1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Yeah, they're not pretty
--

Drew
New Re: Yeah, they're not pretty
We planned prime rib for Christmas night dinner. I bought a 3-bone roast a week ahead of time, took it out of its pack, and put it on a rack above paper towels in a quarter-sheet cookie pan to dry-age in the fridge. Over the course of the week, I could see it losing moisture. The color went from a bright red to a deep burgundy, and it visibly shrunk by probably 3-5%.

Christmas day, I made a rub of dijon mustard, rosemary, garlic, salt, and black pepper and slathered the roast. Stuck it in the oven (375, I think) until an internal thermometer read 122. The directions I was following said 118, but I know Meagan likes her steak just a little bit more well-done than I do. Thus, a few degrees higher. Took it out of the oven, covered it with tin foil, and let it rest...I think for probably 30 minutes, while I was finishing up cooking other things. 15 minutes before serving, I popped it back into the oven, uncovered, set to 500 degrees. Nice crisp browning on the outside, and Bob's your uncle. Take it out, slice, and serve.

It were deeeeeeee-lish.

And the inside of the roast was still reasonably rare (yet still cooked) -- perfect for reheating so it's in the medium-rare-to-medium category after a trip through the microwave.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Microwave?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Slice a half-inch thick and fry in a smoking hot pan until browned on each side.
--

Drew
New I said what I said.
-Mike

@MikeVitale42

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin, 1759 Historical Review of Pennsylvania
New Hmm. Is that a Dune reference?
New /shun
--

Drew
     Hey Drook, on drying rib roast - (crazy) - (10)
         Just pat it dry with paper towels - (drook) - (9)
             So nothing to do with letting it sit in the fridge to dry for a couple of days? - (crazy) - (8)
                 That's a thing people do, but I haven't - (drook)
                 let mine sit for 4 days to dry in the refrigerator, I liked the taste, you may not - (boxley) - (6)
                     Yeah, they're not pretty -NT - (drook) - (5)
                         Re: Yeah, they're not pretty - (mvitale) - (4)
                             Microwave?!?!?!?!?! AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! - (drook) - (3)
                                 I said what I said. -NT - (mvitale) - (2)
                                     Hmm. Is that a Dune reference? -NT - (pwhysall) - (1)
                                         /shun -NT - (drook)

She's sunk full fathom five, five, five!
85 ms