IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I’m going to venture a prediction
…and I’ll be happy, as almost always after seeing what pops up in the crystal ball these days, if events prove me wrong. I think they’re working up their nerve to try something. For the reasons Jack Holmes (Pierce’s editor and wingman) sets forth in the linked piece, I don’t think they’ll be able to pull it off, but I think even the failed attempt could cause some gruesome damage to persons, property and polity.
Many of the high clergy in the Church of the Savvy have been calmly explaining for weeks that although Donald Trump’s brazen and pathetic post-election behavior is corrosive to democracy, it does not technically count as a coup attempt. The president’s myriad lawsuits attempting to throw out the results of democratic elections have not worked, these folks explain, therefore they were never going to work (Logic), and concern about them working—on the basis that no Law or Norm has much mattered for four years—was hysteria. This is too stupid to be a coup! It’s just a grift, because these things are mutually exclusive. And besides, a coup involves using the military or the security apparatus to seize power. He’s just getting laughed out of court.

Welp, now his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, a man the president pardoned just last week for “any and all possible offenses” related to the Mueller probe, has endorsed a call for the president to “temporarily suspend the Constitution,” “declare limited martial law,” have “the military oversee a national re-vote,” and “silence the destructive media.” Wow! Sounds a bit like a coup. Maybe the best part is the idea that you can have “limited” martial law, or that suspending the Constitution would just be “temporary,” or that the only organization that could oversee a legitimate election—read: one where Donald Trump wins—is the military.
Can there be any doubt that the Orange Man regards the prospect of being turned out of office not merely as a personal humiliation but as an existential threat, given the potential legal exposure he will have once his imperial immunity is withdrawn? And although I am not a cable subscriber, and hence am not directly exposed to Fox News, I have seen at second-hand such luminaries—or looninaries—as Sean Hannity urging similar courses of action upon him. The man is angry, and he is frightened, and his various allies and enablers are stridently urging him to assume the purple. Here’s an example—a full-page ad in the Washington Times the other day—quite explicitly demanding the imposition of martial law (“better than Civil War!”).

Again, I think that if he makes the attempt he will fail, but I am increasingly inclined to believe that, goaded by these lunatics and buccaneers, he will attempt something like what the Washington Times ad is calling for. And you know, even a “failed” armed robbery can leave a lot of carnage in its wake. The next seven weeks have the potential to be very dark indeed. Oh, and by the way? There’s this, er, loaded gun that’s been left lying around in the bottom drawer of the Resolute Desk for the past few decades…

balefully,
Collapse Edited by rcareaga Dec. 3, 2020, 02:16:17 PM EST
I’m going to venture a prediction
…and I’ll be happy, as almost always after seeing what pops up in the crystal ball these days, if events prove me wrong. I think they’re working up their nerve to try something. For the reasons Jack Holmes (Pierce’s editor and wingman) sets forth in the linked piece, I don’t think they’ll be able to pull it off, but I think even the failed attempt could cause some gruesome damage to persons, property and polity.
Many of the high clergy in the Church of the Savvy have been calmly explaining for weeks that although Donald Trump’s brazen and pathetic post-election behavior is corrosive to democracy, it does not technically count as a coup attempt. The president’s myriad lawsuits attempting to throw out the results of democratic elections have not worked, these folks explain, therefore they were never going to work (Logic), and concern about them working—on the basis that no Law or Norm has much mattered for four years—was hysteria. This is too stupid to be a coup! It’s just a grift, because these things are mutually exclusive. And besides, a coup involves using the military or the security apparatus to seize power. He’s just getting laughed out of court.

Welp, now his former national security adviser, Michael Flynn, a man the president pardoned just last week for “any and all possible offenses” related to the Mueller probe, has endorsed a call for the president to “temporarily suspend the Constitution,” “declare limited martial law,” have “the military oversee a national re-vote,” and “silence the destructive media.” Wow! Sounds a bit like a coup. Maybe the best part is the idea that you can have “limited” martial law, or that suspending the Constitution would just be “temporary,” or that the only organization that could oversee a legitimate election—read: one where Donald Trump wins—is the military.
Can there be any doubt that the Orange Man regards the prospect of being turned out of office not merely as a personal humiliation but as an existential threat, given the potential legal exposure he will have once his imperial immunity is withdrawn? And although I am not a cable subscriber, and hence am not directly exposed to Fox News, I have seen at second-hand such luminaries—or looninaries—as Sean Hannity urging similar courses of action upon him. The man is angry, and he is frightened, and his various allies and enablers are stridently urging him to assume the purple. Here’s an example—a full-page ad in the Washington Times the other day—quite explicitly demanding the imposition of martial law (“better than Civil War!”).

