IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You're changing the question.
How many millions died for "Communism"?

You said "... nothing of any value ever arose from the three desert religions of the West."

You're wrong about that.

Cheers,
Scott.
New Is this more acceptable?
"Except for some art, which is only of value subjectively, nothing of any value has arisen from the desert religions of the West. And the value of that art is dwarfed by the evil that has been visited upon humanity by their adherents."

That's about as far as I'll go for it presumes that the art could not have been developed in the absence of religion.
New No.
You're trying to impose your subjective opinion that there is "nothing of any value" as fact.

What is an objective fact is that many beautiful and important works of art, literature, music, architecture, philosophy, and criticism and more were created as a result of the Abrahamic religions.

(Yeah, one could say similar things about the Nazis, but that doesn't change the fact that you're wrong about this.)

Cheers,
Scott.
New You sound like Madeleine Albright. "We think the price is worth it."
New I guess you didn't notice I threw you some bones in that. Oh well... ;-)
New How's this, then?
If (taking for the sake of argument the account in Exodus as having some remote basis in actual events) the Israelites had become so pissed off at Moses' ceaseless hectoring, and suspicious of his frequent unexplained absences—supposedly to confer with Yahweh, but just possibly he was heading into town to knock off a piece—that they took up golden calf worship, thereafter degenerating into one more animistic Arabian sect and vanishing from the historical record; or

if at twenty-nine Jesus the carpenter had stepped on a rusty nail on his way to that first fateful meeting at the Toastmasters' Club and had thereby died of a massive infection of Clostridium tetani before he could take up his calling as a motivational speaker; or

if Mohammed had choked to death on a fig as a child, then

absent all three, or just two, or even one of the Abrahamic siblings, it would be a significantly different world today, and the sequence of great and small historical events* necessary to produce all of us here at IWT would not have obtained, thereby depriving humanity of our witty banter, knowing allusions, and penetrating insights and analyses of current events. Well, OK, there's boxley in one of his moods, but still.

You've already told us that art is "only of value subjectively." Perhaps you could enlighten us as to the human institutions that have yielded artifacts or institutions of absolute and objective value: please specify in as much detail as you like the institutions and the valuable products. Extra points for detail. Show your work.

cordially,

*For example, but for Pearl Harbor my old man would probably have got some girl in trouble in St. Louis rather than running off to enlist in the Marines and waiting until after the war to meet my mother in Mexico City and get her in trouble. Thanks, Admiral Yamamoto!
New Research suggests that there would be no society without it
I'll try to dig up the link, but it was something along the lines of religious persecution and us vs. them contributing to the rise of more than familial groups.

Nothing we have around us would be here if it weren't for that. Now, you can argue the value of that, I suppose, but personally I'm happy not to be grubbing for tubers and running from tigers.
Regards,
-scott
Welcome to Rivendell, Mr. Anderson.
New This argument reminds of this
New Splitter!
New :-)
     are the gay folk so freaking evil? - (boxley) - (24)
         :-( Handgun, AR-15, maybe some sort of "device". It's too easy for dangerous people to get... -NT - (Another Scott) - (4)
             some sort of "device". It's too easy for dangerous people to get...ooh a some sort easy to get - (boxley) - (1)
                 better idea lockup people who express anti gay sentiments for ever, that makes as much sense -NT - (boxley)
             sorry nother having a bad day, shouldnt take it out on you. Gonna sign off for a few days -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                 Don't let our talking get to you. Hang in there. -NT - (Another Scott)
         culture clash - (rcareaga) - (18)
             At least he was honest. - (mmoffitt) - (16)
                 I yield to few men in my disdain - (rcareaga) - (15)
                     On the book of Kells - (pwhysall) - (1)
                         Meh. People gotta make a living. - (Another Scott)
                     Religion remains the opiate of the People. -NT - (mmoffitt)
                     The Pietà. also too. - (Another Scott) - (11)
                         Question: How many millions of lives is that art worth? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                             You're changing the question. - (Another Scott) - (9)
                                 Is this more acceptable? - (mmoffitt) - (8)
                                     No. - (Another Scott) - (3)
                                         You sound like Madeleine Albright. "We think the price is worth it." -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                             I guess you didn't notice I threw you some bones in that. Oh well... ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             How's this, then? - (rcareaga)
                                     Research suggests that there would be no society without it - (malraux)
                                     This argument reminds of this - (crazy) - (2)
                                         Splitter! -NT - (rcareaga)
                                         :-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Translation: - (Andrew Grygus)

But it makes such great fish bait!
127 ms