IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Just pat it dry with paper towels
When it comes out of the cryopak it'll be wet and slippery. Just rinse off and pat dry so it's easier to handle. You'd feel stupid dropping an $80 piece of cow.
--

Drew
New So nothing to do with letting it sit in the fridge to dry for a couple of days?
For some reason I thought you did that type of thing.
New That's a thing people do, but I haven't
They say it makes the flavor more intense, but I think it's just about perfect now. I'm worried I'll do it and not like the result.
--

Drew
New let mine sit for 4 days to dry in the refrigerator, I liked the taste, you may not
everyone in the house stated that they were worried it was rotting. Funny after it was cooked I didnt have leftovers
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Yeah, they're not pretty
--

Drew
New Re: Yeah, they're not pretty
We planned prime rib for Christmas night dinner. I bought a 3-bone roast a week ahead of time, took it out of its pack, and put it on a rack above paper towels in a quarter-sheet cookie pan to dry-age in the fridge. Over the course of the week, I could see it losing moisture. The color went from a bright red to a deep burgundy, and it visibly shrunk by probably 3-5%.

Christmas day, I made a rub of dijon mustard, rosemary, garlic, salt, and black pepper and slathered the roast. Stuck it in the oven (375, I think) until an internal thermometer read 122. The directions I was following said 118, but I know Meagan likes her steak just a little bit more well-done than I do. Thus, a few degrees higher. Took it out of the oven, covered it with tin foil, and let it rest...I think for probably 30 minutes, while I was finishing up cooking other things. 15 minutes before serving, I popped it back into the oven, uncovered, set to 500 degrees. Nice crisp browning on the outside, and Bob's your uncle. Take it out, slice, and serve.

It were deeeeeeee-lish.

And the inside of the roast was still reasonably rare (yet still cooked) -- perfect for reheating so it's in the medium-rare-to-medium category after a trip through the microwave.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Microwave?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Slice a half-inch thick and fry in a smoking hot pan until browned on each side.
--

Drew
New I said what I said.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Hmm. Is that a Dune reference?
New /shun
--

Drew
     Hey Drook, on drying rib roast - (crazy) - (10)
         Just pat it dry with paper towels - (drook) - (9)
             So nothing to do with letting it sit in the fridge to dry for a couple of days? - (crazy) - (8)
                 That's a thing people do, but I haven't - (drook)
                 let mine sit for 4 days to dry in the refrigerator, I liked the taste, you may not - (boxley) - (6)
                     Yeah, they're not pretty -NT - (drook) - (5)
                         Re: Yeah, they're not pretty - (mvitale) - (4)
                             Microwave?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! - (drook) - (3)
                                 I said what I said. -NT - (mvitale) - (2)
                                     Hmm. Is that a Dune reference? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         /shun -NT - (drook)