IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New I cannot "Move On"...
"Moving on" means knowingly claiming a falsehood is true. Specifically, that any same-sex marriage will ever be the equal of mine for the simple reason that no same-sex marriage will ever contribute to the State what mine already has, and the contributions mine has made to the State will only multiply in the coming decades.

You're asking me to claim something is true that is plainly, flatly false. I didn't do that as a nine year old in the Soviet Union and I'll be damned if I'm going to start doing it now.
New Your so-called contribution
...did not require a marriage license. And what did the legally married parents of Mr. Dylann Storm Roof "contribute," exactly, to society?

less cordially,
New Re: ...did not require a marriage license.
I think we at last may have found some common ground. I know somewhere in the endless threads about this I've said that my commitment to my wife had nothing to do with our getting married; but a strong desire not to have my children listed as bastards or illegitimate. Knowing that they would be so classified were I not married when they were born, I proposed some 35 years ago only because I had found the woman with whom I wanted to have children.

I repeat myself again, but the stigma attached to out-of-wedlock births has largely disappeared in the last 30 years or so. Hence, marriage has about outlived its usefulness, notwithstanding today's ruling. I think the solution that makes the most sense now is that we just stop issuing marriage licenses to anyone. What a marriage is today is little more than a meaningless (to the State - who, after all, is being asked to issue these licenses) intensive issued by two people.
New I have a relative, shortly to be married
...who was technically a "bastard" when she was born (her parents married a few years later, and went on to have two more children). Her "illegitimacy" (of which she has been long aware) has not so far as I am aware cost her or anyone associated with her so much as a second of sleep these past thirty years. Your then-obsession with "stigma" says much more about the regional cultural climate in which you were raised than it does about the merits of in-wedlock childbirth.

As a thought experiment, I imagine one of your daughters coming out as a lesbian and asking your blessing for her marriage to another woman (and I'm thinking fat, butch, crewcut, and with more tattoos'n you could shake a stick at) with whom she's deeply in love. Would you extend your approval, or stand on non-ceremony?

cordially,
New Regional. That's funny. I was raised in Long Beach, California (ages 4 - 18 ).
Of course, I was raised by two people from rural North Carolina and that had greater influence than the "region" I lived in. And there was heavy stigma attached in their thinking and rearing, despite both being college grads and my father holding a Master's degree.

With both my daughters being in their early 20's (my youngest is aghast at my views on this subject), I've told them what I've always told them, "There's no point in getting married if you have no intention of having children." So would I object to one (or both) of them making the decision you suggest? No. I'd think it was a stupid decision, but no more so than if they decided to marry a man with no intention of having children. I can't imagine either of them asking for my "blessing" in any case. They know that my view is that it is their decision and, frankly, none of my business.
New Nor indeed, then, is it any of your business
...if a couple of guys want to tie the knot. Glad we got this settled.

