IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 2 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: My daughter got a bad grade on her Frankenstein paper
This was a literature class, right?

A literary answer should have been given. Your daughter's answer is clever, and technically correct (although I'm not convinced that scientists think things through to the extent that is posited), but Frankenstein is a moral tale first, and science fiction second.

I'm on the fence here. Daughter has dodged the question, but in an innovative way; but, fundamentally, she's failed to answer the question posed.
New It wasn't explicitly stated before the fact
That's the thing about teaching really old books. When the science is central to the story, and we now know that the science was all wrong, it's going to be hard for kids to get past that.
--

Drew
New You seem to have quite fundamentally misunderstood the genre.
PeeWee capaldis:
...but Frankenstein is a moral tale first, and science fiction second.
Science fiction is a genre of moral tales.
--

Christian R. Conrad
The Man Who Apparently Still Knows Fucking Everything

Mail: Same username as at the top left of this post, at iki.fi
New And?
You're in firm r/confidentlyincorrect territory here.
New The man who knows effing everything is wrong
"Genre of" indicates hierarchy and there's no way in hell sci-fi is within a hierarchy of moral tales. A sci-fi tale may be a moral tale but it doesn't have to be.
     This almost makes me want to believe in an anthropomorphic deity. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         I understand the feeling, but - (malraux)
         What Scott said. - (InThane) - (15)
             Clockmaker god - (crazy) - (11)
                 In college, we had to read "Frankenstein" for a tech class. - (InThane) - (10)
                     My daughter got a bad grade on her Frankenstein paper - (drook) - (9)
                         File appeal with Principal? - (Ashton) - (3)
                             If I were that teacher ... - (drook) - (2)
                                 Clever-lad but.. in 'Murica the emotional decision of the Overseer--went with the kid's send-up. ;^> - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Re: recreation. - (crazy)
                         Re: My daughter got a bad grade on her Frankenstein paper - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             It wasn't explicitly stated before the fact - (drook)
                             You seem to have quite fundamentally misunderstood the genre. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 And? - (pwhysall)
                                 The man who knows effing everything is wrong - (crazy)
             maybe they think it is amusing -NT - (boxley)
             What kind of divine being? Why, *this* kind! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 A counter-Tenor role, perhaps? "Let me not to the marriage of true minds .... admit impediments". -NT - (Ashton)
         You're just trying to cheer me up! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

This is immediately dreadful.
98 ms