Again, I think that if he makes the attempt he will fail, but I am increasingly inclined to believe that, goaded by these lunatics and buccaneers, he will attempt something like what the Washington Times ad is calling for. And you know, even a “failed” armed robbery can leave a lot of carnage in its wake. The next seven weeks have the potentialto be very dark indeed. Oh, and by the way? There’s this, er, loaded gun that’s been left lying around in the bottom drawer of the Resolute Desk for the past few decades…

balefully,
New Of course, it *might* not fail
In which case we get martial law and civil war, and the United States implodes in fire and blood. Pity, that: the Whole Foods on the corner has just these past two days taken down the plywood and replaced the tenth-acre of plate glass smashed during the last round of disturbances.
New its a grift, he has raked in 175 million since the election
and in the corner of the world where I work, the military isn't going to support him to do squat. Other similar types of government organs would actively oppose such a move as well
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Well, at his election . . .
. . I remember someone predicting there would be tanks on the streets of Washington to get him out of the Whitehouse.
New after four years of assholic tweets they are sick of him as well
"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" – Richard Feynman
New Donnie is a coward. He fires people by Twitter.
He's hoping that he's cowed enough of the judges and his underlings do all the crimes without question, and to to rile up enough of the uneducated to do his bidding, but it's not working. He will rant and rave but not do anything himself.

He's a coward.

He'll leave without much fuss, and continue to try to browbeat everyone so that he will face no consequences for his actions. Who knows if that part will work, but he's going to leave by January 20. Of that I have no doubt.

We'll see.

Cheers,
Scott.
New If he tells the military to bomb Iran on New Year's Day, do you think they'll comply?
No one can question the incompetence of this cabal. Trump-competence is the absolute zero of competence. But I'm between you and Rand. I've no doubt he will, in his tantrum, try to inflict as much damage as he possibly can and, I believe, some of it will be successful. He's effectively morphed the Republican Party into his party - formed entirely of our crazy uncles who a decade ago were forwarding conspiracy theory laden emails and now find themselves parroting Soviet Russian propaganda with absolutely no sense of irony that their party used to be the "Better dead than Red" party.
bcnu,
Mikem

It's mourning in America again.
New Yep, the fact that the transition team is not allowed contact with DOD intelligence...
worries me too!

What the fuck is he up to?
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Happily
The takeover of the Air Force Academy by the Righteous(TM) has already been mentioned here several times. There is no reason to think the upper echelons of the other branches are not similarly infested (recall - Bush II and Trump were declared divine gifts by serving Army generals). It has been 17 years since the current crusade started - enough for the Xian Soldier Project to come to fruition.
New Wait ..that's tl; ..sans the dr
I mean, have heard randomly such spot reports, cringed ... failed to put on to-Do list. You've kept up.

We now gots evangelical-sub C-in-Cs spread throughout the Corp(s)? DAMN!
I mean.. Jeez: yathink Seven Days in May is now a credited Course??
(speaking as a familiar re 'Corp-speak, emulated in mere MIl. Academies--
even though these can't put you up against the Wall; all they got is Demerits).

General Buck Turgidson ... speaking in tongues? Say it ain't true-ish!
Got any links, even Stats on this topic? Googling That seems a probable open-Dossier flag--already. :-/
New Heathen Flight
Not so much keeping up as projecting expectations base on the past baseline and the general morphing of "religious freedom" into "I'll damn well do as I please even if it kills you."

I think this one has made it here some time ago:
http://jewsingreen.org/2004/12/religious-bias-at-the-air-force-academy/

and this one dealing more with incidents while deployed:
https://www.aspentimes.com/news/war-against-soldiers-of-christ/

also https://www.christianactivities.com/president-bush-distances-himself-from-general-boykins-islam-comment/

Can't find the two that declared Bush and Trump to be divine gifts right now. Will dig a bit deeper tomorrow.
New Many thanks, bitchin start; prepping for palpitations..
     I’m going to venture a prediction - (rcareaga) - (11)
         Of course, it *might* not fail - (rcareaga)
         its a grift, he has raked in 175 million since the election - (boxley) - (2)
             Well, at his election . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                 after four years of assholic tweets they are sick of him as well -NT - (boxley)
         Donnie is a coward. He fires people by Twitter. - (Another Scott) - (6)
             If he tells the military to bomb Iran on New Year's Day, do you think they'll comply? - (mmoffitt) - (5)
                 Yep, the fact that the transition team is not allowed contact with DOD intelligence... - (a6l6e6x)
                 Happily - (scoenye) - (3)
                     Wait ..that's tl; ..sans the dr - (Ashton) - (2)
                         Heathen Flight - (scoenye) - (1)
                             Many thanks, bitchin start; prepping for palpitations.. -NT - (Ashton)

Iggy Pop in Daisy Dukes.
64 ms