IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Re: I had a sort of opposite problem
That is interesting - 'They don't look right" so don't want em. Sheesh

Am interested as to what the 'shot peen' process involved. Am guessing that
peen means 'hitting' & shot implies using ball bearings to do the hitting ? am also guessing that
this was a hardening process after machining.

Cheers

Doug

UPDATE#1
LOOKED IT UP ON THE WEB ...

Shot Peen Forming [link|http://www.curtisswright.com/segments/metal_treatment/shot_peen_forming.asp|Shot Peen forming]

Peen forming is a dieless forming process performed at room temperature. During the
process, the surface of the workpiece is impacted upon by small, round steel shot.
Every piece of shot impacting the surface acts as a tiny peening hammer, producing
elastic stretching of the upper surface and local plastic deformation that manifest
itself as a residual compressive stress. The surface force of the residual compressive
stress combined with the stretching causing the material to develop a compound,
convex curvature on the peened side.

Parts formed by peen forming exhibit increased resistance to flexural bending fatigue.
Another distinct advantage with peen forming, unlike most other forming methods, it
that all surface stresses generated are of a compressive nature.

Expand Edited by dmarker2 June 9, 2002, 12:03:11 AM EDT
New Only the last sentence is relative
Shot peening of (very hard and not at all formable) critical structural parts is done with very tiny steel shot at high velocity. The objective is to create those compressive stresses on the surface, similar to the stresses induced in tempered glass.

Grinding after shot peen tends to relieve these beneficial stresses through removal of material and heat, and introduces microscopic cracks and unwanted grinding stresses. Properly, there should be a heat cycle after grinding operations to remove the stresses produced by that process, but any such heat cycle would also remove the beneficial stresses from shot peening. On the other hand, shot peening can be used to relieve grinding stresses if a heat cycle is not possible due to metalergical (temper) requirements.
[link|http://www.aaxnet.com|AAx]
Expand Edited by Andrew Grygus June 9, 2002, 12:58:20 AM EDT
     M$ stock continues to please those who - (Ashton) - (53)
         Re: MS is one stock that will bounce back - (dmarker2) - (49)
             I dunno. - (mmoffitt) - (48)
                 Re: I'd love to see Linux sweep MS away, but - (dmarker2) - (47)
                     Am getting more into embedded personally, but... - (mmoffitt)
                     Licensing note. - (static) - (44)
                         Maybe I'm just too damned old. - (mmoffitt) - (43)
                             Are you blind??? - (Andrew Grygus) - (3)
                                 No, I am not a cynic -NT - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 Cackle..____glorp. - (Ashton)
                                 I'm so ashamed. - (mmoffitt)
                             I didn't say everything should be a web service. - (static) - (38)
                                 Didn't mean to imply you did. - (mmoffitt) - (37)
                                     Your not as old as you think... - (jb4) - (36)
                                         Re: Trying to understand XML & Web Services - try containers - (dmarker2) - (35)
                                             That ... makes sense! - (drewk) - (1)
                                                 TWikified - (kmself)
                                             Very well written, but... - (mmoffitt) - (32)
                                                 Re: Good point - (dmarker2) - (31)
                                                     Let's follow the analogy a bit further - (Ashton) - (28)
                                                         Related to something I was just saying about OSS & FSF - (drewk) - (18)
                                                             Those seem to be the stages, but it's the Aim - (Ashton) - (17)
                                                                 Re: But,but, but - (dmarker2) - (16)
                                                                     Shall we sing "John Henry"? :-) - (a6l6e6x)
                                                                     Yes of course - you can't Not -invent stuff.. - (Ashton) - (8)
                                                                         Re: Yes of course - you can't Not -invent stuff.. YA GOT ME - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                             Well, then you don't know what you're talking about. - (CRConrad) - (3)
                                                                                 Re: Jeeze CRC - that was mild ... - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                                     Stone cold sober; at work. Summer. - (CRConrad) - (1)
                                                                                         Re: Please accept my public apology for - (dmarker2)
                                                                         Re: Carnot Cycle ... here is an example of a good one - (dmarker2) - (2)
                                                                             We had one on the roof! - (Ashton)
                                                                             Re: Carnot Cycle ... here is an example of a good one - (shimon340)
                                                                     Hey Doug, Toolmakers, Machinists, lathes are STILL here - (tonytib) - (5)
                                                                         Re: A funny story re Lathes & precision finishing - (dmarker2) - (4)
                                                                             I had a sort of opposite problem - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
                                                                                 Re: I had a sort of opposite problem - (dmarker2) - (1)
                                                                                     Only the last sentence is relative - (Andrew Grygus)
                                                                             Taig is still around, but in Arizona - (tonytib)
                                                         Re: Where you are leading may - (dmarker2) - (8)
                                                             ie 'change is inevitable" - (Ashton) - (7)
                                                                 Re: ie 'change is inevitable" - (dmarker2)
                                                                 Therein is the big issue IMO - (drewk) - (5)
                                                                     Yes - it seems to be that last.. - (Ashton) - (4)
                                                                         Re: Ashton, have created a new thread in open ... - (dmarker2) - (3)
                                                                             Beyond call of duty :-) Mine should have been tagged OT - (Ashton) - (2)
                                                                                 Indeed. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                                                     Tip of iceberg? - (Ashton)
                                                     Amazing thing I heard about containers - (drewk) - (1)
                                                         Sending empties? Buy less shit from there, or sell more! -NT - (CRConrad)
                     Licensing model - (jake123)
         Back below 50 in heavy trading - (Andrew Grygus) - (2)
             Re: Not just MS - also IBM, Siebel, Redhat - all slumped - (dmarker2) - (1)
                 Dunno about them 'Industrial Average' thingies - (Ashton)

Department of Redundancy Department
272 ms