cordially,
New In the final analysis. You're right. It isn't. But it is stupid.
     Two days in a row - (malraux) - (80)
         One can only hope. -NT - (mvitale)
         Whatever your position, ... - (mmoffitt) - (33)
             And there's nothing in that quote that requires the union to involve specific genders -NT - (drook)
             Hmm. - (malraux) - (1)
                 Cosign. Also, a bit of levity. - (Another Scott)
             To all above. - (mmoffitt) - (7)
                 the Farce is strong in this one - (rcareaga)
                 Meh. - (Another Scott) - (5)
                     I think you just made my point. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                         You (and Roberts) don't acknowledge the "right to marry" for those who 'don't fit'. - (Another Scott) - (1)
                             Re: Marriage is a fundamental right that two adults can share. - (mmoffitt)
                         Finally figured out how to put this - (drook) - (1)
                             Good! I wonder if Alito got an answer like that (but am too disinterested now to check. ;-) -NT - (Another Scott)
             Sullivan returned to blogging, for today. - (Another Scott)
             Richard Posner's take - (Another Scott) - (20)
                 You have to admit John Stuart Mill lays it out clearly. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
                     I don't have to admit ANYTHING! Oops, sorry. -NT - (drook)
                 Re: No more than biracial marriage does gay marriage harm people who don’t have or want to have such - (mmoffitt) - (17)
                     You just don't get this, do you. - (malraux) - (16)
                         You're right. I won't ever "get" this. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                             Marriage is not. About. Children. - (pwhysall) - (2)
                                 Re: Marriage is not. About. Children. - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                     Not even wrong. -NT - (pwhysall)
                             Red herring. - (malraux)
                         Any tax benefit anyone else gets harms him financially. - (crazy) - (10)
                             s/him/State -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                 Which makes no difference in the meaning of the post - (crazy)
                             No, he still could be. - (malraux) - (7)
                                 Of course the tax should apply equally. It did. - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                                     Nope - (drook) - (4)
                                         But you got that because of an expectation that you'd reproduce. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                             An expectation by whom? Legal cites, please. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                             You didn't make a claim about retroactive meaning - (drook) - (1)
                                                 I was trying to answer a question posed to me. - (mmoffitt)
                                     Re: Of course the tax should apply equally. It did. - (malraux)
         this morning's decision - (rcareaga) - (40)
             Thanks. -NT - (Another Scott)
             I think Roberts fairly refuted the fallacy of comparing this with Loving. - (mmoffitt) - (37)
                 step into my parlor - (rcareaga) - (28)
                     BIO 101. You take it? -NT - (mmoffitt) - (27)
                         Re: BIO 101. You take it? - (rcareaga) - (26)
                             Nope. - (mmoffitt) - (25)
                                 That's a rather obsolete argument. - (Andrew Grygus) - (4)
                                     I'm not blind to the overpopulation problem. But you assume facts not in evidence. - (mmoffitt) - (3)
                                         BTW, don't you think that Virginia... - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             Yes. See. Marriage really was all about procreation! -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                         When a child is taken out of state care . . . - (Andrew Grygus)
                                 You keep making these pronouncements in these threads... - (Another Scott) - (5)
                                     Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                         We've been arguing about the history for at least 11 years... - (Another Scott)
                                         Re: The State has much more interest in marriage than procreation. - (rcareaga) - (2)
                                             It was in Rome. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (1)
                                                 Eh? - (Another Scott)
                                 What what what!? - (crazy) - (1)
                                     "Confederate communist viewpoint is amazing" - (rcareaga)
                                 Umm... - (hnick) - (11)
                                     Would you leave your wife if you didn't have a marriage license? - (mmoffitt) - (10)
                                         easy-peasy - (rcareaga) - (9)
                                             Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                                 Re: Ah, then we're talking of the selfish interests of the couple. - (hnick) - (3)
                                                     The State also has an interest in seeing that it survives. -NT - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                                         The State has interests . . . - (Andrew Grygus) - (1)
                                                             :0) -NT - (mmoffitt)
                                             My last comment in this thread - (hnick) - (3)
                                                 Man, I gotta keep that link ... Oh lord, time sink from hell! - (drook) - (1)
                                                     Things like that were on Pharyngula when PZ was debating. He eventually quit debating. -NT - (Another Scott)
                                                 Holy Cthulhu! ... why this thesis might be appended to Gödel's - (Ashton)
                 The Majority opinion, again. - (Another Scott) - (7)
                     I cannot "Move On"... - (mmoffitt) - (6)
                         Your so-called contribution - (rcareaga) - (5)
                             Re: ...did not require a marriage license. - (mmoffitt) - (4)
                                 I have a relative, shortly to be married - (rcareaga) - (3)
                                     Regional. That's funny. I was raised in Long Beach, California (ages 4 - 18 ). - (mmoffitt) - (2)
                                         Nor indeed, then, is it any of your business - (rcareaga) - (1)
                                             In the final analysis. You're right. It isn't. But it is stupid. -NT - (mmoffitt)
             hey, christians beleive you can bang one of your slaves to whelp a get - (boxley)
         okay now I am totally confused - (boxley) - (3)
             confused is your default state -NT - (rcareaga) - (2)
                 rather be an asshole than a self righteous asshole Dr. Villega -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                     Thou sayest. -NT - (rcareaga)

They had me at, “Get the Hot Wheels Rally Case!”
105 ms