IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New Comparing flooding from thunderstorms with a tropical storm? Really?
He's a crank when it comes to talking about climate change.

http://www.ametsoc.org/policy/2012climatechange.html

HTH.

Cheers,
Scott.
New water from sky hits ground and is measured hth
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New (sigh)
A once in a blue moon flood from a storm surge is different from flooding from a line of thunderstorms. Conflating them, as the weatherman did, is a dishonest argument.

He's arguing with a strawman.

Cheers,
Scott.
New again he gave a list of years where flooding exceeding what is happening now
his argument is against the crap reporting "its never been so bad global warming"
Flood events in 2009, 2006, 1998, 1994, 1989, 1983, and 1979 brought higher water levels to most of Houston, and there were many very serious flood events before the 1970s.
edit added quote from story.
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
Expand Edited by boxley May 29, 2015, 11:09:15 AM EDT
New Now you're conflating
Reporting is bad. They exaggerate and sensationalize.

Bad reporters state true things (global warming) as explanations for not-true things (never been so bad). This bad reporting does not make the true things not true.
--

Drew
New how exactly is that "true thing" an explaination for the "non true thing"
its weather not climate
New You said it
"its never been so bad global warming"

That's your strawman. You are claiming that reporters use global warming to explain what are actually normal weather events, and that the events aren't as "unprecedented" as they suggest.
--

Drew
New thats what the article was all about, how to tell the difference and bad reporting
New Guess I'll have to address the piece
Everyone knows the climate is changing; it always has, and always will. I do not know of a single “climate denier”. I am still waiting to meet one.

Right there is where he tips his hand. Those who oppose the scientific method practice defense in depth: deny the evidence, deny the premises, deny the correlations, deny the causation, attack the messenger, attack the motives, etc. By very narrowly focusing on one particular point that is so vague as to be useless, he claims not to know a single person that meets his criteria.

And he's not arguing honestly.
I do encourage you to listen to the opposing point of view in the climate debate, but be sure the person you hear admits they can be wrong, and has no financial interest in the issue.

So ... does he admit that he can be wrong?
Spann is a signatory of the Cornwall Alliance for the Stewardship of Creation's "An Evangelical Declaration on Global Warming".
The declaration states:
"We believe Earth and its ecosystems — created by God’s intelligent design and infinite power and sustained by His faithful providence — are robust, resilient, self-regulating, and self-correcting, admirably suited for human flourishing, and displaying His glory. Earth's climate system is no exception."

Wikipedia

By his own criteria, I shouldn't listen to him.
--

Drew
     weather not climate - (boxley) - (10)
         Comparing flooding from thunderstorms with a tropical storm? Really? - (Another Scott) - (8)
             water from sky hits ground and is measured hth -NT - (boxley) - (7)
                 (sigh) - (Another Scott) - (6)
                     again he gave a list of years where flooding exceeding what is happening now - (boxley) - (5)
                         Now you're conflating - (drook) - (4)
                             how exactly is that "true thing" an explaination for the "non true thing" - (boxley) - (3)
                                 You said it - (drook) - (2)
                                     thats what the article was all about, how to tell the difference and bad reporting -NT - (boxley) - (1)
                                         Guess I'll have to address the piece - (drook)
         No, not this - (drook)

We could go on a quest!
222 ms