Cherry Brown switches to cut the noise a little.

I also have a wireless (non-BT) Anker vertical mouse that seems to make my wrist happier. I don't think they have a lefty version though. :-(

Cheers,
Scott.
New Totally not the reason :D
I just hate managing batteries in things, especially things that literally do not move more than a few centimetres from the exact same spot, ever.
New Expensive as fuck, and wireless*, but...
...but https://www.multitronic.fi/en/products/2354524/3dx-cadmouse-pro-wireless-left has worked fine for me.

And I think if you leave the (micro-USB) charging lead attached all the time, it uses that in stead of the wireless connection(s). :-)

___
* Switchable between BT and Logitech-y** tiny-dongle.

** No wonder, I think they're a spin-out.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who (used to think he) Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
     Bluetooth blues unblued - (rcareaga) - (6)
         Excellent. It's nice when things work out. -NT - (Another Scott)
         It's good to have online support like that! -NT - (a6l6e6x)
         Glad you got sorted. - (pwhysall) - (3)
             +1 - (Another Scott) - (1)
                 Totally not the reason :D - (pwhysall)
             Expensive as fuck, and wireless*, but... - (CRConrad)

We have some experienced flamelords who can take care of them.
90 ms