IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New File appeal with Principal?
Seems a Teacher unacquainted with the need to teach Imagination ..as a skill.
This 'grade' smacks of a tale (likely heard already) ..alleged to be actual, as I heard it.
Science test: "Describe how a barometer could be used to determine the height of a building".

Student: [evading the obvious answer] Describes ~~
1) Tie a string to it, lower to ground and measure string length.
2) Drop the barometer, measuring time to landing.
3) Some variants--one IIRC involving arc described: barometer on short string, held || to ground, then freed,
allowed to cycle in its circular arcs, measuring the time over n-cycles at ground level and atop. (Air resistance).

On appeal student won. Or it wouldn't have gotten ink.
Luck!
New If I were that teacher ...
1. If you had a tape long enough to measure the string, you would just measure the height with that.

2. The question stipulated that you had a barometer, not a stopwatch.

3. To use air resistance throughout the arc of the swing, you'd first have to know the pressure at the top and the bottom. Which you could measure with a barometer. But once you have those, subtraction is a more direct solution.

IOW "Fair play, kid. But here's how this game is played."
--

Drew
New Clever-lad but.. in 'Murica the emotional decision of the Overseer--went with the kid's send-up. ;^>
Yeah.. I've tilted at such windmills too.. knowing it was only a recreation.

Pure logic hardly ever wins alone--except in IT, nukes, a few special matters, right?
(And always--in Law--we have the advice of Fred Rodell), Dean @ Harvard Law)
[again] "the pseudo-science of The Law". Maybe only in Math is there a genuine 'Proof' of anything?

At least, this is the enviro in which I have lived, amidst the science-illiterates who ain't got no Respect for what they know-not.

Carrion.
New Re: recreation.
About 15 years ago I was with the wife, who wasn't the wife quite yet, at a resort at the Poconos.

We got our little bungalow with the heart-shaped bed. Don't do that. Heart-shaped beds are just not meant to be slept upon. And we got gatherings with other people in the center with the entertainment.

We got to meet people at dinner and we were sat with them every evening so each day we got a little bit more the same people. I was sat next to an evangelical preacher. And his hot wife.

He was a bit holier than thou so of course I got into a few arguments. I explained to him the difference between procreation and recreation and I got him to explain exactly what he was doing here at this resort with me. Because this resort was designed for recreation. He was both amused and not amused. That was a fun dinner.
     This almost makes me want to believe in an anthropomorphic deity. - (mmoffitt) - (18)
         I understand the feeling, but - (malraux)
         What Scott said. - (InThane) - (15)
             Clockmaker god - (crazy) - (11)
                 In college, we had to read "Frankenstein" for a tech class. - (InThane) - (10)
                     My daughter got a bad grade on her Frankenstein paper - (drook) - (9)
                         File appeal with Principal? - (Ashton) - (3)
                             If I were that teacher ... - (drook) - (2)
                                 Clever-lad but.. in 'Murica the emotional decision of the Overseer--went with the kid's send-up. ;^> - (Ashton) - (1)
                                     Re: recreation. - (crazy)
                         Re: My daughter got a bad grade on her Frankenstein paper - (pwhysall) - (4)
                             It wasn't explicitly stated before the fact - (drook)
                             You seem to have quite fundamentally misunderstood the genre. - (CRConrad) - (2)
                                 And? - (pwhysall)
                                 The man who knows effing everything is wrong - (crazy)
             maybe they think it is amusing -NT - (boxley)
             What kind of divine being? Why, *this* kind! - (rcareaga) - (1)
                 A counter-Tenor role, perhaps? "Let me not to the marriage of true minds .... admit impediments". -NT - (Ashton)
         You're just trying to cheer me up! :) -NT - (a6l6e6x)

I have neither space nor cash nor latitude to adorn my house with any more things with CPUs in them.
78 ms