IWETHEY v. 0.3.0 | TODO
1,095 registered users | 0 active users | 0 LpH | Statistics
Login | Create New User
IWETHEY Banner

Welcome to IWETHEY!

New You probably know the name Nemtsov. What about Buznya, Kalashnikov or Sergienko?
The US and European outcry over the deaths of these Ukrainian opposition figures has been, shall we say, muted, and not only in comparison to the outcry which followed the death of Boris Nemtsov. Today we see nothing close to the outrage which ensued after the murders of Russian opposition journalists and activists Paul Klebnikov (2004), Anna Politkovskaya (2006) and Alexander Litvinenko (2006). The reason for this is not difficult to discern.

Our wondrously pliant Beltway media has, for months now, ignored the spate of murders and suspicious suicides in Kiev because it prefers not to report on the illiberal tide that is now sweeping over Kiev.

The lesson policymakers (as well as the many 2016 presidential aspirants) might take away from the example of post-Yanukovych Ukraine is that overthrowing democratically-elected governments, however corrupt, is not a promising recipe for building the kinds of ‘civil societies’ that we are told are in America’s interest.

American journalists and US policymakers might do well to focus more closely on the full dimensions of what is unfolding in Kiev rather than to continue to simply parrot the post-Maidan party line.

http://www.thenation.com/article/204921/least-10-opposition-figures-have-died-ukraine-just-year
New Kalashnikov is a pretty good rifle
Any opinions expressed by me are mine alone, posted from my home computer, on my own time as a free American and do not reflect the opinions of any person or company that I have had professional relations with in the past 59 years. meep
New Reads like an English version of a Russian knock off of Fox News.
Alex

"There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

-- Isaac Asimov
New Heh.
That's the first time I've ever heard any suggestion of anything The Nation and Fox have in common.
New All sorts of intelligent discrimination is under attack, even in academe
per this Nation article too: The New Thought Police.

Re Israel, the sophistry of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign emerges:
In her letter, the chancellor drew attention to civility, emphasizing it as a requirement for the exercise of academic freedom: “What we cannot and will not tolerate at the University of Illinois are personal and disrespectful words or actions that demean and abuse either viewpoints themselves or those who express them.” In Wise’s thinking, “viewpoints” have protected status. If that’s the case, will anyone who demeans Nazism, terrorism, racism, sexism, homophobia, or creationism be subject to punishment on her campus? Or are certain selective instances of “disrespect”—in this case, for the current Israeli government—the real issue here?
I quite recall the assassination of Anna Politkovskaya, but who can pay sufficient attention--across all of academe?--to discern if this Chancellor's simplistic doggerel has invaded well beyond Illinois, to become the new Norm.

Similarly, I can only suppose that 98.99% of various 'State' s propaganda re all matters Ukraine (given the massively-complex dueling Orgs. of all stripes there) ... are as simplistic as the products of our New/fatuous educators: are these pandering to an already language-demented demographic?/or creating. molding new, worse ones.

'Things fall appart..' (It's not just the Center 'which cannot hold'), in an era of batty-USSC poltroons and maybe widespread DNA damage (?) across the entire dis-US. It feels a lot like the dis-US I smelled as I began to grok the extent of the drain-bamage wrought by Tailgunner Joe, HUAC (and my Gramma.)

Now the same sort of stupid shit seems to be breaking out As. If. nobody alive even ever heard of McCarthy and the loyalty oaths and ... and ...

:oTpy

Murica: no attention span and even less memory of what already did Come Around: as mind-fuck stupid then ..as in its reprise now. It's nearing the time por moi to ignore another whole class of topics, rather than eat all that iggerant negativity.
Expand Edited by Ashton April 23, 2015, 05:36:27 AM EDT
     You probably know the name Nemtsov. What about Buznya, Kalashnikov or Sergienko? - (mmoffitt) - (4)
         Kalashnikov is a pretty good rifle -NT - (boxley)
         Reads like an English version of a Russian knock off of Fox News. -NT - (a6l6e6x) - (1)
             Heh. - (mmoffitt)
         All sorts of intelligent discrimination is under attack, even in academe - (Ashton)

A McFrankenstein creation of various elements not utilized by the home cook.
82 ms