IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 1 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Miami Beach is sinking.
An interesting thread at Lawyers, Guns and Money points us to a NewYorker article:

According to the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, sea levels could rise by more than three feet by the end of this century. The United States Army Corps of Engineers projects that they could rise by as much as five feet; the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts up to six and a half feet. According to Wanless, all these projections are probably low. In his office, Wanless keeps a jar of meltwater he collected from the Greenland ice sheet. He likes to point out that there is plenty more where that came from.

“Many geologists, we’re looking at the possibility of a ten-to-thirty-foot range by the end of the century,” he told me.

We got back into the car. Driving with one hand, Wanless shot pictures out the window with the other. “Look at that,” he said. “Oh, my gosh!” We’d come to a neighborhood of multimillion-dollar homes where the water was creeping under the security gates and up the driveways. Porsches and Mercedeses sat flooded up to their chassis.

“This is today, you know,” Wanless said. “This isn’t with two feet of sea-level rise.” He wanted to get better photos, and pulled over onto another side street. He handed me the camera so that I could take a picture of him standing in the middle of the submerged road. Wanless stretched out his arms, like a magician who’d just conjured a rabbit. Some workmen came bouncing along in the back of a pickup. Every few feet, they stuck a depth gauge into the water. A truck from the Miami Beach Public Works Department pulled up. The driver asked if we had called City Hall. Apparently, one of the residents of the street had mistaken the high tide for a water-main break. As we were chatting with him, an elderly woman leaning on a walker rounded the corner. She looked at the lake the street had become and wailed, “What am I supposed to do?” The men in the pickup truck agreed to take her home. They folded up her walker and hoisted her into the cab.

To cope with its recurrent flooding, Miami Beach has already spent something like a hundred million dollars. It is planning on spending several hundred million more. Such efforts are, in Wanless’s view, so much money down the drain. Sooner or later—and probably sooner—the city will have too much water to deal with. Even before that happens, Wanless believes, insurers will stop selling policies on the luxury condos that line Biscayne Bay. Banks will stop writing mortgages.

[...]

As the ice age ended and the planet warmed, the world’s coastlines assumed their present configuration. There’s a good deal of evidence — much of it now submerged — that this process did not take place slowly and steadily but, rather, in fits and starts. Beginning around 12,500 B.C., during an event known as meltwater pulse 1A, sea levels rose by roughly fifty feet in three or four centuries, a rate of more than a foot per decade. Meltwater pulse 1A, along with pulses 1B, 1C, and 1D, was, most probably, the result of ice-sheet collapse. One after another, the enormous glaciers disintegrated and dumped their contents into the oceans. It’s been speculated — though the evidence is sketchy — that a sudden flooding of the Black Sea toward the end of meltwater pulse 1C, around seventy-five hundred years ago, inspired the deluge story in Genesis.

A reader at LGM points us to a Bill Nye video on Miami.

(via Atrios)

Cheers,
Scott.
New Beaches everywhere.
A lot of the highly built-up beachfronts on Australia's east coast - mostly Sydney and the Gold Coast, but all along the coast - has been subject to dynamic changes for decades. I know beaches all along Sydney's eastern suburbs have had a great deal of work to stop them "moving". At least one bears little resemblance to my childhood memories.

Except beaches are supposed to move. Over time, the land either crumbles and the beach marches inland or the beach gets sand logged and the sea retreats. And that's before trying to account for changes in sea-level.

Sometimes there are noises about updating building regulations to stop more houses being built in such precarious places, but it rarely changes anything.

Wade.
New Beaches everywhere.
A lot of the highly built-up beachfronts on Australia's east coast - mostly Sydney and the Gold Coast, but all along the coast - has been subject to dynamic changes for decades. I know beaches all along Sydney's eastern suburbs have had a great deal of work to stop them "moving". At least one bears little resemblance to my childhood memories.

Except beaches are supposed to move. Over time, the land either crumbles and the beach marches inland or the beach gets sand logged and the sea retreats. And that's before trying to account for changes in sea-level.

Sometimes there are noises about updating building regulations to stop more houses being built in such precarious places, but it rarely changes anything.

Wade.
New Maybe Trump has a solution
Posted in June 2014:

http://forum.iwethey.org/forum/post/390282/

(Goodbye, Miami)
New Thanks!
New Your link to the vox.c0m article was al punte, then..
And with the ascension of The Donald, most of the 7 points are just intensified.

As with the American Civil War--ongoing in the brain-pans of too many millions to count--the capacity for pettifogging distraction merely increases with the added new-techno
..and its facilitation of Big Propaganda. Within a highly suggestible, uninformable ... superstitious majority-Tribe.

I'll still Hope for some (completely undeserved?) Epiphany.. In-time. One Must

..but will have to sell-Short because we have now proven that we are incorrigible, and it's still true: Testosterone Kills Reasoning-ability.
New They all have opinions..
>>> Within a highly suggestible, uninformable ... superstitious majority-Tribe....

But as Vince Masuka (forensic scientist) on the TV show 'Dexter' said:

"That's not opinion, that's science. And science is one cold-hearted bitch with a 14" strap-on."

I guess we'll see what happens.
     Miami Beach is sinking. - (Another Scott) - (6)
         Beaches everywhere. - (static)
         Beaches everywhere. - (static)
         Maybe Trump has a solution - (dmcarls) - (3)
             Thanks! -NT - (Another Scott)
             Your link to the vox.c0m article was al punte, then.. - (Ashton) - (1)
                 They all have opinions.. - (dmcarls)

NaN
42 ms